51% rule

John, My Dom. weighs in, around 500# empty, I would guesstimate with a Sub. engine your Dom. will be in the same ballpark weight wise. Ernie recommended 26' cruiser blades for my weight of gyro.

John- It is very rewarding to fly something you have built. Looking forward to seeing your machine come to life.

Stan

Bump For Answer

Bump For Answer

Tom, or others...

Do you have a link or a pdf copy of the Approved 51% list that was in effect prior to OCT 2009? I am not using any Commercial Assistance so "use prior policy" applies according to AC 20-27G.

The new Mini-500 kit I am assembling was on that approved list and it is not on the NOV 2013 list. I don't want to have to complete an Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist to prove 51%.

Please advise.

I have been having a lot of problems with applicants getting denied for not having adequate documentation regarding the 51% rule, then they turn to me to help them out. A denial letter turns up the power on the FAA's microscope, and no one wants that to happen. It could be the beginning of a long, nightmarish ride.

It would be nice if this was a sticky. I intend to put more useful stuff like this on my web site.
I have copied the actual text from the inspector's orders published by the FAA. The Orders, FAA-8130.2g incorporates this mandate:

e. Proper Documentation. Amateur builder(s) need to be able to provide adequate and
sufficient documentation to detail the construction and inspections of their aircraft.
(1) These records need to clearly indicate what was fabricated, assembled, or inspected,
by whom, and the date the activity was performed.
8/31/2010 8130.2G
4-57
(2) Documentation should clearly show who performed the task(s), describe when and
where the tasks were performed, depict the methods of acceptable aeronautical construction and
practices, and document the use of commercial and noncommercial assistance.
(3) The FAA must be provided with sufficient information to make a major portion
determination. This documentation may include the following:
(a) The Amateur-Built Aircraft Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009).
(b) Comprehensive builder’s logs in any format, to include photographs of all the
steps included in each of the listed tasks in the Amateur-Builder Aircraft Fabrication and
Assembly Checklist (2009), materials and techniques used in construction, as well as dates,
locations, and detailed descriptions.
(c) Photographs/video/DVD.
(d) Drawings and engineering specifications.
(e) Kit manufacturer’s data, when necessary.
(f) Relevant documentation (for example, plans) and references (for example,
handbooks) used.
(g) Documentation concerning any commercial assistance used, including receipts.
(h) Documentation concerning any non-commercial assistance used.
(i) Article inventories and histories.
(j) Receipts and catalogs.
(k) Logbook entries.

d. FAA Responsibilities at the Time of Certification. At the time of airworthiness
certification, the FAA must―
(1) Ensure the aircraft is complete and all documentation is sufficient, credible, and
adequate. If the applicant cannot, or will not, provide a statement of eligibility
(FAA Form 8130-12), or the documentation is inadequate to make a major portion
determination, the applicant should be advised that the aircraft cannot be certificated as an
amateur-built aircraft and a denial letter will be issued.
Gyros and Helicopters may have enough similar processes to the finish line, that this form will accurately calculate the percentage
that you did yourself, on the way to 51% or more. Send me your email and I will send it to you. I don't think you can get it off the FAA's website anymore. The form may have been eliminated but it works greAT. 51% rule

Today, if we are trying to get an Airworthiness Certification for an experimental aircraft, we have to use the FAA AWC - Application Portal. (new website).

The FAA changed the process at the end of 2020.

You have to have your kit or experimental exhibition registered with an N number before you can proceed with the process.

Here is the initial screen of what it looks like. You need to create a new application and go through all the steps.

51% rule

The website will request all of the following documents:

1. Program Letter

2. 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness:

3. 8130-12 Statement of Eligibility: Fill this out entirely, sign and date the bottom, and it must be notarized.

4. Amateur-Built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2011) Gyroplane

5. POH for the aircraft

6. W and B for the aircraft

7. Builders Logbook or Builders Manual from the Kit Manufacture

8. 3D or 2D diagrams of the aircraft

After you upload everything and review your application, you can submit it to the DAR from your FSDO.

Then you will contact the DAR by phone or email to tell that person that an application has been submitted, and you will send the application number.

Also, the DAR will request photos of the aircraft's data plate, registration certificate, passenger warning placard installed, experimental placard installed, and N number installed on the aircraft.

You need to have a logbook ready, filled out with aircraft information and with your Part 43 statement written in and signed by you as the "builder."

"I certify that I have inspected this aircraft on (XX-June-2024) in accordance with FAR 43 appendix d and have found it to be in a condition for safe operation." Signed ______________Builder

Then, the DAR will make an appointment with you for the final inspection and for the aircraft to receive the AWC.

I have used this process in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Thanks, The FAA is changing faster than it used to. This is news to me.