9 volt battery warning!

Sheldon

Early this morning I awoke to a loud POP! almost sounded like a .22 short going off. I got up looked around the kitchen (which is where the sound came from) and found nothing at first.....

As I headed out the door to take care of critters I found this 9 volt battery, the wife had bought several to put in smoke detectors but had not done so yet.

They were sitting all grouped together not touching anything, but one of them well look at the photos...

Why it did this a single cell exploded possible plugged vent, but note it is of Chinese manufacture. So if you have some of this brand beware!!!

PC108409.jpg

PC108407.jpg

PC108412.jpg

PC108413.jpg

Last edited:
Ask for your money back.
Date indicates it is not "expired" until 04-2011.
That battery is definitely expired.

I remember as a kid making the mistake of carrying one loose in my pants pocket with a couple coins. It's how I first learned to dance.

Sure it didn't come to rest against something metal across the snaps on top?

A bit odd that they are mostly used in smoke alarms, considering what a fire hazard
that design is. Murphy.

A bit odd that they are mostly used in smoke alarms, considering what a fire hazard that design is.

The 9V presents no greater fire hazard than any other multi-cell battery, except for the location of both contacts in the same plane, close together. Once it's in the detector, it should be fine.

Everyone knows if you are going to buy a battery, to get a duracell

The location of the contacts is what I was referring to, Paul.
That and the ease with which they can be wrongly connected.

Were it not for their miserable power output and consequently their use mostly
in very low-current devices, we'd hear a lot more about them.

I think they were a legacy design. Some old radio batteries use similar connectors.

Surprising they still exist, in this safety-obsessed world.

Why do people buy crap batteries and expect good results.

Most of the good battery's these days are made the same way and often at the same factory or using the same suppliers for parts, if it doesn't specifically say made in the USA.... :sorry:

Over the years I have heard of more than one person doing a dance after a 9 volt battery shorted out against something metal in their pocket...:help:

N no the battery was not touching anything, it was standing up on end with the other two all by their lonesome on the counter.

My experience with alkaline batteries has been nothing lasts as long as Duracells. Not energizer, not rayovac, not radioshack brand, nothing. Especially not the cheap no name stuff sold at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool etc.... Duracells cost more, but last so much longer they end up costing less.