40 Hour Fly-Off

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
I purchased my RAF from a guy who had not completed the 40 hour fly-off. The restriction states the airport where he was to complete the 40 hours. I don't live any where near that airport, how do I get the airport restriction changed?

Also, can any licensed gyro pilot fly off the 40 hours?

Yes any cretified pilot with Pvt or above can fly off the hours-contact the local FSDO for a new flight test area.

Not a gyro sport pilot?

FSDO was helpful.

FSDO was helpful.

Hello Mike,

When I installed the IO-320 in the Predator I had to fly off 5 hours.

The Operating limitations for the Predator were for the Marysville area which is around 250 miles from here.

I contacted the flight standards district office, AKA FSDO, and they gave me new operating limitation centered around Santa Maria. They extended it a little so I could fly to specific airports and they even sent me into another FSDO’s area.

They were very helpful and the whole thing was fairly painless.

At that time I was a private pilot, rotorcraft, gyroplane rated pilot so I don’t know if a student pilot can fly off the hours.

It is probably a bad idea for a student pilot to be playing test pilot because you should be learning a lot and documenting about the performance of the aircraft. Some of it may not be apparent to a student pilot with a solo sign off.

In my opinion the fly off is not just some FAA formality; it is an important step in the life of an experimental aircraft and a time when building mistakes become apparent. A student pilot may not be prepared for these challenges.

Thank you, Vance

Hello Mike,

When I installed the IO-320 in the Predator I had to fly off 5 hours.

The Operating limitations for the Predator were for the Marysville area which is around 250 miles from here.

I contacted the flight standards district office, AKA FSDO, and they gave me new operating limitation centered around Santa Maria. They extended it a little so I could fly to specific airports and they even sent me into another FSDO’s area.

They were very helpful and the whole thing was fairly painless.

At that time I was a private pilot, rotorcraft, gyroplane rated pilot so I don’t know if a student pilot can fly off the hours.

It is probably a bad idea for a student pilot to be playing test pilot because you should be learning a lot and documenting about the performance of the aircraft. Some of it may not be apparent to a student pilot with a solo sign off.

In my opinion the fly off is not just some FAA formality; it is an important step in the life of an experimental aircraft and a time when building mistakes become apparent. A student pilot may not be prepared for these challenges.

Thank you, Vance

Well said.