2015 Mentone PRA convention PILOT AND MACHINE honors

Congrats Chris!

And thank goodness the organization has matured past the days of CFI's threatening to pack up and leave the event and threatening the board because a non CFI was giving rides to people.

Chris, awesome!! Congratulations, and hope to see you all at Anahuac for the fly in!!

"Giving rides"

"Giving rides"

Congrats Chris!

And thank goodness the organization has matured past the days of CFI's threatening to pack up and leave the event and threatening the board because a non CFI was giving rides to people.

MY thoughts on taking passengers .... as my confidence progressed in my PIC abilities flying our new machine throughout the week ... I was happy to take up fellow gyro pilots for a demo flight .... these guys would not have paid a CFI for a "ride" anyway! There were some who wanted to try it ...flying from front seat .... for those we arranged a CFI ( we had 3 there @ Mentone who are familiar now with the Titanium Explorer - Michael Burton , Greg Spicola & Craig - all who'd been giving Jim lessons!) ... to take them out for a "new model checkride"! .... the CFI got their instructing fee ... we shared in the usual fuel $ component!

My policy is aligned with that of my good buddy Kent Goddard who flew so many last year on his travels around the major events .... only take up the overflow who cannot get a flight with a CFI!

With a new version/model of "Eurogyro" ... there was a lot of interest to compare it with the others ... so naturally some who'd flown with a CFI in the other new-gen gyros wanted to see how it felt & handled! If they were a gyro pilot ... I'd take them rear seat & let them have the controls at altitude!

Mid week several non pilots requested " demo rides" ... until Sat /Sunday I was not comfortable to take them myself & found an alternate trusted pilot or CFI to take them up. If they were looking for a ride in ANY machine ...I directed them to the CFI's!

It seemed to me to be a wonderful convention ... all a happy band of gyro bruthas (& sistahs) ... having a great time! :party: I heard many positive comments about how all the different gyro reps / CFI's were getting along together so well & playing nice - sharing the customer base!

Some were disappointed in the low number of spectators on Saturday ... I felt we had a steady stream all week and most were walking around the flightline - engaged in research & active ... not just sitting & watching!

And sincere thanks to all who posted in this thread with their congrats! Much appreciated!

Chris,

Congratulations on your tremendous award Saturday night!

It was really amazing how the whole group at the dinner was so gratified to see you be the winner.

Didn't get a chance to speak with you personally, but did not want to interfere with anyone missing a chance to fly with you, or to get a closeup look at your beautiful machine. Did talk with Jim briefly in the hangar Friday afternoon, and told him how good your gyro looked.

You've had a terrible experience trying to get your first machine flying reliably, and staying current with your piloting experience as a result; seeing the smiles on your face, your good piloting skills, and confidence in flying with others in the back seat, was a joy to behold.

I also agree that this convention was the most relaxed atmosphere we've seen in a number of years. The current batch of instructors all seem to respect each other, and actually enjoy being together.

It's also great to see yet another choice of machines for gyro pilots. And you definitely are the best ambassador for the Titanium they could have chosen.

I miss the "like" button!

I miss the "like" button!

.... that some forums have! :rolleyes:
It's a nice way to acknowledge/ appreciate a neat post ... without being wordy!
Thank you for your kind words ... I was just thinking at lunch today that I didn't get to see you around this year! Glad you caught up with Jim!

cheers & thanks!

Chris,

Congratulations on your tremendous award Saturday night!

It was really amazing how the whole group at the dinner was so gratified to see you be the winner.

Didn't get a chance to speak with you personally, but did not want to interfere with anyone missing a chance to fly with you, or to get a closeup look at your beautiful machine. Did talk with Jim briefly in the hangar Friday afternoon, and told him how good your gyro looked.

You've had a terrible experience trying to get your first machine flying reliably, and staying current with your piloting experience as a result; seeing the smiles on your face, your good piloting skills, and confidence in flying with others in the back seat, was a joy to behold.

I also agree that this convention was the most relaxed atmosphere we've seen in a number of years. The current batch of instructors all seem to respect each other, and actually enjoy being together.

It's also great to see yet another choice of machines for gyro pilots. And you definitely are the best ambassador for the Titanium they could have chosen.

I feel this was very well deserved. It really has been a long time in coming. I wish I could have made it this year. I am sure you will be flyin that new machine all over Kansas.

Chris, I think the instructors should be there to INSTRUCT.... not to sell 15 minute rides at 50 or 80$ or whatever they charge now a days.

There are so many people in need of Bi annual reviews, or transition training, or just plain primary training, who come to these events to have access to a CFI who can potentially spend several hours per day training them.... There should be no Free time for any good CFI to be sitting around waiting for people to go up for demo rides.

Every year I was at the fly-ins, I would hear mummblings from several CFI's " students" who took time off work and made arrangements to come to the event to get lessons and were then put on the backburner cause it was too busy or too windy or just didn't feel right etc.... So they end up lucky to get 2 hours of training in over the course of a several day event, yet the CFI is totally fine with taking up everyones girlfriends, mothers, uncles, grandpas, and anyone else who shows up and wants a ride.

I think as long as your licensed and the general consensus is your a safe pilot in a safe machine, if your willing to give rides then give them and no one should complain one bit. If there is 3 or 4 of you doing that, the CFI's can focus on giving lessons not rides and help get that many more people licensed and in the air with us for the next event....

Didn't get to attend Mentone this year because of family obligations, but in the two years I have attended was more than happy to pay $50.00 for a chance to ride in gyros I am interested in. Each flight, some in front seat some in back, was an opportunity for me to evaluate each machine (and the instructor). I was given the controls of each machine- even allowed to land one. Was also happy to pay for my grandson to fly- cheap compared to a day at Disneyworld- hopefully the first step toward a new gyro pilot.
Given the intense one-on-one instruction I received- and required- from Greg Gremminger when I got my Sport Pilot Endorsement, I would say getting proper, useful instruction at a fly-in would be not nearly as efficient as doing it at a different time.
Lastly, there is a liability issue concerning even just "giving rides". Each pilot needs to decide if this is something they want to take on.
OK, really lastly, congratulations Chris. Looking forward to paying you for a ride some day.

Given the intense one-on-one instruction I received- and required- from Greg Gremminger when I got my Sport Pilot Endorsement, I would say getting proper, useful instruction at a fly-in would be not nearly as efficient as doing it at a different time

I agree with this statement. Pattern work at Mentone later in the week would have not been conducive to instruction - IMHO. I was fortunate to get there early in the week and get an hour that I felt was worth every penny. I have flown with a lot of instructors over the years in fixed wing (private pilot and then EMT training) and Steve's approach was near the top in regards to technique and therefore value. It was already getting thick by Tuesday afternoon and I doubt it would have been money well spent by Wednesday. I could not get a ride in a Eurotub regardless of how hard I tried (with a checkbook in my pocket). I gave up after the third attempt and reasoned that I was not given an introductory ride because I was not a prospective buyer. I can tell you that unless I win the lottery I will never be able to afford a 60K - 90K gyro and I understand that these companies do not want to waste intro rides on guys like me.

I also understand the PRA's approach to CFI's at Mentone - they are important if not solely for the reason that gyro training is unavailable in many places. I can drive 20 minutes from my home and get fixed wing and even helicopter training everyday. However, the closest gryo training to me is in adjacent state. If you are a working class, blue collar guy like me then you have to plan and save for a trip out of state to spend 3K plus on a gyro endorsement.

Training @ Mentone!

Training @ Mentone!

I agree with this statement. Pattern work at Mentone later in the week would have not been conducive to instruction - IMHO. I was fortunate to get there early in the week and get an hour that I felt was worth every penny. I have flown with a lot of instructors over the years in fixed wing (private pilot and then EMT training) and Steve's approach was near the top in regards to technique and therefore value. It was already getting thick by Tuesday afternoon and I doubt it would have been money well spent by Wednesday. I could not get a ride in a Eurotub regardless of how hard I tried (with a checkbook in my pocket). I gave up after the third attempt and reasoned that I was not given an introductory ride because I was not a prospective buyer. I can tell you that unless I win the lottery I will never be able to afford a 60K - 90K gyro and I understand that these companies do not want to waste intro rides on guys like me.

Training @ the Mentone event ... CAN be done most comfortably(away from the busy pattern) for student pilots ... mostly by heading over to the much nicer smooth runway @ Rochester ...with friendlier ( generally!) winds ..better aligned with the runway when they are a direct cross @ Mentone!

Jim went out with an instructor each morning to Rochester ... did a variety of flight skill maneuvers - en route - then T&G /landings/ pattern work @ Rochester! This worked well for me in years past also!

Early in the week I & my co-pilots ... enjoyed the quick flight over to KCRC & had fun practicing our landings away from the convention audience!

So :sorry: John that you missed out on a freebie "demo" flight in a new-gen gyro .... I would have happily taken you out in "Festey" ... but until Sat / Sunday ...I was not "there" in my confidence or mindset to offer rides to non gyro/ non pilots! Daily practice for a week ... sure works wonders!

Hope you make it to another event soon where we can fly you in the Titanium!

October 3 ...our EAAChap88 fly in @ KEWK
October 12 -18 ...we plan to be @ Anahuac for our Chap 62 fly-in.
???? Winter in FL - Sebring in January?????

John,
I would highly recommend Greg Gremminger who instructs in a Magni,down at St. Genevieve, MO. I spent an intense 3 days with him and earned my Light Sport Gyroplane endorsement- already have my Private. The hardest part for me was relearning the proper radio language after 20 years of flying locally off of a grass strip. The gyro flying was the most fun I've had in years. Even if a "Eurotub" isn't in your future, when Greg gets through with you, you'll be a gyro pilot.

Got to this thread late after taking a vacation but I hope my congratulations still reach you in time.

Greetings and congrats, -- Chris.

Congratulations, Chris! Fran and I weren't able to attend Mentone this year, but wanted to let you know how pleased we are to learn of your award. After all your hard work, it was well deserved!

Thank you Chris & Stan,Fran ....
I sure missed catching up with you Stan&Fran ...saw your campsite registration on the office door ....was??????? :noidea: why a no-show! Hope all is well with you ... it was a lively & fun convention - very friendly!

OK this Rocked!!! Everyone knew what she went through from total newbie to full fledged builder and pilot. Most improved in a very short time what a woman, pilot and friend!!!

It was a landslide vote too without anyone mentioning it before the dinner! We were all on the same page on this one!

Chris, I not only want to congratulate you on your award but also on going about becoming the pilot you have become by doing it the right away. You walked thru fire to get to this point and the stick-to-itiveness you have demonstrated is an inspiration to us all!

I'm more than a little late with this but don't visit RWF as often as I once did. See you at Anahuac!

Thanks....

Thanks....

John, Tim & Dean .... see at least two of you @ Anahuac! :party:

Yesterday I had a magnificent 1.5 hours flying ... getting reacquainted with OZ'rora .... it was perfect coolish Kansas summer morn with nice light S wind.:D

I checked out all my favorite friends places who like to see me wind-hover & turn around their places .... played around .....getting a little lower & a little more into steep turns ....around the hayfields ... I just LOVE the new feel of JAKES design :hail: :first: Rotorhead / crossbar rebuild ... this was my first away from airport pattern flight with it and ..the improvement in "rotor feel" was all I'd hoped for! ( Glenn & John F. ... you did well getting the upgrade to yours too!!! :yo:)

New rotor (second generation design)for Festey arrived this week ... but DHL managed to smash the end ( suspect a forklift tire ran over the end!) .... hardly leaving any more evidence than scuffed tape & slightly bruised heavy cardboard (3 layers!)... all appeared normal shipping wear & tear ... until the packing was opened! :(:rant::Cry::tape::censored: ...Neil's ropeable ... 2of 3 rotor shipments damaged ... to date! Repacked it all today ...for DHL to pick-up & return!

I'm off to OZ for a couple of weeks now to celebrate my Mum's 90th B'day & see family.

Last edited:
Hi Chris!!

Give your mom a big kiss and hug for all of us and tell her we think YOU are her GREATEST creation! Good job, mom!