A pox on the GoPro 10

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
I was really looking forward to getting my GoPro 10, but sadly it doesn't work as well as my GoPro 7 for flying videos. I'm going to borrow a friend's 8 (or is it a 9?) to see how that does. Anyway - the 10...

I noticed that the background scenery doesn't roll across the frame, it stutters. What I think is happening is that it's assuming that the subject is the centre of the frame, and is trying to hold what it sees in the centre of the frame in the centre of the frame as long as possible. Rinse, repeat :(

I logged a ticket with GoPro support, and their suggestion (sigh) was to do a factory reset and try again. This I did:

You'll notice that that time-wasting exercise made no difference, the background still stutters. GoPro's next suggestion was to turn off the stabilisation. I thought that would make the video unwatchable, and surprise, surprise, it does:

I'm not sure why anybody would buy a camera with image stabilisation and turn that off, but maybe that's just me. I also shot some video with the stabilisation at "standard" rather than "high" (which is how it comes out of the box). There's also "boost," but I doubt that'll make a difference:

I don't think I'd have as much of a problem if I pointed the camera lower, so I'm in the centre, but do you really want to be looking at more of the back of my head?

GoPro have asked to see footage from the 7, so I sent them

and are now asking for footage from the 7 without stabilisation, which I've suggested will be as bad as for the 10, but I guess I'll shoot that at the weekend. They're not very helpful.

Maybe I should have bought an Insta360 :(

DavePA11

Have you test the resolution and frame rate to the same settings as the GOpro7 since I assume the Gopro10 has higher default resolution and frame rates than the 7. Have to keep stabilization on. See if you can match all the settings with the 7.

Oh, what memory card are you using since this might be the issue if it’s not fast enough to handle the 4K resolution?

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
I've had the 7 set to [email protected] and it doesn't do this. I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Plus card - basically the 128Gb version of the 32Gb card that came with the camera. GoPro are reportedly very quick to blame memory cards, and their support said this one was supported.

I was playing with horizon levelling yesterday (haven't put a clip on YouTube yet) and that works just fine. I'm pretty sure that the problem is choosing the subject of the shot - it's trying to keep something waaay out there in the middle of the frame, rather than the back of my head. In a perfect world it would figure out the piece that isn't moving is the subject. In a slightly less perfect world it would let me tell it what's the subject, like it allows for exposure control.

I have thought of dropping the resolution back to 1080, but that's just for the file sizes - it takes ages to upload anything to YouTube :)

DavePA11

Barry M14 has a GoPro9 and don’t think I see this in his videos so maybe check with him?

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Oh, a friend has either an 8 or a 9 that I'm going to try. I don't think it's a problem with my GoPro specifically, I think it's something in the software :(

DavePA11

Does it happen with the 32GB card that came with the camera? Does it happen with the raw recorded video? Seems there are some computer related frame rate issues with nvidia cards. I’m just throwing things out from what I have read on the topic…

Last edited:

grevis

Aircraft
Mosquito XE285, RAF2000(Building)
Haven't tried this myself, but you may be able to define a set area within the field of view that the gopro bases it's stabilization on.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Does it happen with the 32GB card that came with the camera? Does it happen with the raw recorded video? Seems there are some computer related frame rate issues with nvidia cards. I’m just throwing things out from what I have read on the topic…
Yes, it happens with the 32Gb card too - I'm also seeing it in the output files direct from the camera, then I trim them down for YouTube to show GoPro. I do have a 1050Ti, but I can see this on my phone :(

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
Haven't tried this myself, but you may be able to define a set area within the field of view that the gopro bases it's stabilization on.
If you can, they don't document it anywhere :(

Next time I test, I'll see if I can use spot metering, and maybe it'll stabilise there too. Of course, I'll be setting the spot to be the taxiway, so it'll be interesting to see how that screws up the exposure :)

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
The seeming regular intervals between stutters reminds me of a conversion artifact I once encountered doing video capture. Is there a frame rate change or real time codec processing being introduced internally? Or is the video format native through the chain? Sorry I am ignorant of GoPro products.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
There isn't a frame rate change that any of my software can see - it's set at 60fps, and stays there. It is, however, written as an MP4 file. If that was the problem though, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the first to find it :)

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
I'm going to send the GoPro back, as I only have a day or so before I'm stuck with it. I'm really not impressed with their support.

Maybe I'll try again later.