A visit to Gyro Technic to explore building a kit...getting hooked.

I didn't start another build thread because Leigh did such a stellar job of documenting his Gyro Technic VX2 build previously. But I have been taking pics along the way and have finally updated my EAA builder log, which can be found here: Build Log for N557LJ

We're anxiously awaiting the Kanardia instruments and a Warp Drive prop to finish the build. Trig radios (VHF and ADSB Txpdr) just arrived so we can start installing those shortly. Registration is complete and card is in hand.

I'm getting anxious to fly it!

Attachments

• N557LJ1469.jpeg
    N557LJ1469.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 34
Leigh did an OUTSTANDING job of documenting his build. You really need to visit Manasota to appreciate what Denis has done! Craftsmanship taken to a higher level?

Leigh did an OUTSTANDING job of documenting his build. You really need to visit Manasota to appreciate what Denis has done! Craftsmanship taken to a higher level?
I'm well aware....I live a mere hour away, so I'm doing my build at Denis' shop. What the mind can conceive, Denis can engineer and bring to life! The workmanship on his kits is truly amazing.

Last edited:
I didn't start another build thread because Leigh did such a stellar job of documenting his Gyro Technic VX2 build previously. But I have been taking pics along the way and have finally updated my EAA builder log, which can be found here: Build Log for N557LJ

We're anxiously awaiting the Kanardia instruments and a Warp Drive prop to finish the build. Trig radios (VHF and ADSB Txpdr) just arrived so we can start installing those shortly. Registration is complete and card is in hand.

I'm getting anxious to fly it!
Nice EAA log page. Thank you for sharing.

Denis went from a proposed panel design yesterday morning, to finalizing my changes yesterday afternoon, and this morning showed me the final cut and engraved panel! Impressive. Kanardia instruments are due in tomorrow or Friday and we just got notice the prop will be delivered tomorrow which was the last component we were missing. Hopefully we can finish wiring it up next week, then get our inspector out to look it over.

Attachments

• Panel_3D_view.png
    Panel_3D_view.png
    150 KB · Views: 12
  • Panel_Layout_Final.png
    Panel_Layout_Final.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Panel_Engine_Switch_Closeup.png
    Panel_Engine_Switch_Closeup.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PFD.png
    PFD.png
    25 KB · Views: 9
  • EMS1.png
    EMS1.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 9
  • EMS2.png
    EMS2.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2053.jpeg
    IMG_2053.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 13
BTW, the phone mount in the center is incorporating a MagSafe charger permanently in the panel so when I pop my phone into the cradle it will be charging. I'm putting it on an AUX switch so I can turn off charging for cooling purposes if needed.

Just wondering, is there any plans for the Viking 130HP?

Engine selections are customer-driven. Leigh wanted to go with 912ULS, so Denis created a mount to adapt it to the GT-VX1, making it the 2. I wanted the 912iS, so Denis designed a mount to accommodate it and its accessories. I suspect if someone brought him a Viking he'd figure out a way to mount it.

Last edited:
Dave,
Any relatively flat boxer-type engine can be adapted to the frame rather easily.
However, when you get into the automotive-type engines with the block and oil pan hanging low, that will require substantial changes to the framework.
Not saying that won't happen sometime, but it is down on my list a bit.
For now, the 9XX engines are quick and easy, plug and play. (albeit expensive)
Denis

Loren been following your build log on the EAA site. Getting so very close now, very excited for you. Have you got Steve booked for the inspection or will you need to do some final testing first? Your build log looks great.

I am remembering how I was feeling at this stage, pretty anxious as we had the inevitable last minute glitches that cropped up, before that final inspection. Denis was an absolute rock throughout my journey, and made it an amazing adventure.

If building the Hornet with Stuart had been a memorable journey, this one with the first GT-VX2 has been just as exciting and hugely rewarding as I am sure it has been for you.

Looking forward to a four flight with the 2 GT Scouts and 2 GT Explorers in the air together.

Hi, Leigh. We are getting VERY close! I've been trying to update the build log after every day of working on it. First engine run may happen yet today. We shall see. I am getting pretty anxious to fly it. We're talking with Steve now about inspection dates. I'll keep you posted.

Loren

Last edited:
It's ALIVE!! First time firing up the entire panel. Still some configurations to work through but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

IMG_0084.jpeg

That's looking very neat Loren.

I notice that the EMS on the right has a different format display from the earlier post that had the round gauges.
That I suppose can display these as you prefer, but is that changeable in flight...or a choice you make and then stick with, until altered on the ground?

There seems to be some slight distortion on the screens but guessing that's just the light.

You're pod looks as though it may be slightly bigger than mine, but just a guess.

There seems to be some slight distortion on the screens but guessing that's just the light.
Leigh,
We still have the protective plastic on all the screens.
Several screen layouts which you can easily toggle through in flight.
Denis

Leaving the protective screens on make perfect sense :).

The ability to toggle though various screen sounds really versatile. Those Kanardia guys seem to have a very nice compact set-up.

Leaving the protective screens on make perfect sense :).

The ability to toggle though various screen sounds really versatile. Those Kanardia guys seem to have a very nice compact set-up.
Yes, they are quite clever little boxes, although your MGL does similar magic with the different layouts you have for it. I think this will meet my needs quite nicely, and they're programmable if we decide down the road that we want something different. Hopefully we'll hear the engine run tomorrow....crossing my fingers!

Like hearing a baby's first cry.:)

Hang test complete...CG right where we expected it to be. We did take it outside for a first start but it didn't fire off. Both pumps are running but it is like it is not actually getting fuel. A little more sleuthing will be required.

Attachments

• IMG_2321.jpeg
    IMG_2321.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 29