250 knot Helicopter

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+

In a press release, Sikorsky claims 250 knot Helicopter

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp.’s X2 Technology demonstrator reached its goal in mid-September, a speed of 250 knots true airspeed in level flight.

The speed is an unofficial speed record for a helicopter. The demonstrator also reached 260 knots in a shallow dive during the flight.

“The aerospace industry today has a new horizon,” said Sikorsky President Jeffrey P. Pino. “The X2 Technology demonstrator continues to prove its potential as a game-changer, and Sikorsky Aircraft is proud to be advancing this innovative technology and to continue our company’s pioneering legacy.”

The X2 Technology demonstrator is a counter-rotating coaxial rotor helicopter.

“Our primary key performance parameter has been met,” said Jim Kagdis, program manager for Sikorsky Advanced Programs. “The 250-knot milestone was established as the goal of the demonstrator from its inception. It’s exciting to imagine how our customers will use this capability.”

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
This thing cruises faster than a Beech King Air TurboProp twin.

brett s

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
none currently
Total Flight Time
1300 helicopter
It's also only a 2 seat aircraft with 1300+ hp (could be as much as 1800, they're pretty vague about that) & no payload capacity other than pilots & fuel - more power than a C90 King Air, about the same as a 200.

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
220 knots in 1968

220 knots in 1968

I qualified in the AH-1G Cobra in 1968 at 220 knots level flight. It was the "coolest" thing to fly out and back to the aerial gunnery ranges, just skimming the trees and really "smokin". That ship had stabilization and it felt like you were on rails. I miss those days.

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
I qualified in the AH-1G Cobra in 1968 at 220 knots level flight. It was the "coolest" thing to fly out and back to the aerial gunnery ranges, just skimming the trees and really "smokin". That ship had stabilization and it felt like you were on rails. I miss those days.

Chris

What a cool assignment.

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
That would be cool.
Tell me Chris ... I heard the Cobra was designed partly to be a "dive helicopter" . Do you know the max speed in an attack dive ???

I heard there was nothing more terrifying to the jungle warrior than when a Cobra was on its way down with a dose of lead poisoning.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(1) Air Command, (1) Barnett, (1) Air Command 2 place kit, (1) Sycamore gyro
Total Flight Time

Chris, You should have told me about your Cobra qualification.
We had a civilian Cobra in the back of our hangar for a few years. We coulda fired that fellow up!

My FAA inspector told me there is a civilian Harrier flying now.

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
3400+
Tom, nothing like the smell of burning JP4 in the morning, as long as they aren't burning the feces again.!!!

Arnie, the Vne was 220 knots in my days, and yes it was a dive on target aircraft. In those days the Cobra was said to be the world's first attack helicopter. If the dive was not in trim, the rockets would curve off target.

okikuma

Hi Chris,

The Snake is one of my favorite choppers. I'd give anything to fly one today, especially the early G model. I know I can buy a ride in one, but they wouldn't let me fly from the back seat!

If I was a billionaire, my dream machine would be a G model with all the armament and armor plating stripped off and just a FLIR and/or steady cam in place of the turret. Think of the power and speed of that now lighter machine! With a couple of drop tanks, it would make a wonderful cross country IFR capable VTOL aircraft. More fun than a Paris Jet and don't need an airport!

By the way, the conversation we had at Mentone about the XM3/M22 Maxwell System. I found a picture of COL Robert Maxwell when he was flying with the 1st CAV. He was my mentor concerning all that is to be known about the UH-1 and the finer points of flying. He passed away in 1998 and I had the honor of being one of his pallbearers at his funeral (dress blues and all). Bob flew the Snake too in Nam and did some flight testing of the Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne before the cancellation of the program.

That was a great aircraft. I was 8 years old at the time and my Dad would take me over to Van Nuys Airport, where the Cheyenne was built and we would watch the hover testing. The picture of the AH-56 hovering I'm sure was present when that picture was taken.

If I recall correctly, the AH-56 did reach the speed of 250 knots in level flight during it's testing way back in 1968, some 42 years ago!

Wayne

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/Csa/maxwell.htm

Last edited:

okikuma

Ooops, here's the pictures.

Wayne

Attachments

• rmax65.jpg
    rmax65.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Lockheed_AH-56_Cheyenne.jpg
    Lockheed_AH-56_Cheyenne.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2
  • cheyenne.jpg
    cheyenne.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1
  • lockheed-ah56-cheyenne_10.jpg
    lockheed-ah56-cheyenne_10.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
3400+
Saber 24 on our way back in from a mission over fire support base Quan Loi. You can see the three rows of wire around camp. It was breached more than once. okikuma the back seat had a 4 to 1 advantage over the front since the front only had "arm chair" short controls. You need to KNOW the guy in the back won't do something dumb.!!!

Attachments

• Saber 24 over Quan Loi.jpg
    Saber 24 over Quan Loi.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Chris- I can only imagine the experiences you have had. You are such a cool guy. The rest of my helicopter flying days will only be learning what you may have forgotten. I have a cousin that flew in Vietnam, James White.....he had over 1000 hours in a Huey over there. He was shot down and landed on an island and the enemy was coming out to get him when he got the Huey...smoking and all going again and got out of there.

He then went on to teach night vision flying in an Apache....then did the Desert Storm tour. After his military career....he flew oil rigs. He is now retired and flies a Medvac helicopter in Texas.

I feel like a pimple on a helicopter pilots butt when I am around you guys with that awesome experience. I can only thank you for your service as I go play helicopter pilot!

Stan

okikuma

Stan,

I totally agree with you. I'm so honored to talk, know, and sometimes become friends with our combat veterans like Chris. Because of their sacrifices, I live, breath and enjoy the rights and privileges within our nation as an American. I can never thank all of them enough.

Finally meeting with Chris is an honor and privilege for me. He's Army Aviation all the way. I mean that expression very positively. In 30 seconds, I knew that Chris is honest, respectable, and a dignified gentleman. His vast Army Aviation experience adds immensely to his competency as a Gyroplane CFI. Yes Stan, he's one cool dude!

Chris, I remember being told the front controls in the Snake are a little more difficult to control the Cobra than from the back. A wonderful formation photo. The early rounded canopy is much sexier than the later boxy Messerschmit style. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

joe nelson

Aircraft
I have owned an AA-7B, Quad City Challenger, WAR P-47 and have flown several other type
Total Flight Time
12000hrs approx
Wayne,

I had the privledge of having lunch with Ray Proudy who was the lead engineer on the Cheyenne last Saturday. He tells an amusing story about the direction that the tail rotor turned and the problems that it caused. His main concern was the tail rotor throwing rocks into the ordinance on the wing pylons but the direction caused directional instability in forward flight. He is certainly very sharp at 80 plus years old!

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
3400+
How about this one? It's real. I saw it being assembled over two years ago. Note the wing through the cabin and no conventional tail rotor. I was last briefed on the "stealth" Comanche (Sept 2002). I think it became cost prohibitive. Darn thing would fly sideways faster than any gyro I've ever flown. Don't know the performance on this slightly "modified" UH-60.

Attachments

• PressPicFirstFlight.jpg
    PressPicFirstFlight.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1

Lspav8r

Senior Member only in age
Aircraft
Nothing at this time, but I think the daughter and I are gonna get us a 2 place helicopter.
Total Flight Time
600+
Top Speed attained

Top Speed attained

Im gonna have to ask my kid how fast (TAS) she has had her 64 up to so far. I imagine they get to do a lot of high speed stuff over in Afghanistan and Irag.