Votes: 37 51.4%
  • Probably.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
Chris, sounds as though an e-book might be a cost effective way to go.

Would be interested in such a book either way.

Chris
I think your idea is excellent and would be a valuable resource to the community both present and future. Since you have already acknowledged the tiny market you are playing to yours would be a labor of love. I would buy it but would prefer it in e-book form.

Thanks to everybody for your ideas and feedback.

As you all suspect, the reward I receive from this project is the use the information gets in the community. It is clear that this kind of information does not fill a pre-existing need or demand. It will probably be read by only a handful of people. Still, if it is the right handful of people (or is it a handful of the right people? :)) that would be plenty.

Clearly, publishing it electronically would not be a way to recoup any expenses or suffice as justification toward the family to take up much of my free time. That, to me, means that I will work on this project at a slow pace and it will get done whenever it's ready.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

-- Chris.

Chris, I would begin by saying that I believe that your input to the community, a very small one, is valuable. Anything you would publish would be well worth reading.

I am puzzled why you should believe that e-publishing is less rewarding that by the traditional methods. I would think that far more of the profits of a book go to the author in e-books.

Time given to the family is the most valuable. Time spend in side endeavors is secondary, in my opinion.

work on this project at a slow pace and it will get done whenever it's ready.
would seem a good compromise.

I beg to differ...

The main component of the final cost of such a type of book is the intellectual effort. And the author has to get a fair compensation for the said effort.

Beg to differ...I was specifically referring to the monetary cost of this kind of project....certainly did not infer intellectually the time and effort was not a consideration.

TO BE CLEAR!!!!:yo:

Crowd Funding

Crowd Funding

This site allows you to setup a project that people can pledge money towards. If a pre-determined goal is met, the money is tranferred to you, if the goal is not met then nobody is charged anything. The company that runs the site takes a small (I believe 2.5%) cut of whatever is raised.

This would be an easy way to figure out if enough would be willing to buy the book to make it worth charging for, or if it falls into the category of something you do until its done.

https://www.crowdtilt.com/

Beg to differ...I was specifically referring to the monetary cost of this kind of project....certainly did not infer intellectually the time and effort was not a consideration.

TO BE CLEAR!!!!:yo:

The 'monetary cost' can be very small, specially in the case of an e-book. But the effort of the author is not unusually undervalued, and the frequent piracy of every type of intellectual creation shows that very clearly.

I'm sure that publishing a book like this we're talking about as PDF would result in extensive unauthorized copying/reproduction, with no compensation for the author. I have worked all my life in the book publishing business and know well my subject...

I am puzzled why you should believe that e-publishing is less rewarding that by the traditional methods. I would think that far more of the profits of a book go to the author in e-books.

Hi Leigh, the reason is exactly what Xavier pointed out: publishing a book electronically will immediately generate a large number of unauthorized copies with only a small percentage actually paying for it. I found this out the hard way. My book ("Imagine Homeopathy" published by Thieme International) can be downloaded illegally from several servers in pdf format. Thieme is fighting an uphill battle against this. I understand that this is human nature and very few people have the integrity actually to pay for what they are receiving.

-- Chris.

Yes please

Yes please

ckurz7000, don't be put of by anybody.

I think the PRA/ EAA community would find such a book a very valuable and handy asset to have.

I would definitely buy one.

Consider the format though; an e-book might be the way to go. But if you are going to physically produce a book, then I think a ringbound soft (but thick and maybe plasticized cover) cover in about the same size an the FAR/ AIM would be the way to go. This will be hard wearing, will fit on your lap while flying or one a knee-board and easily paged through.
Leave enough spaces for note-taking while airborne, or pockets to stick notes into.

Graphs and tables need to be easily readable, even in a buzzing vibrating contraption in the sky.

Think about including a DVD in the back cover so folks can print out forms or tables or graphs and use those in flight, so they don't mess up their handbook.

