2014 Anahuac Fly-In

Another GREAT Day ....

Another GREAT Day ....

again ... perfect weather ... temps & winds! Chapter 62 hanger was REALLY hopping today ... Steve McG steadily busy with training. Stacy busy putting his new skills to practice working in the pattern in his Gyrobee. .. wife Barbara doing lots of filming & photography! Several others continuing with the early stages of training!
Tony & a bunch of others went flying after lunch ... great burger BBQ from master chef Keith!

I got in about 2 hours flying time total ... 1/2 hr.in the AM & mid afternoon went up & just enjoyed circling the area taking in the incredible view & just wallowing in the magic of flight ... I had Tony in his dual Aircommand shadowing me & Steve & student was chasing us both for a bit!

For the hour prior to sunset (& marvelous steak dinner served up by master Chef- Keith & helpers Linda & Norma :usa2: :) ) ..... Myself , Kent with Danny along & Paul Erb ... who'd just arrived in the Magni ... did the spectacular run south to the Bolivar peninsular ..... a private airstrip on the narrow spit of land ... a popular fly-in spot .. the Tikibar ... a runway is shown @ the seafood warehouse ... though the other is not & Danny was able to direct the two faster Eurogyros to the Tikibar location ... my Ifly course took me to the seafood place ... I saw the runway ... complete with a plane parked ... figured I was at the destination ... turned & headed back without landing ... as the headwind trip out ...over all the swampland & around the bay seemed to have used up a LOT of fuel ... I was worried about the return trip ... even though I had 3 hours + reserve on board at start ....& turn around was @ 45 mins ... those side tanks seemed WAAY too low @ turnaround ..... with the tail wind ... the engine just sipped fuel & the return took just 25 mins ... landed with 1/2 hr of fuel & 4.5 gal in the seat! :eek:hwell:

I bounced between the anxiety of flying over a lot of rather hostile gator-country terrain ..... trying to stay in glide dist. of scarce tracks & levees & taking in the fabulous views of ships lined up in the gulf awaiting port entry ... the sparkle of wetlands .... barge traffic on the intercoastal waterway ... & lots of other sweet views ... only pictures could show ... ALAS the blasted Go pro decided to go tropo ( on strike) .. & no vids - no stills ... I think the battery is fried ... went hot & non-responsive the last time out too! ... Down to my last hopefully good battery ... try again tomorrow! :noidea:!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1
I tried to get there tonight but was running late getting the RV out of the shop. I'm loaded up and will be there in the morning. Since I'm late...I bought another length of 30 amp extension cord, figuring the good parking spots are taken ;-)

I got a call from Sonny Ladeaux from the PPC club, and he said they were considering coming.

Thank you

Thank you

Big thank you for the friendly hospitality and gyro education I got Friday morning at Anahuac!
I had barely gotten out of my truck when Mark approached and welcomed me. Great start! He introduced me to Steve who gave me some good gyro/philosopy info. Unfortunately, time didn't allow for a training flight (next time, Steve!).
Steve introduced me to Danny, Tony, Stacey, Don (heck I think that I chatted with most everyone there) who all provided more gyro info and answered my questions. What a friendly bunch!!
I learned a lot (not the least of which is that Keith makes a great hamburger!).
Looking forward to my next opportunity to learn and interact with this group.
Again, thanks for a great morning and camaraderie!
Brian

Thanks to all the hard work of the organizers and the large group of attendees...it was a great success. Lots of gyros, 2 helicopters, one airplane, one PPC, no trikes.

The flying conditions were perfect, food was great, and to friendship memorable.

Sounds like too much fun to me... Sorry I missed it but thanks for sharing!

Next year!!!

I am having a great time training with Steve here In Anahuac.I wish that the guys from chapter 20 could have made it .

Bolivar peninsula

Bolivar peninsula

again ... perfect weather ... temps & winds!
What a ride! My first beach run and hope to actually eat at the Tiki Bar next year. Just unsure about the runway conditions.

Attachments

• boulivar.jpg
    boulivar.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It was a shame one of us locals weren't with you to land and eat there. My neighbor flies his gyro over there very often to get his weekly fix of crab nachos...me...I go for the burger and onion rings.

