A Falcon is hatched.

Hello Animal
Your Gyro Is Looking Good !!!! And Yea Your Right, Selling The (harley) Bad Idea. You Know How Hard It Would Be To Save Up For Another One. Just Take Your Time And The Next Thing You Know It's In The Air.
I Am Just About Done With Mine, Some Fine Tunning And The Inspection And I Am Ready To Fly. 2 Mounths Ago It Felt Like I Was Never Going To Be Done....:D

Yes try and never sell your toys! Can't sell your Harley, thought he was kidding?
Also Tim if the resin is sticky or ?? If you post a picture of the type of join I'll ask the pro's the best way to fix it.
I think they just wet sand it down to the seam and split it apart and then apply a very thin hot coat? But have never done it so not sure how it works in real life.

some more wild ideas

some more wild ideas

Ok I have been working on the Falcon more this weekend. I noted when I had full back stick the stick was in my crotch, not fun..lol I always like to have my stick set up so when I fly I can rest my wrist on my leg with my arm relaxed.I learned by rotating the stick in it mount and trimming it down it brought it forward and down so that when I mount a pistol grip handle on it it would be a very comfortable angle full forward stick would have it even with my knee.

so then I started thinking about how do I want to do my throttle,did I want to make a slide lever or a twist grip. being that I have played with helicopter some i am use to a twist grip throttle. I found and old Harley handle bar that has just the right angles and I have decided I am going to install a harley throttle and switch assembly like on my bike, I will cut the end out so the switch housing will be mounted above the grip as shown, if you look close you will see that the start button would be in easy reach for in flight restarts if needed.

also I learned that even though the falcon has a nice panel, if you are in the seat and had shoulder harness on you can not reach it. I got looking and as you can see in the pick just temp. hanging, I learned that the pod that came with the gyro could be mounted upside down and that would gave a panel of easy reach for the electrics and a radio,if I can find one to fit.

what do ya'll think of those Ideas?

also you can see I got my fiberglass areas fixed.

Attachments

• IM007064.jpg
    IM007064.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007068.jpg
    IM007068.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007072.jpg
    IM007072.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007069.jpg
    IM007069.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IM007056.jpg
    IM007056.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007058.jpg
    IM007058.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007061.jpg
    IM007061.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ghost

Ghost

Hey Animal- did you see that apparition in your 7th pic.

the carbs

the carbs

OK the carbs on this engine where faceing forward when I got it and I did not like that as it was to close to the prop if ya had to adjust them.

I really was not to keen on dual carbs, but after seeing most the Gyros at Mentone haveing multipule carbs I decided to put them back on.
when I got the Engine from Dan M. he had just rebuilt the carbs and on the test stand we ran the engine up to 4,500 r.p.m. with out a problem, anyway with the way the carb setup was the linkage pulled the wrong way.

I turned the carbs around and now the linkage pulls the right way and the adjustments are easy to get to, So I guess I am going to give these a shot.

here are some pics. I need to figure out a way to mount some breathers. if nothing more then a screen and foam filter with a clamp.

do you think I will have any issues with the carbs faceing rearward and that close to the prop?

input requested.

Attachments

• IM007622.jpg
    IM007622.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007623.jpg
    IM007623.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007624.jpg
    IM007624.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1
Good Job Tim.

Thanks for the update and pictures.

prepareing the body for paint. and Horz. stab braces

prepareing the body for paint. and Horz. stab braces

Well I have decided pretty much how I am going to do the paint job.

I have decided on a base color of bright red and i am going to trim it with either yellow trim or silver trim with burgandy around the trim pattern.

the pattern is going to be like a big check mark on the tail and winglets and then on the sides of the body will be like a horazontal check with the short end ending where the windscreen brace starts and will run the long leg back along the door opening line ending where the body flare is

here are some pics of the braces for the Horz. stab and some of the body with the spot filler waiting to dry.

I also picked up some carbon fiber honey comb sheet to make a floor board with and plan to spray the inside with gray and white spatter paint.

it should look good when done. I am useing the same type premixed lacqure base coat clear paint that I did the bike with. it is cheap and looks good, just the clear is not very gas resistant. but I figure I have less chance of spilling gas on the gyro then I do gas leaking out of the bikes tank like it has.

anyway I think it should look pretty good for a cheap paint job.

