582 on a gyrobee?

gyrosherwood

Does anyone out there or Do you know anyone that has a 582 on there gyrobee.
Reason I asked is that since I bought my 582 I set it on the engine mount and found that in the location of were the engine mount is at now and with the 582 with a C gearbox and a 60" three blade prop. I am about 6 to 7 inches lower than were the original 447 prop centerline is and the Prop will hit the keel tube. Will it hurt to move the engine up and just make sure that my center thrustline of the Prop is in the same place as the 447?
I have to make a beefier motormount anyway to hold the 582 and add some brackets to the aft end of the mount to support the back part of the motor mount to the keel .
Thanks Brian:confused:

Last edited:
I believe Jay Boyce has a 582 on his gyrobee. I think I remember there being someone else also, but can't recall who.

Jay has a 618 on his now. He had a 582 and then upgraded to the 618. The 618 was on it down at Bensen Days.

Todd,
I think Jay has a 618 on his. He showed up with a 618 on his purple tailed Bee.

giro5 said:
Are the gearboxes installed the same way?

Ditto.

There isn't anything different - by much - that would cause what you described, unless the gearboxes are not both in the down position.

Jay's handle on the forum is Dangerbird

Thanks guys
But now I am going to tell you how STUPID I AM !!!!:rolleyes:

Forget eveything that I just mentioned in my PRIOR POST.
Thanks to my wife helping me She found my mistake!!!
I THINK I AM GOING TO SEND HER TO SCHOOL TO BE A A&P. HA!!!

I forgot that the prop that came with the engine is a 66" prop. I still have to cut 3 inches off of the Prop. DA!!!!
Also I took and just set the engine on the mount and measured the distance from the center of the gearbox to just 1-1/8"above the keel and I found out that I might only have to raise the motormount about 1". Maybe!!
I still need to make a stronger motor mount anyway so everything should be ok. THANK GOD!!! I was really stressing out . Here are some Pictures of what I am talking about.
In the one picture you will see that at the bottom on the keel there is a bracket just below the prop . That is a 1-1/8 spacer just to get my distance away from the keel and help me hold up the prop.
Remember I still need to cut of 3 inches yet.
8-25-02-6 resize 500.jpg

8-25-02-3 resize 500.jpg

8-25-06-4resize 500.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes those wives do have their moments. Ha.

Kinda makes a guy want to just hurt em tho.
lol

They really are the jewels by our side.

Thom

I may upset everyone by admitting that I have a 2-blade 66" prop on my 'Bee. I borrowed both engine and prop from my Kolb airplane. I created extra clearance mostly by tipping the engine front-end down.

I made sure that the rest of the lower half of the gyro was very light (plastic wheels, a lightened-up nose block, raised footpegs and overhead stick). I also put -3 deg. incidence in the Watson HS. The gyro has a strongly stable reaction to power changes.

Attachments

• GB-3.jpg
    GB-3.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Doug,

I'm truely shocked at this scandalous revelation!

Ralph:eek:

Hello Brian.

I would agree with Mr Doug Riley.

I have a 68" prop on a 582 A/C and the clearance from prop to keel is 1.1/2"
Do some thing but dont lose those 3" of prop and thrust.

And yes you can always rise your seat for a better thrust line requirement.

Best wishes.
Rehan

Rehan, I imagine you have an Air Command Elite, with a high seat. It's not possible to raise just the seat on a Gyrobee without changing some other things. The seat height is limited by the height of the forward diagonal aluminum angles (to which the seat and shoulder belt are bolted). If you raise the seat and don't raise the belt attachment point (because there's no room to do that), you will end up with shoulder belts that pull DOWN on your shoulders. That can lead to spine injury. The shoulder belts must approach your shoulders from above.

A 'Bee should have a prop thrustline no more than 2" above the CG, and the less, the better. Dropping the engine by 2-3 degrees at its front end can buy you a little more prop-tailtube clearance without increasing thrustline offset. Be careful about using up too much of the prop-keel clearance with long props, since this tail tube is not supported near the prop, and can therefore flex upward on landing.

(Ralph, I'm afraid I have a Franken-Bee. The engine and prop are from a Kolb, the scrub brake and the gimbal part of the rotor head are from my old Bensen, and the instruments are borrowed from my Air Command. All good, low-time stuff, mind you.)

Thank You Sir.

Its always a pleasure to read your posts.
Specially when it mentions my name, its just overwelming to me.

Best regards.
Rehan