BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
Dude, were not busting your chops.....
YOU NEED TO RELEARN HOW TO FLY A GYRO!!!!
A very costly rollover incident is imminent!
Check your ADM's and get some training from a different instructor....

Mayfield

Gold Supporter
With respect:

Too fast.
Too flat.
Right main touchdown followed by nose gear followed by a lateral PIO for a couple of cycles.
Did the left main ever touch for more than a moment?
Power application and left yaw.
I'm glad you recovered, but it looked close to a serious incident to me.

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
What is stopping you from RAISING THE NOSE as you sink in?

Below 2 feet, as you feel her run out of energy, and finally sink, gently pull the stick back 1 inch, and hold.

Then try it again with 2 inches. Then maybe three. Somewhere in this region you will perfect a nose-wheel off landing, and will remember the muscle-memory.

Once the rear wheels touch, gently close the throttle (if any) and gently pull the stick all the way back.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
What were the winds?
There is not enough information to make a judgement on what exactly happened after landing too flat.
I feel this may be a good example of it works till it doesn't.
It appears to me the wind was not straight down the runway.

Inquiring Mind

Below 2 feet, as you feel her run out of energy, and finally sink, gently pull the stick back 1 inch, and hold.

Then try it again with 2 inches. Then maybe three. Somewhere in this region you will perfect a nose-wheel up landing, and will remember the muscle-memory.
Thank you! Will do next time I fly, and report back with the results.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
What is stopping you from RAISING THE NOSE as you sink in?

Then try it again with 2 inches. Then maybe three. Somewhere in this region you will perfect a nose-wheel up landing, and will remember the muscle-memory.

Once the rear wheels touch, gently close the throttle (if any) and gently pull the stick all the way back.
I have not done well with students who think they should pull the cyclic back a specific amount.

It works till it doesn't.

I have found it works best for me to listen to what the gyroplane is trying to tell me and respond rather than trying to enforce some standard procedure.

I have found every landing is different and it works best if I respond to what is happening rather than what I expect to happen.

Last edited:

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
I have not done well with students who think they should pull the cyclic back a specific amount.

It works till it doesn't.

I have found it works best for me to listen to what the gyroplane is trying to tell me and respond rather than trying to enforce some standard procedure.

I have found every landing is different an it works best if I respond to what is happening rather than what I expect to happen.
I agree Vance, eventually it becomes instinctive, and very nuanced.

But for someone who is struggling to "get off the blocks" I can only recount what worked for me.

To the OP. Ideally this should be done with an instructor, who can save you if things go wrong.

No offence, but I really think you DO need a few hours extra instruction, rather than ekeing out free tidbits from a forum.

I am NOT an instructor and I am a low-hours gyro pilot.

Last edited:

Abid

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 560 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes. Pilot Airplane
You need to learn to slow down and flare to land. It is time to go back to the instructor (may be a different instructor even) before you flip that gyroplane. I would not recommend at this point you keep trying things and report back. It is obvious that it is a trend you have developed of landing very flat. I have seen in multiple videos. That is wrong. There are no two ways about it. Its time for more instruction with a proper instructor. Just a friendly but urgent warning. Fly safe.

Last edited:

Andino

Aircraft
many FW airplanes + various autogyros
Total Flight Time
>1000 hours
Thank you! Will do next time I fly, and report back with the results.
Please do not try it on your own "next time." We are not your instructors, and you clearly need to pause flying until you gain some dual time with the right instructor for 0 groundspeed landings. You've documented many lucky landings, and survived so far. I hoped you had gotten the message from us during the last thread, but with this thread it's apparent that you have yet to. This alarms me, and probably others. Please just pause your solo work until you get enough dual time to burn off your bad habits.

DavePA11

I agree - more flare to slow down and touch down on mains and not a three point landing. Once on mains and continued back pressure you can lower front wheel. Think this has been the general feedback since beginning. That was very close to accident. Thanks for sharing. Maybe fly down and spend some time with Mark in Gulf shores Alabama?

There was recent Magni 24 Plus N4731D accident totaling the gyro so we don’t need any more insurance claims… I had to put my purchase plans on hold a bit, but want to be able to insure it so no accidents! :)

Last edited:

Andino

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>1000 hours
Andino, I assume you are a CFI. May I ask you what gyro you teach in?
No, I'm not a CFI, and neither are most respondents here but for a couple. We're just chiming in from our experience. If your gyro had a castering nosewheel, then you could get away with such landings. But it doesn't, so you cannot, not forever. I'm glad you posted your videos and had a chance to hear this feedback. Many others hadn't that benefit.

Abid

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 560 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes. Pilot Airplane
Andino, I assume you are a CFI. May I ask you what gyro you teach in?

Really that is irrelevant. If this video is from Aug 9, 2022 (the date it was posted) and not from 2021 like date marker on your actual video says, then you better get some proper landing hours with an instructor. Andino is right about that. I am hoping this is an old video that you just posted and your current landings and flare is not this flat.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
So, nobody noticed a gust of left crosswind right before the throttle was applied?
From post #7
What were the winds?
There is not enough information to make a judgement on what exactly happened after landing too flat.
I feel this may be a good example of it works till it doesn't.
It appears to me the wind was not straight down the runway.

Andino

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>1000 hours
So, nobody noticed a gust of left crosswind right before the throttle was applied?
Yes, I noticed that. But, it's Pilot In Command, not Crosswind In Command. The lovely thing about gyros is that with a 100' wide runway, there needn't be a "crosswind" component at all; just land into the wind, even if completely runway widthwise. Granted, this is an advanced technique stemming from the foundational ability to land at near-0 groundspeed. Also, you'll need to communicate with traffic or tower such an intention, as it won't be intuitive to fixed-wing people.

As BenS wrote, we're not "busting your chops" here. You asked our opinion. I think you'll become trained out of these habits, and you'll do well. You recovered quickly from that near tump-over, so your reactions served you. Use your reprieve wisely, though. :)

wolfy

Gold Supporter
With pretty much anything that fly's "airspeed is safety", but not when putting a gyro back on the ground where ground speed is dangerous
With respect I think you may have forgotten that a gyro won't stall, so below say 2-3 feet ( and of course above say 200-300) there is no such thing as too slow. Just try to wash off all airspeed at 2' until it settles onto the ground at hopefully very low ground speed.

wolfy