Gas station is across the street...but no Jet-A. I used to bring a collapsible jug when I flew my gyro over.

It's a good campout spot too. We like to dance there with the live band and stay the night.

What a ride! My first beach run and hope to actually eat at the Tiki Bar next year. Just unsure about the runway conditions.

Event Aerial

Event Aerial

The hanger complex and tools available (basically a machine shop) to the chapter members is simply amazing! Complemented with full grilling and food prep along with Keith's culinary prowness ... what club would want more?

Attachments

• P1040399.jpg
    P1040399.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Gyros on the Tarmac...

Gyros on the Tarmac...

One of the Saturday events was a short afternoon visit to Liberty Municipal due north of Anahuac. A rare event to fly with that many gyros!

Attachments

• P1040404.jpg
    P1040404.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1
Gyro cross countries

Gyro cross countries

As I always say, it's not about the destination, but the journey... But in this case is was both! Fly-ins are a great excuse (if you need one)! Since graduating from a single seat to a tandem, going further is the name of the game as I don't like trailering!

Nothing like an aviation diner to break up the trip! Central Texas has two popular $100 (probably now more like $250) burger places. Brenham to the east and Fredricksburg to the west.

11R was on the way this time! Very popular place with all types including Citations!

One notable feature along the way is Lake Conroe. I'm up high for the water crossing!

Next trip will be with transponder. I didn't get it installed this time, hence the non-mode C "scenic" route!

Attachments

• MagniMe.jpg
    MagniMe.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Brenham.jpg
    Brenham.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Conroe.jpg
    Conroe.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1
  • crosscountry.jpg
    crosscountry.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
18 Birds in a row. Had about 9 more still in the hangars and 1 that left before the picture.

Attachments

• 20141018_155559_2.jpg
    20141018_155559_2.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Preparing for the photo op

Preparing for the photo op

Here's a behind-the-scenes shot of preparing for the gyroplane "photo op" at the Anahuac fly-in.

The Lone Star Rotorcraft Club did a excellent job producing this entire event, right down to the perfect weather.

More photos coming.

Ira

Attachments

• DSCN0472.jpg
    DSCN0472.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
More photos from the Anahuac fly-in: Part 1

More photos from the Anahuac fly-in: Part 1

Stan Maness and his Gyrobee ultralight

Tony Thomas and his two-place Air Command

CFI Steve McGowan (right) and "Boo" Bouchard with Steve's two-place trainer, "The Black"

Anthony Spagnoletti's two-place Air Command. That's Anthony's twin brother at the controls. Nice guy, but he didn't talk much.

Ira

Attachments

• DSCN0273.jpg
    DSCN0273.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0279.jpg
    DSCN0279.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0315.jpg
    DSCN0315.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0467.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1
It was a great trip...Soohyun and I had lunch in Brenham, then on to Anahuac through the uncontrolled corridor between Hobby and GWB.

Wish we could have stayed longer! Maybe next year we can stay overnight Saturday night...felt wayyyy too soon to leave when we did.

Made it back to Austin in 2 hours flat! Arrived 15 minutes after sundown.

Still didn't get my fix....flew to Fredericksburg the next morning with Soohyun for breakfast.

She really enjoyed meeting you guys!

-John

And two helicopters parked nearby to avoid downwash issues. John Burliegh flew his 172 "Redbird" and Ralph Moe flew his Avid Flyer over too. Also, there was one nice PCC that left before the photo shot.

18 Birds in a row. Had about 9 more still in the hangars and 1 that left before the picture.

More photos from the Anahuac fly-in: Part 2

A few of the gyroplanes on display early Saturday afternoon.

Mike Grosshans checks the inventory of gyroplanes under the tent before they're rolled out.

A look at Chauncy Surry's custom gyroplane. The instrument pod is a mailbox that's been cut in half.

Chauncy Surry shows off his autographed copy of "Light-Sport Gyroplanes" to a couple of friends who are obviously envious.

Ira

Attachments

• DSCN0432.jpg
    DSCN0432.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0378.jpg
    DSCN0378.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0446.jpg
    DSCN0446.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0282.jpg