2 seater Bensen gyrocopter question

royden

helikopter befok
Aircraft
Fly Citation Excel for work, Fly everything else for pleasure
Total Flight Time
Hi to every one.
I was looking on the net for Bensen related information about the B8 gyroglider/gyrocopter and it got me thinking. The B8 gyroglider could be built and flown as a single or 2 seater, side by side gyrocopter. The single was fitted with the McCollach engine and became the 8M gyrocopter. Does anyone know if anybody built and flew a 2 seater B8 gyroglider and managed to mount an engine to it? Could it be done?

Merion Springer, Check with her. She flew a side by side trainer, very likely a Bensen, mabe a clone.

I believe one was built here in the uk many years ago and gave dozens their first gyro experience. Totally illegal but I've heard it was all good fun!

Bensen built a B 16 two seat gyro that was two B 8 gyrocopters bolted side by side with one larger rotor, it used two of everything that was found on a bensen gyro but could not fly on one engine.

Norm

2 B8s side by side with 2 engines ?.... there is enough there to keep an aero-dynamist convention going for weeks discussing the effects of a single engine out event.

No reason a B8 could not be built into a side by side. Would need longer redundant keel 18" longer behind mast for rudder authority, 18" longer in front of mast for nose wheel further forward for ground stability. At least 18" higher {six foot} redundant mast built out of 3- 1" X 2". at least 100 HP with 2 to 1 redrive, 68" prop, 28' Rotor for 900 Lbs gross weight. Good brakes, good prerotator, CG on the money,

Basically the Air Command is the same geometry as the B8. It is the most stable two place anyone could ever want. Mine shown here trained over 300 new pilots, and thousands of rides over the years. Marions trainer was a open Air Command side by side. Same too with Farrington and John Potter who trained hundreds on their open AC side by side.

Would not suggest that a novice build this. Only a seasoned builder that has built at least a couple good looking machines. You are fooling with two lives in a two place and kids and wives left behind. I can name a dozen+ killed in them...

Attachments

• SIDE BY SIDE, BEST AC SIDEBYSIDE IN THE WORLD.jpg
    SIDE BY SIDE, BEST AC SIDEBYSIDE IN THE WORLD.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Our gyro club (PRA Chapter 18) converted our Bensen gyroglider to Rotax 532 power. It flew well enough for a side by side, but was lacking in power (no enclosure, high drag) A low time (gyro) pilot snuck out during the week and took a buddy for a one-way flight into a corn field. Hi density altitude, precautionary landing, muddy corn field. Gyro tipped over on landing, no injuries. The low time pilot skipped out and left the club hanging financially. He posts here on occasion, I hope he reads this in Colorado and sends us a check.

We also did a lot of training and rides with several Air Command 532 SxS gyros during our stint as a AC dealer. Big people on a hot day was a learning experience.

Our two powered gyro trainers, a Bensen and an Air Command

Our two powered gyro trainers, a Bensen and an Air Command

Docko built our Bensen side by side powered gyro trainer shortly before the Air Command came on the market.

He started with a Bensen gyroglider, extended the keel out front 12 inches for better ground stability. It had good rudder authority so he didn't extend the keel back of the mast.

He had a 4 ft. hub bar made and we used the standard Bensen blades.
For power we used a 90 hp. Mac with Bill Parson's super Mac reed valve system and a set of expansion chambers. The gyro had the power to handle every one came for flight training.

The gyro flew very well and I put many training hours on it. When the Air Command came out we bought a side by side Air Command trainer and I also used that for many training hours. That was in tracy, Ca. with field elevation 190 ft. above sea level.

Three years later we move to El Mirage and I continued training but this time on the dry lake which is just a few feet shy of 3000 ft. ASL. I continued to use both gyro trainers on the dry lake. I loved those those great McCutchen Sky Wheels but the in the early morning when it was cool they would be smooth as silk but later in the day when the summer temp got high the blades would almost bounce us out of the seat. Next morning they would be smooth again intil the day heated up. I figured it was the heat acting on the fiberglass composition of the blades. I loved flying both trainers.
Marion

Happy New Year Marion,

For two place Bensen and the two place Air Command trainers, what was the maximum combined student/instructor weight?

Wayne