A pox on the GoPro 10

13brv3

Gold Member
That really IS a great discount directly from GoPro. I hadn't even looked at their shop yet. It would be so tempting to try the 10, since it seems wrong to buy an older model. If there's a no risk return, then it might be worth a shot. The discount on the 9 or 8 is less, and in fact the 9 and 10 cost the same. I'll try "narrow" mode on the 5 next, and see if that helps, but lighting also factors into this, and I'm not sure any camera will be able to read the display in all conditions. I guess having big analog instruments would be another solution :)

I looked into the Insta360 as well. It's a very cool capability, but not something I'd get much use out of now. Later when I get around to the gyro build I can see it being much more desirable.

Rusty

DonBishop

Aircraft
Mooney M20J
Total Flight Time
1200 hours
I think a ND filter would help. I noticed a little rolling shutter in some of your shots and wonder if it is exacerbated in a turn due to the stabilization.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
>1000
I think a ND filter would help. I noticed a little rolling shutter in some of your shots and wonder if it is exacerbated in a turn due to the stabilization.

I sometimes think that would help with the haze or smoke, but then I get distracted by another shiny thing and... squirrel!

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam; Previously owned Autogyro MTO
Total Flight Time
800 hours
I have not noticed this with the 8 or 9. The 8 and 9 have much better image stabilization than the 7. I have not seen the need to switch up to the 10, and now probably will not. I am guessing it's an issue with the image stabilization, as it works by essentially pixel shifting to create the stabilized image. The Insta360 cameras are also excellent though you have to decide if you want a 360 degree camera or a regular action camera similar to the GoPro. I also have the Insta 360 one R 1 inch camera which is excellent. Probably a little better image quality than the Go Pro 9 as you'd expect with the larger sensor.

Last edited:

13brv3

Gold Member
I did some searching around for GP10 flying videos, and mostly came up with drone footage. In all the videos I found, I never saw anything like what the OP had. With the discount, and return option from GoPro, I may give the 10 a try. Of course my plane is down for about a month to get the Dynon repaired, so I'll wait until it's ready to fly again before buying one.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
>1000
One thing I'll say about the Insta360 is the software it comes with is really good. The GoPro... not so much, which is why I didn't even look at their 360 camera.

GoPro's support never gave me any indication that this was a problem with my specific camera. Not that they were much use at all, to be honest... yes, I had turned it off and on again.

Andino

Aircraft
many FW airplanes + various autogyros
Total Flight Time
>1000 hours
Why stop at GoPro 7 when you can borrow my GoPro 3? 😇
The trouble with "improvements" is that the companies never seem to know when to let Very Good enough alone, and often lose prior qualities in their next version. OS software does this constantly.

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam; Previously owned Autogyro MTO
Total Flight Time
800 hours
One thing I'll say about the Insta360 is the software it comes with is really good. The GoPro... not so much, which is why I didn't even look at their 360 camera.

GoPro's support never gave me any indication that this was a problem with my specific camera. Not that they were much use at all, to be honest... yes, I had turned it off and on again.
So I am just wandering if this is some weird interaction of the vibration reduction algorithm or software and the 2/rev rotor shake. One could almost imagine that the shift you see on the horizon matches the 2/rev rotor shake.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
>1000
So I am just wandering if this is some weird interaction of the vibration reduction algorithm or software and the 2/rev rotor shake. One could almost imagine that the shift you see on the horizon matches the 2/rev rotor shake.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's trying to make the far off landscape the subject, and stabilise that as best it can. I never got around to pointing the camera further down so the gyro was in the middle of the frame, but I reckon that would have fixed it.

13brv3

Gold Member
I did end up ordering the GP10, and had the same issues, so I just requested an RMA for return. I was using it in a Sonex Onex cockpit where more than 50% of the image is fixed, not the outside view. It's clearly something in the stabilization algorithm because you can see the image jump side to side at the same time. The image quality and stabilization was night and day better than my ancient GP5, so I'll look for at least a 7 I guess. I'd love to see some flying video from the 8 and 9 to verify the issue doesn't exist.
Rusty

Last edited:

13brv3

Gold Member
As an update, I ended up buying an Insta360 One RS, and it doesn't seem to have any issues, though I'm not sure the image quality is quite as good as the GP10 or GP9. Yes, that statement means that I also bought a GP9, which indeed DOES have the same stuttering problem the GP10 has in turns. I got the GP9 mostly for the built in GPS and accel sensors that can be used for an instrument overlay. Since I got a good deal on it, I'll keep it and try to ignore the stabilization issue. The GP10 doesn't have anything over the GP9 as far as I'm concerned, and the GP10 is known to overheat. The Insta360 doesn't have a GPS, so you have to use their GPS remote. It has accel sensors, but they only get embedded in the video when you turn off the in-camera stabilization, which I'm not willing to do. The video also stopped after around 20 min on the Insta360 a couple times, which I think may have been overheating. Some day, maybe I'll actually put the 360 lens on the Insta360 and try that. My current camera location wouldn't make that worthwhile.
Rusty

MonkeyClaw

Aircraft
Columbia 400, AR-1c on order
Insta360 One RS or the Insta360 One X2 is going to be my solution to video. I have a GP7 (and 5 and 2), but the versatility of the 360 camera seems like a great solution. The final edits aren't as sharp, but the ability to catch all of the action without having 5 cameras mounted is well worth it. I'll probably end up with the 360 camera along with the GP7.

Georgi

Aircraft
gyro " Ultralight Bandit"
As an update, I ended up buying an Insta360 One RS, and it doesn't seem to have any issues, though I'm not sure the image quality is quite as good as the GP10 or GP9. Yes, that statement means that I also bought a GP9, which indeed DOES have the same stuttering problem the GP10 has in turns. I got the GP9 mostly for the built in GPS and accel sensors that can be used for an instrument overlay. Since I got a good deal on it, I'll keep it and try to ignore the stabilization issue. The GP10 doesn't have anything over the GP9 as far as I'm concerned, and the GP10 is known to overheat. The Insta360 doesn't have a GPS, so you have to use their GPS remote. It has accel sensors, but they only get embedded in the video when you turn off the in-camera stabilization, which I'm not willing to do. The video also stopped after around 20 min on the Insta360 a couple times, which I think may have been overheating. Some day, maybe I'll actually put the 360 lens on the Insta360 and try that. My current camera location wouldn't make that worthwhile.
Rusty
Just to get familiar with a new camera, before actual flying, install it on your car/truck/boat and do all kind "wheelies" to get "first impression".

Last edited:

13brv3

Gold Member
I spent some time this morning doing test pan shots on my front porch. I used most ever resolution, and every option for stabilization on the GP9. It seems like the 4:3 aspect videos work better than 16:9, so next time up I'll try the 4K 4:3 to see how that goes. Eventually, when I get the Aviomania flying, I"m sure the 360 lens for the Insta360 One RS will be the best option for video, though not so great for telemetry.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
>1000
I believe you can use your phone for the telemetry with the Insta, but then you have to edit it on the phone app, rather than the nice big screen on your PC. One day I'll play with this, I keep telling myself :)