Was the pilot hurt badly?

Was this N327JD back in 2020?

Last edited:
It appears to me that the takeoff is divergent from what is recommended in the Pilot’s Operating Handbook.

Although I am not able to read the rotor tachometer; based on the pilots actions it appears to me to be too much indicated airspeed for the rotor rpm.

When the blades began to diverge I would have brought the cyclic full forward, reduced power to idle and gently applied the brakes.

Or perhaps it was a loss of consciousness or stroke based on the lack of corrective action.

Last edited:
Although I am not able to read the rotor tachometer;
I'm able to read ASI & RRPM indicators:

T (sec) RRPM IAS
0-------186----0 -pre-rotator released, stick moved forward, take-off roll started.
5-------173---63 -stick moved back, as if pilot tried to rotate at proper speed
18------239---81 -power increased to max
26------302--100 - stick moved forward.
33------315--114
Rotor brake light was ON all the time.

Last edited:
Vance wrote:"Or perhaps it was a loss of consciousness or stroke based on the lack of corrective action."

Was that for me?

Vance wrote:"Or perhaps it was a loss of consciousness or stroke based on the lack of corrective action."

Was that for me?
No. You have written that you don't believe in medical events.

I'm able to read ASI & RRPM indicators:

T (sec) RRPM IAS
0-------186----0 -pre-rotator released, stick moved forward, take-off roll started.
5-------173---63 -stick moved back, as if pilot tried to rotate at proper speed
18------239---81 -power increased to max
26------302--100 - stick moved forward.
33------315--114
Rotor brake light was ON all the time.
That appears to me to be too much indicated airspeed for the rotor rpm.

I don’t see the cyclic all the way back at any time during the takeoff roll.

It appears the pilot is making no effort to do a gyroplane takeoff and once things go wrong is doing nothing to correct things.

This is a medical event only in as much as the "pilot" froze up. There may have been two pax on that flight but no pilot!
Question for anyone who has flown that model, is the drooping left side a normal occurrence for flying that rig solo?

never said I didn't believe in them, just that it is statistically impossible that all unknown reasons are medical...it's copium/hopium for those left trying to justify what happened to a loved one.

If this was N327JD:

According to a witness, the gyroplane used more runway than typical to become airborne before it began to drift toward the left edge of the runway. About halfway down the runway, the gyroplane departed the runway, bounced over a taxiway, porpoised, and came to rest inverted. The witness stated that he saw no indication that the pilot had attempted to slow down or correct the left deviation from centerline. After the accident, a medical evaluation identified that the pilot had experienced a cerebral infarction (stroke). Symptoms often develop suddenly and can include numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg; confusion; difficulty speaking; trouble seeing; severe headache; and loss of coordination. It is likely that the pilot was incapacitated by the stroke during the takeoff roll.

Probable Cause: The pilot's incapacitation during the takeoff roll due to a stroke.

I have no way to judge the veracity of the report above if this is the aircraft in the video. I suspect Tyler is familiar with this accident since it occurred in his neck of the woods.

Jim

Well Jim...I'll be dipped!
Okay so here we have a perfect example of a medical issue caught on camera!

It does look like hes death gripping the stick, no pun intended, and possibly holding left, I know there is a rotorway Talon I think? That you have to slide a weight on the opposite skid if flying solo...
Could the oscillation have been from him holding the stick so tight he was transfering the per rev to the entire rig?
I don't know, but that ground rush is a hard sight to forget if youve seen it. Took me years to get over it completely.

It appears to me that the takeoff is divergent from what is recommended in the Pilot’s Operating Handbook.
Well, that's something even I can agree with you about.

What a painful video to watch. Throttle wide open, and that odd oscillation. Glad he survived it!

What happened here?

Yikes. He flapped the crap out of those rotors. The stick shaking as he speeds up all the way to almost 90+ is a dead giveaway and he did not to abort and in fact seemed to have doubled down and he definitely pulled the stick left and went off to the side or the rotor disc was banking left due to retreating blade stall and he still did not do anything to correct. If he did not have a medical event, I would consider him unqualified to fly. If he had a medical event, I think its time to rethink flying solo also. I hope he is alive because that was very fast as he went off the side

If this was N327JD:

According to a witness, the gyroplane used more runway than typical to become airborne before it began to drift toward the left edge of the runway. About halfway down the runway, the gyroplane departed the runway, bounced over a taxiway, porpoised, and came to rest inverted. The witness stated that he saw no indication that the pilot had attempted to slow down or correct the left deviation from centerline. After the accident, a medical evaluation identified that the pilot had experienced a cerebral infarction (stroke). Symptoms often develop suddenly and can include numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg; confusion; difficulty speaking; trouble seeing; severe headache; and loss of coordination. It is likely that the pilot was incapacitated by the stroke during the takeoff roll.

Probable Cause: The pilot's incapacitation during the takeoff roll due to a stroke.

I have no way to judge the veracity of the report above if this is the aircraft in the video. I suspect Tyler is familiar with this accident since it occurred in his neck of the woods.

Jim

Ah I see. It seems partial incapacitation because he has his grip on the stick like there is no tomorrow. That is sad. Perhaps time to not fly alone but with another PIC. I am glad he remained with us because this could have easily been a fatal