A new take on ultra-light gyroplane

The Pro version allows you to put in the settings when the file is saved so you can see material, measure and file type. If he saves the files as .x_t
a parasolid any CAD program can open it and see the material and dimensions with a click and not having to actually measure every part on all sides.

David

JonSu
Thanks for the update. I like the design.
The Rotax 503 depicted in your design, can i assume the thrust line is parallel to the bottom of the fuselage?
Is there an offset to counter the prop rotation?
I don’t want to make a mistake on the mount.
I am trying to build it just as you have dipcted

I can produce it with a table saw and drill press
I do not advise you to do the rotor head "at home"
Parts must be made on good machine tool equipment.
Otherwise there will be invincible vibrations.
The gyro system is better and easier to buy ready-made.
At least Skywheels (do not count for advertising)
It's my personal opinion.
And, unfortunately, it will not work to get 115 kg of the gyroplane design if you use the Rotax 503 engine (as I simulated)

Can you post a detailed drawing of the Rotor Head parts?
I have high hopes I can produce it with a table saw and drill press

Take it from someone that has built their own head using one of those combo lathe/mill machines - don't try. It was enough work I don't want to repeat it.
Today I'd just send the CAD files to a job shop and let them make it. Attached is a Zip of Solidworks files of the stock Bensen head .... for academic study.

Guess no file today. Says 1.14MB is too large for this forum.

Here is the head I drew up in solidworks 2013, but saved the assembly and part files in parasolid x_t format so any CAD program can open it.
Now these are for educational purposes, any other use is at your own risk.

David

Attachments

• Gyro Rotor Head.zip
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
Thank, David.
If the 503 puts it overweight, how many horsepower would be required to make it fly?
In order to keep within 115 kg of an empty design, in my version of the gyroplane you need to choose the lightest rotor system and propulsion system (engine + gearbox + propeller + exhaust system) based on a slightly lighter engine that would weigh 10 kg less and which can develop propeller thrust of the order of 100 kg. Let's say the engine is from a modern paraglider.
If for 1 kg of propeller thrust on a leash there are 2 - 2.5 kg of take-off weight of a gyroplane (gyroplane + fuel + pilot), then this will be very good.
At the moment, the design itself (without engine, gearbox, propeller, rotor, rotor head, mounting bolts, rivets and sheathing) weighs 50 kg (highlighted in blue in the figure).
So there is still the potential to meet the cherished 115 kg, I think so ...
103.JPG
102.JPG101.JPG
104.JPG

I wonder if it would come out lighter welding up the fuselage out of .028 chromoly, with various diameters?
Thanks JonSu, I will start looking for a lighter engine.

I wonder if it would come out lighter welding up the fuselage out of .028 chromoly, with various diameters?
Thanks JonSu, I will start looking for a lighter engine.
Welder, looking at my little wing plans it seems most of the tubing mounting the engine and around the cabin area is .035 wall. Personally I think this is a little light for mounting the engine. The motor mount for my kb2 for the mac engine is 1 inch by .065 wall. The flat plate used as a part of the mount is ..065 thick. This is in accordance with the Ken Brock plans.

Thanks for that giro5.
Yeah 028 is thin, but still pretty stout.
035 is the go to wall thickness, just trying to lighten up.
Keep up the good work!

JonSu Here is thought on your design. What if the front down tube (mast tube) of the cabin went from the front axel up to the rotor slanted back at 9 degrees. Tube 2 inch by .065 wall. Cheek plates could account for the rotor location as necessary at the top of the mast.. And the frame top tube from the back of the seat area back was clamped to the mast tube with say a 1/4 in thick rubber insulator. Clamp rings around the mast above and below the insulated clamp to keep the insulated clamp from sliding on the mast. The purpose here it to allow the mast tube to be "limber" instead of so rigid as your current design.. And there is one more thing that I would address and that is someway to shield the pilot from the prop blast.

Last edited:
I want to clarify about the weight of my design = 50 kg.
The weight of the chassis, gas tank, seat, pedals, engine mounts and rotor controls are included in this weight.
Weights do not include: engine, propeller, gearbox, rotor head and rotor itself, fuselage and feathering, engine hoods, instruments and dashboard, windshield, bolts, rivet nuts, rudder cable.
In general, that is not colored blue in my drawing ...
If you make a welded fuselage from steel pipes, it will probably be easier to manufacture at home, cheaper in cost of materials and weigh no more than my design.
For example, like this:
image_42537.jpg

Giro5.
Thanks, these are good ideas.
But I decided to use the rubber shock absorbers that attach my small mast to a rigid frame instead of a flexible mast.
If apply the fuselage skin and engine hoods, then the gyroplane may look like this:

000.JPG

Last edited:
You are the best JonSu!
The SkyRotor just keeps developing in a positive direction. Several very clever details. I gotta dump the nice looking rubber bush tires for something lighter weight. The end result won't look as nice as the large tires but will be lighter. I will be able to operate from a paved county road.

Last edited: