23 Ft. Dragon Wings

carlschneider

Aircraft
Carlanater
Total Flight Time
2000+
If Ernie brings my new double tip-weighted "Cruising" blades to Mentone, I would like to sell my 23 ft. Dragon Wings at Mentone so I don't have to bring them back home.

They have less than 200 hr. on them and fly very smooth. I'm asking $1350 or best offer.

Carl

Carl, I spoke with Ernie the other day about ordering a set of those. I would be most grateful for your opinion once you have flown them. Please P/M me. I will hold off until after Mentone as I understand he wants to bring some there & have different people 'test' them. Thanks......

If Ernie brings my new double tip-weighted "Cruising" blades to Mentone,

Cruising blades? What is the difference in the regular dragon wings and these?
Double tip weight meaning twice the weight in the tips?

Everyone likes the regular DWs why a new heavier style? This is the 1st I have heard of these.

Sounds as though they will hold their RPM's a bit better, might be pattable and not that much heavier.

Different weight distribution and could make for a better rotor. Trialing it is a great idea.

Cruising blades? What is the difference in the regular dragon wings and these?
Double tip weight meaning twice the weight in the tips?

Everyone likes the regular DWs why a new heavier style? This is the 1st I have heard of these.

Grant, all design is compromise. You trade off some of this for more of that according to what you’re trying to accomplish. Different folks have different requirements.
Carl is known for flying fast. Heavier blade tips will give him better high speed, rough air, straight line stability. The trade off is some “yank and bank agility.
Back when I used to fly the Hughes blades, I had two sets, one with the tip weights removed for playing around the local pea patch, the other with the tip weights intact (5 pounds of brass in each tip) for cross country and rough air. They were much more comfortable, but were a bit “hard mouthed” as birdy would say.

...all design is compromise... Now there's the nub of it Pete.

Last edited:
Increasing rotor inertia increases response time and provides a better ride in turbulence.

Some like them; some don’t. High inertia rotors are not for practitioners of yank and bank.

You beat me to it, Pete.

Sold

Sold

SOLD, I Started Driving at 5:05 AM today, Got to Carls Place, had a nice 40Min discussion, and they was on my way home. Got home at 9PM! It was a nice day for a long drive :)

Hope to have the rotars attached to my Hornet by the end of the Week!!

Thanks again Carl

We have Ernie's regular 23's for our gyro. And since I hope one day to graduate to a little yanking and banking they sound as though they would be the ones we want.

Did a stint as an aerobatic instructor when I was building fixed wing hours... had a great time.

Sorry for asking

Sorry for asking

Hi,
I have a set of rotors from rotorhawk these came with the gyro when i collected it from Ireland the hub bar is also rotorhawk!
NOW ...Is there a time limit set on these blades and hub bar! ...Hours! this gyro was built in 1993 so i asume this is the age of the Blades and hub bar!
any help would be Apreciated!

G.

LAA. PRA. BRA.

Attachments

• rotor hawk hub barand blades.JPG
    rotor hawk hub barand blades.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • blades 2.JPG
    blades 2.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi,

I Have exactly same blades in my gyro and if somebody knows is there some life limit to these blades, it would be nice to hear.

sami

Gyro blades if built and taken care of properly a virtually an unlimited life. They are not driven therefore, unlike a helicopter there is no runout.