A new take on ultra-light gyroplane

JonSu

A completely off topic question for the SkyRotor designer. JonSu, have you designed any fixed wing aircraft?
Yes.
In 1986-87 I designed and built the single-seat "Nas'ka" aircraft. The abbreviation of my daughter's name is Anastasia.
In the 90s, I submitted a photo to "Kitplain" magazine called "Weekend Ultralight".
naska_01.jpg
naska_11.jpg

Later, in our aviation club, my friends and I built a two-seater plane "Nadezhda" (hopefulness) according to my project.
Шевлино 021.jpg

Last edited:

Welder

A Rotax 582 mounted onto the end of a tube took some engineering!
Nice job, I have always thought about efficiency in design and the tube is very efficient

Welder

JonSu has designed a beautiful tractor gyro. NO DOUBT about it.
I have been planning to build it as soon as I saw it.
I will share my plan to power this beauty. Arctic Cat single cylinder 397cc 2 stroke efi. 2021.
I will build the redrive. If necessary, I will buy a new sled and rob all the parts off of it.
Thanks again JonSu for sharing your design!

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
I will share my plan to power this beauty. Arctic Cat single cylinder 397cc 2 stroke efi. 2021.
I will build the redrive. If necessary, I will buy a new sled and rob all the parts off of it.
397cc is not enough horses for a single seat gyroplane, let alone a two seater.
A Rotax 503 (that is CCs) single carb (for a lightweight pilot) or twin carb (for a heavier pilot) is barely sufficient for a gyro. A 503 is enough for a two-place trike or light airplane or a powered parachute (w/ cart).

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
The 503 on a Bensen was not enough to get me higher than abot 500’ max but that was with a 52’’ three blade IVO in the UK at Henstridge 184’ 22C

I put a 503 with a 62’’ 3 blade warp on the Hornet and it flew well.

The dropped keel allowed the bigger diameter prop and I got a pull of 319lbs at Zephyrhills with is 90’ elevation at around 32C in September

Last edited:

Welder

The 2021 single cylinder efi engine produces 65 hp.
Let’s say artic cat misrepresents the actual power output. Now down to 50hp. Plenty of power and good enough for me.
JonSu modeled the SkyRotor with 50hp, so all is well!
The tractor style will allow a large prop turned by a high rpm engine to purrrrrrrr.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
What redrive are you going to use?

JonSu

I want to confess and repent.
I was very wrong about the landing gear of the tailwheel pulling gyroplane. believed (and declared) that the extension of the main landing gear of the gyroplane should be greater than that of the aircraft.
It was based on the study of the main landing gear of the late Cierva, Pitbull and LittleWing gyroplanes (up to 30 degrees).
This turned out to be a delusion. Autogyros should not differ in landing gear from an aircraft in any way.
Because while gyroplanes do not jump and they need a take-off run, and sometimes a run when the take-off is stopped, the more the main landing gear is moved forward, the more its movement along the strip is unstable.
The propeller thrust does not stabilize the apparatus, because its vector always passes (when viewed from above) through the c.m.
In addition, a gyroplane is usually shorter than an airplane and the rotor creates a tipping moment on takeoff and puts even more stress on the rear wheel.
Offset over 16 degrees of the main landing gear (typical for aircraft with a tail support) - complicates takeoff and requires more skill from the pilot (more pedaling).
Less overhang - places strong restrictions on the application of the brakes when stopping takeoff.
Based on this, I ask you to consider my autogyro project "raw" and, if someone does it, be prepared for difficulties in mastering takeoffs.
Best regards, Eugene.
PS. I agree with this picture:
gyrotype02.JPG

JonSu

I want to explain where the "legs grow" from.
Having defined some postulates based on the layout of the C-30 and LitellWing, we designed and built the Mishka gyroplane.
This was followed by my interactive projects.
But we did not fly on the "Mishka". This did not allow us to evaluate the adopted layout solutions.
The testimonials of the tester Vadim Aleksandrov were the most positive.
But, this is an experienced pilot who flew on light vehicles with a tail support.
It was not difficult for him to make a coordinated take-off run even on a vehicle with a large extension of the main landing gear.
Although, he noted the need to pedal constantly.
Further, I have accumulated additional information:
1. John Van Voorhees reported that out of about 20 sets of his Pitbulls, 10 were assembled, but all had problems taking off.
Even fairly experienced gyroplane pilots. John himself flew without problems, but he himself is a rather slender person of low weight.
2. The Pitbull clone built in Samara also had problems with takeoff.
3. The new owner of the Mishka gyroplane never mastered a normal straight takeoff. He bought and began to fly Xenon.
After consulting with experts, I came to the conclusion voiced above:
It is difficult with a large extension of the main landing gear (about 30 degrees), but it is possible to fly, but to simplify takeoff, it is better to have an extension of the main landing gear in the region of 16 degrees.
Not a bad scheme - a four-point chassis, like on the Dominator, de Havilland / Cierva C.24 or Kamov A-7.
In this case, the takeoff run, because the angle of attack of the rotor is not visible (unlike an airplane wing), it will be correct if the front and rear supports do not touch the ground.
Something like this.
I do not promise, but if possible, I will redo my projects.

Welder

Jonsu

Sir if you have the time, would you locate the center of gravity and the aerodynamic center of pressure of the SkyRotor?
My house remodel is nearing completion and I intend to start building in 2022.
I am planning to build it out of 4130 steel tube.

I hope you are doing well!

JonSu

The yellow rods are made from pre-fabricated unidirectional fiberglass.
The gray elements are made of steel.
But I have not yet calculated the strength, so the sections are taken "by eye".
This is just a concept.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Sweet!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Welder

Gyro Technic located in Minnesota manufacture some very nice looking blades and has in development a pre rotator driven by the Rotax 582. I am sure it will be a nicely engineered and functional as well.
I just keeps looking better for the SkyRotor.

Thank you for for sharing JonSu!