A Cavalon Crashed

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
Thanks, Vance. Sounds more realistic. Most of the videos I've seen looked more like 820 feet just to get off the ground. And some landings looked as long, but we can't blame the machine for that. :)

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
When AG says takeoff distance, I assume they mean wheels off the ground... no mention is made of any obstacles.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
When AG says takeoff distance, I assume they mean wheels off the ground... no mention is made of any obstacles.
From the Cavalon POH

Take-off and landing distances account for a 15 m obstacle

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
I was quoting their sales literature, not the POH. The only note was "typical aircraft configuration, 1 pilot (175 lbs), 10 US gal fuel, 2000 ft MSL" (didn't mention obstacle). Was for a Rotax 915

Last edited:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
AG marketing says 30m for takeoff, but that's probably off a hard surface, no tailwind, etc. Then one would need to go 10 feet higher to clear cars, etc. But I'm not sure this guy understood what it really takes to get all that to happen actually.
30 meters for takeoff. Yeah right.
Read the POH. MTO Sport 2017 with 914 to clear 15 meter obstacle at 15 C, at full weight at sea level (standard definition of takeoff distance) gives 637 meters (2090 feet) and that IMO is correct when you see it perform. Marketing material well ...

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
I was quoting their sales literature, not the POH. The only note was "typical aircraft configuration, 1 pilot (175 lbs), 10 US gal fuel, 2000 ft MSL" (didn't mention obstacle). Was for a Rotax 915
Doug Riley with enough fuel for one circuit might manage it, but he would have the good sense not to try.
I wonder how much of the 10 U.S. gallons is unusable. :)

Greg Vos

Aircraft
R44/22 H269/300 MD 500 Magni (all); Xenon RST; DTA; ELA; MTO
Total Flight Time
2480 odd (1300 gyro hours & counting)
Read the POH. MTO Sport 2017 with 914 to clear 15 meter obstacle at 15 C, at full weight at sea level (standard definition of takeoff distance) gives 637 meters (2090 feet) and that IMO is correct when you see it perform. Marketing material well ...
👍
even a 5-6 knot tail wind on a gyro can have a dramatic impact on take off distance and I don’t recommend it unless the R/W is long or you have a very high pre rotate energy, even a high pre rotate Rotor speed really has been proven to not add much value in take off distance ... if this pilot was taking off down wind to avoid cross control inputs then he is an idiot and IMO needs training not only as a pilot but on situational awareness, let’s not forget he could have killed a innocent person not only with him but a person on the road 😳 let’s hope we are all speculating? And he appears with a credible explanation

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
IMO needs training not only as a pilot but on situational awareness
Right now he needs hospital...and a psychiatrist to convince him he is not ‘Sky’ King, if he did think he could TO in that distance.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
30 meters to break ground might work as a "take-off, but that only gets you above the grass, not the trees.

Oops - just noticed your post #22, Tyger. Department of Redundancy Department strikes again.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Lucky man (don't know his condition yet) not to be hit by a passing vehicle! We've lost a beloved TV host in an heli emergency landing where the vision was interrupted by an overpass and the trucker could not avoid hitting the craft.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
I think redundancy needs to be stamped out and abolished!

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Odd way to spend $100k. He could have just deposited the cash to my Paypal...

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
There's no way they could have meant it can clear a 15m obstacle in 30m. Thirty meters has to mean just wheels-up.