Attachments

• IM007635.jpg
    IM007635.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007634.jpg
    IM007634.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007633.jpg
    IM007633.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007638.jpg
    IM007638.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007632.jpg
    IM007632.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IM007641.jpg
    IM007641.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IM007642.jpg
    IM007642.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2
Tim, do not use lacquer!!! It just does not hold up, you would be better off using spray bomb!
Tim you should be able to do a nice paint job on the cabin with a base/clear the base sprays just like lacquer, then the clear protects it and you can sand and buff mistakes out of the clear.
I would use a single stage poly on the rest of the machine, spray once, dries nice and shiney, chemical resistant.
OK next problem -----price$$$$
I have found a good compny that has quite a few options for paint at about 1/4 to 1/2 the price of PPG or DuPont.

I have been using it on the wife's mustang restoration.
Very easy to use and I saved a bunch of cash.
Let me know if you need to know more.
Bottom line, the prep and labor will be the same amount of work
if you use good paint or bad paint.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/

Tim it's really starting to come together!

This is exciting to watch and thanks for the pictures Tim way cool!!

Look at Stan's new painted Helicycle in is picture. Looks good Stan, soon Tim will have his painted photo up there too. We can't wait!!

Hey Tim
Are you going to enclose the engine area and mold in some cooling ducts
That would be a nice touch.
Also with the horz/stab that far back looks like it will be very pitch stable even with the engine at idle.
By the way your Gyro looks great.

Why don’t you draw up the graphics and haul it to Macco and have them paint it.
It could end up costing you less than the cost of paint. They will do a whole car for $250.00
you do all the body work and you will have a good job.

I like doing my own work and paint, to me that is half the satisfaction.

anyone can take something to get painted,I like the challange and the learning experance.

if it comes out good, then thats great, if it is just so so. then well I have learned more and it is still ok.

but I have to admit the body and prep work is pain.

I already know it won't be perfect, but then what ever is.

but hey I know it will at least turn out to be a 50 50 paint job. ( 50 feet/50 m.p.h. )

here are pics of my bikes I have done.

P.S. the black and silver bike was done with the cheap premixed laquer from dupli-color sold at advanced auto. so far it has held up well and trust me i don't baby it ,I built the bike to ride ( note the shine, i have not washed the bike in 2 months ) and the whole paint job cost me $113.00 plus my time. it shines like heck. I bet the red will be blinding.

Attachments

• ADDPIC-1.JPG
    ADDPIC-1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2EF0.JPG
    2EF0.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • Scan341, June 20, 2006.jpg
    Scan341, June 20, 2006.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • animal and bike.jpg
    animal and bike.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Body work what a pain in the a$$! but getting closer.

Body work what a pain in the a$$! but getting closer.

well needless to say it is alot more work then I had planned to get this body ready to paint. lots of filling and sanding and more fiberglassing,had already found 2 cracks where the nose gear come thru.

Probably from when a girl climbed into it the other day and almost put her foot thru the floor of the body. anyway I reinforced that area and also where it will bolt to the frame. anyway better to find it now then later.

also to cover the inside fiberglass area I sprayed it with some trunk spatter paint. it looks good so I am going to do the whole inside with it.

I put the first cost of primer on today and needless to say that showed me where more body filling needed to be done.

I am doing the panel with wrinkle paint. it looks good so far.

here are a few pics.

hope ya like it.

Attachments

• IM007661.jpg
    IM007661.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007660.jpg
    IM007660.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007659.jpg
    IM007659.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM007652.jpg
    IM007652.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1
no fat chicks...lol

no fat chicks...lol

Tim...you gotta start hanging out with skinnier chicks:)

Paul this chick was skinny, only 120 pounds and 27 years old, but when she stepped in, I told her to put her foot on the keel tube and she missed it.

Then I heard that horrorable cracking noise. oh well I have some carbon fiber honeycomb now to make a floor board with so that should take care of the problem. it was a bit awkward to climb in and out of when stepping on the keel tube.

Animal,
I have been lurking on your thread and have been enjoying it very much. Keep on keepin on, Good Job!

well it is going slowly due to funds, but it is slowly comeing together.

with any luck it will be ready to fly by next summer. I dought I will make enough money this year mowing lawns to get blades and a prerotatior.

But I am enjoying the Build.

I know it won't be as nice as alot of Gyros I have seen built on here,but I think it will be nice enough for me.

I wanted to get the cab painted,so I won't have to take it off again and can then continue with the plumbing and wireing.

hopefully will have it painted this week or next.