A new take on ultra-light gyroplane

Thank you
By the way, I thought about rotor pre-spinning.
Making a drive from the engine is, of course, good, but difficult.
In principle, the rotor on small gyroplanes is untwisted by hands.
Not very convenient, but simple.
I don’t offer anything new, it has already been applied. Make a drive similar to manual engine start - with a return rope. Sitting will be more convenient to do this. Movement from top to bottom.
As on some motodelts, the engine start knob.
It will not be difficult, autonomous and more or less convenient ...
The main idea of all this "disgrace" is to look at the design of the gyroplane from the "other" side ...
Well, and throw a couple of ideas. Maybe someone will come in handy ...

Thank you
By the way, I thought about rotor pre-spinning.
Making a drive from the engine is, of course, good, but difficult.
In principle, the rotor on small gyroplanes is untwisted by hands.
Not very convenient, but simple.
I don’t offer anything new, it has already been applied. Make a drive similar to manual engine start - with a return rope. Sitting will be more convenient to do this. Movement from top to bottom.
As on some motodelts, the engine start knob.
It will not be difficult, autonomous and more or less convenient ...
The main idea of all this "disgrace" is to look at the design of the gyroplane from the "other" side ...
Well, and throw a couple of ideas. Maybe someone will come in handy ...
Very nice looking design. Agreed about prerotator. I'm doing something similar in my build, using a length of flex-drive up the mast and coupled with a foot pedal crank and small right angle drive for manual (leg) power. Not designed for flight speed RRPM but better than standing on the seat using the "Armstrong" method. Light and simple with spring lever operated normally-off head engagement.

The lightest solution for an ultralight prerotator is either a brushless setup or a cordless drill motor driving a bendix. The problem of the pedal powered prerotator is that the prime mover, i.e your legs, is capable of only about 300 watts and the lengthy transmission would end up weighing more than the entire Brushless or cordless drill solutions and provide less RRPM as well.

The lightest solution for an ultralight prerotator is either a brushless setup or a cordless drill motor driving a bendix. The problem of the pedal powered prerotator is that the prime mover, i.e your legs, is capable of only about 300 watts and the lengthy transmission would end up weighing more than the entire Brushless or cordless drill solutions and provide less RRPM as well.
Thanks for the great info, John. It's not designed yet and I may scrap the idea while fleshing it out. But the original intent was to use very light gauge flex drive rated to about 1/4 HP (200 watts) and pedal gradually (not vigorously) up to perhaps 150 RRPM. Kind of a variation on Tim Blackwell's design of the recoil prerotator that I believe StarBee made available for a while. However I admit it's tempting to simply go the cordless drill route.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I believe you'll need roughly 1000 watts of power to get 150 RRPM Brian.

I believe you'll need roughly 1000 watts of power to get 150 RRPM Brian.
Looking through the RWF archives I believe you may be right. The Gizmo prerotator, though marketed as capable of 100 RRPM was reported by owners as being hard to get past 60. Leg power is more efficient but I see that it's the aerodynamic drag of the rotor where the theoretical brick wall is met. Haven't revisited this subject in a while, and thank you for the guidance.

I would install the Dragon Wings rotor.
I like him. He is the lightest of all.
Regarding its diameter, I advise you to contact Ernie.

The pilot weighs 70-110 kg
I did not think about the name.
Except for the working name "LightGyro "
But if we connect the two primary sources SkyRanger and Hafner Rotachute , we can get - SkyRotor ;)

Last edited:
JonSu
Could you share your thoughts on the steering wheel control of the Rotor?
I would like to see how you do it.
I have an idea, but I like your style.
SkyRotor, I like him

I am looking for an efficient way to control the rotor head, via stick or steering wheel. JonSu has not commented, so I wondered if anyone has a suggestion on how to best accomplish this?

I have been studying how to manufacture this little beauty for a while and have come to the conclusion that it is the perfect candidate for floats, I have a perfect launch ramp on the Cumberland River, and such a long runway eliminates the need for a prerotator.
The rotor control will be steering wheel operating pushrods and will pivot from a direct pivot from above.
I sure would like to get some constructive criticism from you guys.
I’m gonna stick with the bolted aluminum tube as it is well designed
Floats will be cheapo composite, hotwired blue foam and fiberglass.
What am I not considering?

I have been studying how to manufacture this little beauty for a while and have come to the conclusion that it is the perfect candidate for floats, I have a perfect launch ramp on the Cumberland River, and such a long runway eliminates the need for a prerotator.
The rotor control will be steering wheel operating pushrods and will pivot from a direct pivot from above.
I sure would like to get some constructive criticism from you guys.
I’m gonna stick with the bolted aluminum tube as it is well designed
Floats will be cheapo composite, hotwired blue foam and fiberglass.
What am I not considering?

If the controls are not typical gyroplane controls you may have a hard time finding a flight instructor to teach you how to fly it.

If you learn to fly a gyroplane in something with traditional controls you may have a hard time transitioning to non standard controls.

Floats adversely affect the center of gravity in relation to the thrust line.

Floats move the center of pressure down exacerbating the thrust line offset.