2014 Anahuac Fly-In

Steve McGowan is the second to arrive (does this make him #2?).

During the week should should start getting more of our visitors, this year should be a great fly in, I'm really looking forward to it.
Yes tell Steve I said he is #2!!!

Good observation Mike!!!

:whoo: .......The party:party::party::party: IS ON!!!!! :peace:

record time down .... good traffic flow minimal stops (& found a new faster route thru Dallas!!) ... we made the 700 miles in 11.75hrs ( best prior was 12!) .... had just minutes of light left when we arrived ... with awesome teamwork we got OZ'rora unloaded & the trailer set up for camping! ..... the Chap 62 hanger is FULL! :lol:

Gorgeous weather ... the best ever fly-in coming up .... SteveW. is smiling down on us!:D :angel:

Steve McG ...showed up after finding the local Walmart & Bonzer is enjoying a doggie playmate in Elsie .... Kent's AWOL (Barhopp'n???;)!
OK now I know you guys are in for trouble!!!!:first:

We will make hangar room for anyone wanting to attend.

If we run out of room, I will personally move all three of my gyros out to make room for visitors. without you, we would not have anything.

Mike, how many guys are camping at the airport? I'm thinking about bringing the RV over (currently in the shop for generator work). Either that, or I just fly over.

Right now we have Kent, Steve, and Chris and Jim. Mark will also have his RV and Danny will probably be there with his camper.

Getting the fly-in started.

Attachments

• IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
Will be there with my wife in the MTO on Saturday (if I can keep her warm in the freezing 86 degree weather we're scheduled to have.)

REALLY looking forward to it!!! It's been a trying week here at my office, will be a nice bit of R&R.

I will not be flying but hope to drop in for a bit Saturday for lunch.

As mentioned, my RV is still in the shop due to a failed generator. My wife said she won’t come without power. I’d prefer to camp out instead of just flying over for a few hours. Mind if I plug into the hanger outlet?

Early-bird days

Early-bird days

...have been a blast ..... some nice flying .... perfect weather & nice winds ... mostly calm - on the ground level!

Danny & Linda supplied a lovely lunch yesterday! :first:

A Gaggle of 4 flew to Winnie mid-afternoon. Kent - Danny - Stacy & Chris ..... 4 very diverse gyros ... from UL to MTO ..... Stacy needed to refuel to be certain of a good reserve with the headwind on the return!
Pretty country & great visibility ..... see all the way to downtown Houston!

Hoping to fly down to the coast & seafood shack today!

Wed eve ... after my first flight in OZ'rora @ a fly-in :D..... Steve offered to take me around in THE BLACK! :eek:..... never thought I'd say yes ... but curiosity & desire to experience the "old-style" pitch unstable gyro type .. won the toss & off we went ..... great new experience .... low-rider - no front-pod - out in the wind .... nursing the rotor up to speed .... learning how to manage pitch diversions with no horiz---stab! Great instructor for these old-style machines! :hail: Was not nearly as heavy & shaky as some had described it!

Boo ( Don Bouchard) arrived with his machine yesterday & the club members had an interesting time erecting a new large canopy ... good ole cheap Chinese engineering .... good thing Steve McG ... had plenty of experience with them & some good shortcuts/advice!

Looks like we are ready for some fun & activity the next 2 -3 days!

No excuses ... git o'er here ... anyone in reasonable distance! :lol:

:party: ....IS ON!!!!

As mentioned, my RV is still in the shop due to a failed generator. My wife said she won’t come without power. I’d prefer to camp out instead of just flying over for a few hours. Mind if I plug into the hanger outlet?

That's what most of our campers do.

Sounds like fun.
I'm gonna have to get my lazy butt over there sometime and enjoy your flyins.

Chris,
How is that front end handling that runway?
If I remember correct, that place was the ultimate test for the shimmy damper.

I've been meaning to get some close up photos of the surface to show you guys what to watch out for.

As mentioned, I've had airplane buddies who had a shimmy for the first time there.

Chris,

I can bring an LCD projector to show an outside movie if you want. I can also bring my rope & scale for a static thrust test if anybody wants to try it.

We have everything for a thrust test, we do it quite frequently when we build gyros.

The projector would be great, we have a lot of gyro videos we can play.

Absolutely "Bloody fantastic" mate!

Absolutely "Bloody fantastic" mate!

Chris,

Today I did a long slow work-up of rotors (calm wind!)over the nastiest lumpiest bit of paved 12 runway ... had my nosewheel on the ground WAAAY longer than I am normally comfortable ..... solid ALL the way!!! :whoo: ...also on the lumpy-anthill ridden turf runway 17 ... with today's prevailing wind from the S .... doing my usual 1/2 metro-launch ... rapid- soft field style TO's ..... performed admirably ... no hint of shimmy ... have it cranked to the max ... as steering is a little tougher than optimal! ... I'll back it off a tad when I get home to the smooth stuff! :hail: .... just an awesome piece of work! :peace:

THANK-YOU , THANK-YOU JAKE!!! :plane: :)

Last edited:
Today I did a long slow work-up of rotors (calm wind!)over the nastiest lumpiest bit of paved 12:plane: runway ... had my nosewheel on the ground WAAAY longer than I am normally comfortable ..... solid ALL the way!!! :whoo: ...also on the lumpy-anthill ridden turf runway 17 ... with today's prevailing wind from the S .... doing my usual 1/2 metro-launch ... rapid- soft field style TO's ..... performed admirably ... no hint of shimmy ... have it cranked to the max ... as steering is a little tougher than optimal! ... I'll back it off a tad when I get home to the smooth stuff! :hail: .... just an awesome piece of work! :peace:

THANK-YOU , THANK-YOU JAKE!!! :plane: :)

Thank you for the update Chris. Now go have some fun.
Glad the shimmy damper is working well.