1 dead after gyroplane crashes into marshy area at Clear Lake, officials say

My condolences to the family.

this accident now appears on the latest FAA ASIAS update

type confirmed as Sport Copter Vortex N425RD - 02-DEC-21 "AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO MARSHY AREA DUE TO UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES"

FAA Document Index shows activity in November 21.

I know he'd recently bought the Vortex, and just started flying it :(

Sorry to hear that.

Would you know if he was an experienced gyro pilot ?

My deepest condolences to family and friends

Sorry to hear that.

Would you know if he was an experienced gyro pilot ?
These REGO details show build year 2019 (under name Russell)
Then transferred in April 2021 (under name Thomas)
Refreshed November 2021
However , that does not tell us who pilot accident was

Was it the registered owner Kenneth E Thomas who died?
I could not find an obituary notice for Kenneth E Thomas to express our condolences for their/our loss.

"These REGO details show build year 2019........"

kind of - I think the lifespan of this particular Vortex serial 011 predates 2019 - I think it was originally registered as N3212Y ( circa 2006 ? ) until cancelled in 2017 - assume re-built/restored and took up N425RD in 2019.

According to the Lake County News, the pilot that was killed was William Jensen, not the owner of the aircraft.

Accident pilot was not new to flying gyros, nor new to having crashed in a gyro.
See the article RE: his prior crash in a Cavalon.

"...In August 2020, Jensen had been involved in a gyrocopter crash near Upper Lake.
Both Berlinn and NTSB records confirmed that the aircraft involved in the August 2020 crash was not the same as the one that crashed this week. The gyrocopter in the earlier incident belonged to Jensen, according to federal records.

In the 2020 crash, Jensen had a male passenger from Windsor riding with him as they were flying over the Clover Valley area in his two-seat 2017 Autogyro Cavalon.

His own narrative of the flight explained that he had dropped down for a closer look while passing over a ranch belonging to an old flying friend when, as he was making a pass, he looked backward and accidentally pulled the stick backward as well, causing the aircraft to slow down and drop altitude.

The account said the gyrocopter fell through the trees and hit the ground. While the fuselage remained intact, much of the rest of the aircraft was destroyed.

The sheriff’s office reported at the time that both Jensen and his passenger were conscious and alert, and later airlifted out of the county for medical treatment.

Federal aviation investigations can take months to complete, so a finding on the Thursday crash’s cause is not expected immediately.

Meantime, the sheriff’s office said it is conducting a coroner’s investigation."

Accident pilot was not new to flying gyros, nor new to having crashed in a gyro.
See the article RE: his prior crash in a Cavalon.

"...In August 2020, Jensen had been involved in a gyrocopter crash near Upper Lake.
Both Berlinn and NTSB records confirmed that the aircraft involved in the August 2020 crash was not the same as the one that crashed this week. The gyrocopter in the earlier incident belonged to Jensen, according to federal records.

In the 2020 crash, Jensen had a male passenger from Windsor riding with him as they were flying over the Clover Valley area in his two-seat 2017 Autogyro Cavalon.

His own narrative of the flight explained that he had dropped down for a closer look while passing over a ranch belonging to an old flying friend when, as he was making a pass, he looked backward and accidentally pulled the stick backward as well, causing the aircraft to slow down and drop altitude.

The account said the gyrocopter fell through the trees and hit the ground. While the fuselage remained intact, much of the rest of the aircraft was destroyed.

The sheriff’s office reported at the time that both Jensen and his passenger were conscious and alert, and later airlifted out of the county for medical treatment.

Federal aviation investigations can take months to complete, so a finding on the Thursday crash’s cause is not expected immediately.

Meantime, the sheriff’s office said it is conducting a coroner’s investigation."

Its sad that he has passed away. His 2020 accident should have been a wake up call. Flying isn't for everyone and gyroplane flying isn't for everyone. You have to be alert, detailed oriented of clear mind and sound body when you decide to be a PIC of an aircraft. Statistically close to 90% of all aircraft accidents fall under pilot error. A harsh reality we all need to think about from time to time.

The pilot was William Jensen, and he recently (as in the couple of months) bought this Vortex. I don't believe he had many hours in it. I'd guess he was at fewer than 100 hours total in gyros.