27' McCutchins

Gyrodon1

Aircraft
Gyro N132DH
Total Flight Time
A bunch!
I have a set of 27' McCutchins and would like to cut them down to 24'
I have 3' hub bar and blades are 12' has anyone done this I was thinking I could cut them inbd side of blades ond redrill them and ck balance. Please let me know I have no use for 27' would consider trades also. I an in N.C.

Thanx, Don H.

Are they in great shape / new?
Do you want to sell them?
Lets see some pictures.

Outboard

Outboard

not 100 % sure but you can cut down the blade on the outermost part of the blade. the root where it attaches is specially reinforced and is not a good idea to mess with that. Once you cut them down you have to make sure you leave the vent hole in place with a piece of straw and then re-balance them.

You shouldnt cut a finished blade. You don't know whats inside. You could unintentially cut a key piece.

I suggest you sell the 27' and buy what you need.
Good luck.
Jon

It is possible but you have to be careful with the new holes. Blades come with (if I remember correct) with one degree pos. so your drill has to be adjusted accordingly.
As others said it would be best to sell them to somebody who needs 27' blades and buy what you need.

NO.....NO Please dont cut em.
Find a new home for them.
Buy new ones you need and like.

Its a masters piece and few are left.
The best 27ft blade ever.

Thank You

I have a set of 27' McCutchins and would like to cut them down to 24'
I have 3' hub bar and blades are 12' has anyone done this I was thinking I could cut them inbd side of blades ond redrill them and ck balance. Please let me know I have no use for 27' would consider trades also. I an in N.C.

Thanx, Don H.

Are you sure the blades are 27' long? If the blades are 12' and the hub bar is 3'
then the total length is not 27' rather 25. (different if the hub is 5')
(Sorry if I unerstood it wrong.)

Last edited:
Scantours is correct. I have a set of skywheels on my AC. My blades are each 11' long and the hub bar is 3'. Each blade slides into the hub 1' which gives me 23' blades not 25'.

Run it by Gary, Ed, or McCutchen

Run it by Gary, Ed, or McCutchen

I'd run the question by Jim McCutchen, Gary Goldsberry, or Ed Alderfer

I would either find someone to trade blades with or sell these and buy what you want. Your blades are one of the most important things to stay airbourne, why would you want to cut them?

Thanks Ron for the trust you have in me. Never shorten Skywheels at root end. If must do it, shorten tips. I did it many times over last 25 years. Take a piece of the bottom
skin and neatly make a end cap to fit. Use org. slow set JB Weld for a lasting bond for end piece. Drill and tap 3/16 fine thread into end of spar spar for screw and washers to bal light blade.

I know a guy who successfully cut down a set of 27's to 24's. He cut the tips off.
Personally I wouldn't do it.

You are better off to sell 'em, save up a bit more and then buy a set of Master Roda's blades, or one of the other established brands.

That way, when you are suspended hundreds or thousands of feet up in the sky, with the wind tearing at you and the engine roaring it's head off three inches behind your back, you know that at least that's one thing that isn't gonna go wrong...your blades are going to be good to go.

'I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy'

I have heard talk of McCutcheon 27' blades going for $3000 - $4000, is this correct? I can't wait to try my set out on the Air Command CLT Tandem.

I am not sure that in this day and age you should cut them down. They are a bit of a treasure. Back when they were still making them, yeah, why not? But these are something of a collector's item at this point, and I understand that the longer sets are even harder to come by than the short ones. They are certainly more valuable, and the price difference could go a LONG way to some new avionics, tires, brakes, etc on yer ship.

My opinion doesn't mean much, I just wanted to have something to say on RF this morning.

Last edited: