A Old video taken off disc nearly as old of flying at Bindoon , Western Australia (near Perth) 2004 Episode 1

Where did all the metal rotor blades come from? Were they made in Australia?

Last edited:
Where did all the metal rotor blades come from? Were they made in Australia?
Many where made in Australia by Gerry Goodwin,Jack Allen, AK Rotor Blades (Moved to New Zealand for years and now are made back in Australia,probable the only blade manufacture still making blades in Australia) James Brown(Challenge rotorcraft ,closed down) and some others which I can,t recall

Thanks, Gyeric, times have certainly changed since that ‘04 film clip was made. I imagine that for 99% of the participants in that clip, hanging a $40,000 engine on the back of their gyro would have seemed obscene.

Love this thanks. What a great mixture of flying machines.

Thanks, Gyeric, times have certainly changed since that ‘04 film clip was made. I imagine that for 99% of the participants in that clip, hanging a $40,000 engine on the back of their gyro would have seemed obscene.
I could imagine things never really changed a whole heap from when you started in the 70's up until the $40,000 engines started getting put on $100,000 gyros. All the best gyros come from an earlier time, the $40,000 engines are nice though :).

wolfy

Let’s see; 4 pistons, 4 connecting rods, 8 valves, a crankshaft, a camshaft, a carburetor, ignition, etc.
Aren’t all 4 cylinder engines about the same; even those made by a subsidiary of a Canadian mega-conglomerate like Bombardier ?
And not one piece is made from gold.

Yeh for sure , the most choices were for the 2 stroke Rotax which I think were about $4000 to $5000 Aust dollars back then or go to Jap Importers and buy a low mileage Subaru EA81 for about $ 500 and then find a redrive , which cost more than the EA81 , the 4 stroke rotax have changed the engine option although at a cost

Last edited:
Let’s see; 4 pistons, 4 connecting rods, 8 valves, a crankshaft, a camshaft, a carburetor, ignition, etc.
Aren’t all 4 cylinder engines about the same; even those made by a subsidiary of a Canadian mega-conglomerate like Bombardier ?
And not one piece is made from gold.
Agreed, I do think they are a nice engine but I also wish they were cheaper.

wolfy