You should put this idea to the EAA, PRA and AOPA, maybe NASA? and go to sites like Kickstarter, Indiegogo to get funding. You can also try PeopleStorms for more ideas and insights before you kick off the project.

Good luck. And hurry Up, I'll be needing one soon! :plane:

I think it would be a resource that many in the gyro community would find extremely useful.

But here are my thoughts, take them for what they are worth...

The market for such a book is incredibly small, and only a small percentage of that market will actually buy. Your return on the investment of your time will be small, and few will actually read your work.

However, if you decide to write it and publish it for free, many more people would see it, the gyro community would benefit overall, and you'd be helping a sport that could use all the help it can get in terms of safety.

There are many ways to view "compensation"...a thank you, a life saved, a cold beer, or a steak dinner.

I hope you write it!

-John

Chris,

I believe your concept is well worth pursing. While it may take some time to figure out how best to present it, there certainly is a need for the information and I believe helping fund and cover the costs is exactly the kind of project the PRA should be involved in. While I am not trying to speak for the organization I believe that kind of a discussion could and should be started. I believe many of the people on this forum would be hard pressed to pay $50 to $75 for a copy, but if the price were to be brought down to a lower price point, many would be willing to pay for it. Since you have already stated your motivations are not to try to create an income from the project but more to cover costs, I think a solution could be found. I hope you will not give up on the idea. I would be happy to present the idea to the PRA Board and see how we could get involved and help with a project like this.

kickstarter/Amazon

kickstarter/Amazon

Chris, I see someone else mentioned kickstarter.com. This is good site to see whom would be interested. The eBook is good idea, yes you will have piracy, you will also have piracy with a printed book. People have suggested selling it for cheaper. Here is something to think about, add some info about what a gyrocopter is and history along with the topics you have already mentioned. Get this on amazon, and set the price relatively cheap. You sell for .99 or 1.99 and with Amazon's search engine submission your eBook would get a lot of hits and potential buyers. Think about it people have no issue spending .99 to 1.99 to download the book. So that means more sales and also opens up potential buyers all across world. With the spreadsheets you could host them on a server for minimal cost a year, this will help prevent piracy as well.
I own IT Business and have friends that have sold software and such with the above in mind and have done better than they thought. Also when someone could buy something for .99 or 1.99 they are more prone to buy than pirate it.

The 'monetary cost' can be very small, specially in the case of an e-book. But the effort of the author is not unusually undervalued, and the frequent piracy of every type of intellectual creation shows that very clearly.

I'm sure that publishing a book like this we're talking about as PDF would result in extensive unauthorized copying/reproduction, with no compensation for the author. I have worked all my life in the book publishing business and know well my subject...

Again did not infer you did not know your subject matter....
Since I have no wish to debate your position I'll keep my offered solutions to myself...a self published e book, pdf author about racing motorcycles!

I still make a small sum from this...so have fun creating solutions instead of
what if this and that nothing ventured nothing gained mindset.

Peace out!

Chris this was of interest
I found this out the hard way. My book ("Imagine Homeopathy" published by Thieme International) can be downloaded illegally from several servers in pdf format.

Have two novels completed, slowly finishing being edited. Had contemplated self/ 'e' publishing but seems may have to look into that rather more carefully.

I didn't know you were an author, Leigh! Sounds intriguing. My decision to go with a publisher was because I couldn't bear the financial risk and didn't want to worry about marketing the book. The downside is you only get a (meagre) share of the proceeds.

-- Chris.

Not sure one is an author prior to publishing Chris, but one can live in hope.:)

Again did not infer you did not know your subject matter....
Since I have no wish to debate your position I'll keep my offered solutions to myself...a self published e book, pdf author about racing motorcycles!

I still make a small sum from this...so have fun creating solutions instead of
what if this and that nothing ventured nothing gained mindset.

Peace out!

I had a look with Google but I could only find your "other book", which seems quite popular. :rolleyes:

-- Chris.