1971 Scorpion Too 133 Builder #1729

kfegley

I have acquired a 1971 Scorpion Too w/a 133 engine from my late cousin Nelson who was an Engineer by trade. He passed away in July of this year. According to the Hobbs gauge it only has 3/10 hours of flight time and was never given a FAA cert because he was using fiberglass blades at the time (this is what I was told by his sister and brother. Now his brother told me the gauge was not hooked up until he actually started to fly it so he said including all testing and ground run ups it has about 80 hours on the engine. Information on the internet about this type of helicopter is spotty at best and I plan on doing what ever it takes to fly it again. He had taken the head off and tail off in anticipation of donating it to a missionary group in africa but they never took possession of it and now I own it. Here are some pictures. I look forward to making some new friends as I take this journey to getting this flying again

Attachments

Last edited:

Boots

If it was me I would talk to Homer Bell . http://www.kitcopterconsult.com
Your ship looks well kept . You may find that there was many upgrades after that kit was sold and built. I actually like the look of the older ships over the new ones .
Welcome to the forum

FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Looks very clean. Thanks for rebuilding it.
don't forget the [ it's alive][ after the rebuild first start.]

animal

Platinum Member
OK, it looks like a nice machine, now for the reality of Scorpions.

#1 unless you are very light weight, the RW-133 engine is very under powered.

If you really want to make this machine fly, look for one of the Bigger engines RW-152 or RW-162.
you can sometimes pick up one of the RW-162 carb. engines fairly cheap, but keep in mind at 500 h.r. the heads have to be redone. I learned this the hard way.

#2, you have the old style head.now, not saying it is not flyable with this style head, but it has a big control lag and takes getting use to. so you would be advised to find one of the new style rotor shafts and heads for it.

#3, if you can afford it, upgrade to one of the Cog belt drives that does away with the heavy chain and oil bath.

# 4, upgrade the secondary shaft, they had issues with the early shafts.

#5, join the rotorway owners group, lots of good info and parts to be found on there.

with Upgrades, Scorpions can be made to be great flying machines.
and I still like the looks of them over the exec. also they have more room in them over the Exec.

The really bad news is, parts for the 133 are almost impossible to find. mag is driven by a timing belt, that if it breaks you are screwed.
the pistons if I remember right where chevy 305 pistons with the skirts milled off.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Attachments

kfegley

Thanks everyone for the kind words, So far the one thing everyone talks about is the engine and how it is under powered. Now I only weigh 153 lbs so it may not be bad with me in it. Animal thank you for listing all the upgrades that should be done but I am not sure what you are referring to when you talk about going to a Cog belt drive. What part of helicopter would that be because I do not see a sealed chain cover anywhere on the machine

animal

Platinum Member
Cog belt drive. What part of helicopter would that be because I do not see a sealed chain cover anywhere on the machine
Ok look at the photo of my engine, you will see the multi belt drive going to a vertical shaft at the back of the frame, then above that is a housing, inside that housing is a multi row drive chain. this is how they reduced the Rotor speed down from the engine speed.

instead of having a gear box transmission for rotor speed reduction, they used the belt drive to the jack shaft, then a small toothed gear to the larger toothed drive gear on the Rotorshaft. I looked all over the net to find a pic of the chain drive, non to be found.

do you have the plans for the Scorpion?

I found a pic of the updated cog belt drive, this at least shows you what it looks like.

I did find a good video of an updated Scorpion with the 152 engine and updated rotorhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt25HXltnws

we just moved to Florida about a year ago, a lot of my flying stuff is still in my shop in n.c.

I may have some plans info on a cd somewhere, i will look and see what i can find.

there is an EAA chapter that has a set of Scorpion plans for sale listed on barnstormer.com.

Attachments

Barney Bahle

I do not see a sealed chain cover anywhere on the machine
If you look at Animal's second picture, just under the fuel tank, there is a black fiberglass housing. That is the chain and cover that he's referring to.

Like Rodney said, Homer Bell is the guy you need to talk to. He's been playing with them since the beginning.

Oops, Tim beat me to it.

kfegley

I have the complete build manual and every letter, technical bulletin, and all revisions that were ever sent to my cousin via Certified mail some even required his response by phone or letter, and the dates on which performed the changes. He kept meticulous records on everything he did to his Scorpion. I even have his final inspection check out Syllabus. Ok so I pretty sure I found the chain box, I attached pictures of the area where it is. After looking at the index in his build manual it was pretty clear what I was looking for...LOL

Thanks again

Regards
Kyle

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Hi Kyle,

This is a rare machine, do you know how many of this type are airworthy today ?

A quick on the FAA for type SCORION TOO shows 238 records - however only 22 of those appear to have been completed the actual registration process - I guess the rest were kits in progress that never completed - that's less than 10% of the projects initiated.

Full listing here - gives builders name - maybe your machine is among them ?

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/AcftRef_results.aspx?Mfrtxt=&Modeltxt=SCORPION TOO&PageNo=1

kfegley

Scorpion Too list

Scorpion Too list

Thank you sir!!! I found his name. Now how can you tell which ones completed the registration process? Are they the ones with the Hyper Linc to the State they are in?

13025U7 Total = 0 HORVATH NELSON J SCORPION TOO Rotorcraft Reciprocating Land Amateur 01
002 Up to 12,499

Steve_UK

Excellent - the ones with the hyperlink will click through to show you a bit about the machine, the N registraion number, the owner and if it is Valid or Expired.

If Valid it may be a flyer.

The type is a rarity today - have you got training organised?

animal

Platinum Member
ok good to see it has the larger secondary shaft in it. I am confused, is there an engine in the Helicopter now? or just the one sitting on the pallet? if there is an engine in it, can you post a side view of the engine?

kfegley

Engine pictures

Engine pictures

Yes the engine is installed in the machine those pictures of the engine on the pallet were poloroids that he had tacked up on his work bench and just decided to take pics of the pics so to speak. It is the same motor that is in the machine Here is the best picture I have of it from the side. I will be going back to the garage this weekend and will get better pics of the engine if you would like.

Regards
Kyle

Attachments

kfegley

Excellent - the ones with the hyperlink will click through to show you a bit about the machine, the N registraion number, the owner and if it is Valid or Expired.

If Valid it may be a flyer.

The type is a rarity today - have you got training organised?
No I do not have any training I don't even know of anyone that would train me in a scorpion.

exeflier

I have this same machine, been sitting for a while. trying to decide what to do about it. the tail rotor belt system, and the belt that drives the mag is the one bad thing I do not like. mine broke during lift off. tried to find a better ing. system than that one. looking for a 152 engine running or not. glad I located this site. sharing info here is a very helpful

Barney Bahle

152 has the same belt driving the ignition. The difference is the 152 has a distributer rather than a magneto. The mag puts a lot more stress on the belt which is supposed to be replaced every 50 hours. The same belt with the distributer has a 100 hour life.