A question for gyroplane pilots.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
Good afternoon John.

That takeoff procedure is unique to The Predator.

In my opinion you would be better off copying the POH for an AutoGyro product because they are more prevalent.

Better still would be to have people look up the takeoff procedure in the Pilots Operating Handbook for their aircraft.

If there is no POH for their aircraft writing one is part of phase one.

If someone came to me with a unique gyroplane without a POH we would develop a takeoff procedure and landing procedure together.

All of my check lists are constantly changing as I find out what works and what is superfluous.

The particular client I am writing about and modifying my syllabus for was clever enough to recognize that he did not understand the why of the procedure and asked me. We spent over an hour with lots of little demonstrations going over every detail of this simple procedure.

I had covered this all before. In my opinion learning is iterative and now that he had learned the steps it was time to go back over it.

The questions became what happens at 100 rotor rpm that allows me to bring the cyclic half back?

Why do I want to come half back?

What happens at 120 rotor rpm that allows me to bring the cyclic full back?

Why do I want to do bring the cyclic full back?

What happens at 180 rotor rpm that allows me to use full power?

Why do I want to wait till 180 rotor rpm to use full power?

Why does the nose come up shortly after apply full power?

Why do I want to balance on the mains?

What is The Predator trying to tell me when she is balancing on the mains?

I suspect I was too focused on what happens if you don’t do it correctly and not spending enough time with the why of each step.

He reminded me that he may be able to answer the questions without understanding.

It is my job to relate it to something he is familiar with and his experience with that the gyroplane validates.

I feel that better understanding the why of the process will help people to not forget the rotor and imagine it is all about air speed.

In my opinion I had been substituting procedure for understanding.

When I read most POHs I feel they may be substituting procedure for understanding.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
What I hope the final work product will be the procedures with the explanation of why following each step.

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
I think your student hit the nail on the head with the WHY questions.

My question is why he had to ask these questions. Surely a fairly basic study of rotor management theory would have answered most of them.

That said, he has highlighted a problem. Procedure, which is fine and necessary, is being relied on excessively to cover for poor understanding.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
At the end of the hour my client recognized we had covered all of this before we flew for the first time.

Now that he had experience flying he could better relate what I was describing to his experience.

In my opinion it was time well spent.

I feel some of my clients would have become inpatient with the length of the explanations (cost).

I may add a phase check/test for this to my syllabus somewhere around hour four.

My syllabus is very fluid and tailored to the client.

It is easy to imagine that someone understands when they perform well.

I feel this may be a teaching error.

So far I have a hundred percent pass rate for check rides and typically what I hear from the examiner is the client was over prepared for the test.

Brian P

Just the other day I tried pulling away in my car with the handbrake on. I've been driving for decades....wasn't fatigued... under the influence or under undue stress. It happens. We call it a brain fart.
I wonder if these incidences are mainly on mto variants where pre rotation occurs stick forward and the stick is brought back just before full power is applied.
When I learned to fly a fellow student felt he had to write down the full take off procedure and have it on his knee pad. The instructor went along with it for a while then took it away from him. He was lost. You generally learn by doing....combined with a good understanding of why you're doing it.