A cross country (or cross city) flight from KWHP to KTOA

Very nice video Peter.

The commentary was great, clear, concise, interesting with no waffle.

Your camera set-up is good, the trip and transitions through the various airspaces nicely talked through.

Music in the beginning was a little loud and after a while annoying because in order to hear you the music was too loud but later on that seemed to be sorted.

Will make an excellent student briefing video.

Great job.

Took my eldest son to Burbank to help him do some instrument time when he was doing his ATPL some years ago, so it was nice to see that again, he’s presently a 757 Captain with a Charter Airline in the UK.

As a FW instructor operating from Opa Locka FL in the 60’s the Goodyear blimp had a hanger on the airfield and was a resident there, so that was another nice little blast from the past.

Last edited:
Hello Peter,

I agree with Resasi, very well done.

I do have to ask, why did you choose the route in the video as opposed to flying over LAX using the Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Area? The latter is a more direct route.

The next question. While flying over the city and below the Class B airspace, were you monitoring and providing position reports on 123.025 when North of the 91 Fwy and 122.850 when South of the 91 Fwy respectively? Below 2000 MSL there is a good volume of freeway traffic reporting, TV, police, military rotor craft, and VFR fixed wing aircraft flying around in that same airspace. It is very good practice.

I'm sure you are familiar with the Southern California Airspace Users Working Group (SCAUWG). A very long time and good friend of mine, Ron Berinstein CFII and FAASTeam Representative is the creator and administrator of the website.

Keep up with the videos. My fixed-wing friends enjoy watching.

Wayne

Hello Peter,

I do have to ask, why did you choose the route in the video as opposed to flying over LAX using the Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Area? The latter is a more direct route.

The next question. While flying over the city and below the Class B airspace, were you monitoring and providing position reports on 123.025 when North of the 91 Fwy and 122.850 when South of the 91 Fwy respectively? Below 2000 MSL there is a good volume of freeway traffic reporting, TV, police, military rotor craft, and VFR fixed wing aircraft flying around in that same airspace. It is very good practice.

I'm sure you are familiar with the Southern California Airspace Users Working Group (SCAUWG). A very long time and good friend of mine, Ron Berinstein CFII and FAASTeam Representative is the creator and administrator of the website.

Keep up with the videos. My fixed-wing friends enjoy watching.

Wayne

Let me address the questions one by one:

1. Why did I choose the route through the Alameda corridor rather than the Special Flight Rules airspace over KLAX?

Well, it was a personal choice. I like both routes, and I have flown them both enough to feel comfortable either way. Additionally, being in a gyro, I naturally like to stick closer to the ground, and if the marine layer was to close the special flight rules corridor, the other route is usually open.... and yo talk to less towers... if that was a factor... :)

2. Do I self-announce on 123.025 over Downtown and the vicinity?

As I leave KWHP, I immediately switch to Burbank. In fact I ask KWHP ground to help me in advance with squawk code. KBUR controls me until I reach the edge of Griffith Park. From there through Downtown and beyond I do monitor 123.025 and my ADS-B in display (which works very well with helos), but only self-announce if there is traffic that could be affected by my presence. Once I enter the Alameda corridor east of teh surface Bravo, I still monitor the frequency, but I also keep an eye on the airliner above since it is possible for them to bust the Bravo floor and then regardless of whos fault it is, I am too small to complain. As I approach Compton, I switch to their frequency (123.50) so I can slice their airspace. This is one busy airport, so one should be extremely careful slicing through the pattern. After Compton, I am already on KTOA tower frequency, which gives them time to prepare for my grand entrance... :) :) :)

I am familiar with the Southern California Airspace Users Working Group (SCAUWG), and have been in some of Ron's FAST classes- I wish those return soon to a conference room near you.

Clover leaf pattern at KBUR would be something nice. I did 1/2 that in a Cessna 182 few years ago. Maybe I will ask them for permission next time I fly on a sunrise flight and there is almost zero traffic at the airport - I just hate being a nuisance for no good reason... :)

I will post a night video from KTOA to KWHP through the Special Flight Rules corridor soon...

Hello Peter,

Wayne
Transition routs are full of fast planes that aren’t looking for gyroplanes.

LA center is busy as is LAX approach and they are not expecting a seventy five knot gyroplane.

I use the route that Peter took.

Hello Peter,

KBUR is very accommodating with transitions through their airspace. I've never had a problem. A great group of controllers.

For the past 25+ years, Compton Airport (KCPM) has been a haven of flight training for students from Asia. Radio communications has been a problem because of the lack of fluency in the English language. It is good to listen to the CTAF, however since many of the students are not fluent in English, they often forgo traffic reporting because the airfield is uncontrolled.

Yes, flying along the Alameda Corridor, it is very common for foreign registered commercial airliners to "bust through the bottom" of Class B airspace when turning final for either 24L & 24R at KLAX. Before the days of ADS-B, I have had on two occasions foreign registered B-747s overtake me less than 500 ft above as they busted through the floor of the Class B.

For those who may not know, the Alamedia Corridor is a very visible 20+ mile, north-south, triple track, main line freight rail right-of-way trench owned by the Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority. Both the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroads have trackage rights. The Alameda name comes from the north-south Alameda Blvd that is adjacent of the right-of-way. The primary reason for this rail line is to haul shipping containers from Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors to the UP and BNSF rail yards just outside of Downtown Los Angeles without tying up city streets with grade level railroad crossings. Prior to the installation of the corridor, the shipping container trains followed 100+ year old right-of-ways.

Wayne

1626920356950.png
1626920155244.png
1626920635986.png

Hello Peter,

KBUR is very accommodating with transitions through their airspace. I've never had a problem. A great group of controllers.

For the past 25+ years, Compton Airport (KCPM) has been a haven of flight training for students from Asia. Radio communications has been a problem because of the lack of fluency in the English language. It is good to listen to the CTAF, however since many of the students are not fluent in English, they often forgo traffic reporting because the airfield is uncontrolled.

Yes, flying along the Alameda Corridor, it is very common for foreign registered commercial airliners to "bust through the bottom" of Class B airspace when turning final for either 24L & 24R at KLAX. Before the days of ADS-B, I have had on two occasions foreign registered B-747s overtake me less than 500 ft above as they busted through the floor of the Class B.

For those who may not know, the Alamedia Corridor is a very visible 20+ mile, north-south, triple track, main line freight rail right-of-way trench owned by the Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority. Both the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroads have trackage rights. The Alameda name comes from the north-south Alameda Blvd that is adjacent of the right-of-way. The primary reason for this rail line is to haul shipping containers from Los Angeles and Long Beach Harbors to the UP and BNSF rail yards just outside of Downtown Los Angeles without tying up city streets with grade level railroad crossings. Prior to the installation of the corridor, the shipping container trains followed 100+ year old right-of-ways.

Wayne

View attachment 1152951
View attachment 1152950
View attachment 1152952
Wow that corridor is impressive, some of the infrastructure you guys have over there is simply mind blowing(y).

wolfy

Hello Peter,

Wayne

View attachment 1152951
View attachment 1152950
View attachment 1152952
Yes, Burbank is a very easy Charly airspace to transition through - they have great experience with GA, and are very accommodating. In fact I am so spoiled talking to them, I get annoyed at some other Charlies that are not so accommodating... :)