Gyrobee again for sale

To add to All In's comment:

Some gyro-knowledgeable FAA officials are aware that a flex-shaft prerotator will usually put even a very stripped gyro over the 103 weight limit.

My 'Bee comes in about 3 lb. under the 103 limit with no prerotator, nylon wheels, an overhead stick, a 447, 2-blade wood prop, a lawnmower tach and Hall airspeed and even a lightened-up nosewheel block.

I'm never sure whether to say that I get INTO it or WEAR it. It does fly nicely, however, stripped-down or not.

chrisk;n1121246 said:
Just curious what this issue is with getting the sport pilot certificate. Was it finding a local instructor? Was it the written test? Ground School?
Hi Chris
I'm sorry I did not anwser you at first I was confused in the Sport PILOT certificate and assumed you were asking another poster. Then I reread it and realized the question was to me.

You can fly gyro-planes with a Sport Pilot License but you cannot built a gyroplane and have it registered as s Light Sport Aircraft.
Experimental Aircraft qualify to fly with a Sport Pilot Certificate or Private Certificate because they are under the Light Sport Category WEIGHT.

Gyroplane are not allowed to be include in the Light Sport Category of aircraft. The FAA specifically excluded gyroplane from being registered as light sport aircraft.
This hurts us because we cannot rent them to solo in or setup a fixed base operation with experimental as you can with Light Sport.
We will not grow as much until the FAA lets us in.

Last edited:
chrisk;n1121246 said:
Just curious what this issue is with getting the sport pilot certificate. Was it finding a local instructor? Was it the written test? Ground School?

It takes a big commitment to get a sport pilot certificate.

The knowledge test is easy for some and difficult for others.

The dual required with the specific tasks is expensive and time consuming.

It often requires travel and there may be logistical challenges.

For a standalone sport pilot certificate; access to a gyroplane is required for the required five hours of solo.

There may not be a local designated pilot examiner that is required if you don’t already have a pilot’s certificate requiring more travel with the attendant logistical challenges.

It is my observation that many people are not willing to make that commitment of time, effort and money once they quantify it.

I worked to become a private pilot because my aircraft is too heavy for sport pilot with the additional challenges.

My flight instructor was 500 miles away requiring an eight hour drive each way.

There were days when the wind never let up and we did not fly.

The designated pilot examiner was also 500 miles away.

It took nine months from the time I purchased my gyroplane to passing my practical test.

I failed the first time requiring more dual instruction and a retest..

I feel it was time and money well spent.

After 2,000 hours in rotorcraft my joy continues to grow with each flight.

I love helping people become gyroplane pilots.

All_In;n1121286 said:
Experimental Aircraft qualify to fly with a Sport Pilot Certificate or Private Certificate because they are under the Light Sport Category WEIGHT....Gyroplane are not allowed to be include in the Light Sport Category of aircraft.

John, I hope this doesn't come across as picking nits, but it remains a big source of confusion. "Light Sport Aircraft" (LSA) is not a category. It is a definition, found in FAR 1.1, of limits on aircraft, regardless of category, which may be flown by Sport Pilots. For example, I learned to fly in an Aeronca 7AC Champ, an airplane manufactured in 1946 and registered in standard category, but which qualifies as an LSA.

Gyroplanes, regardless of how they're registered, qualify as LSAs as long as they meet the limits specified in FAR 1.1.

The categories for registration are Special Light Sport Aircraft (S-LSA) and Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (E-LSA). Every S-LSA or E-LSA is also an LSA, but many LSAs are not S- nor E-LSAs.

It's unfortunate the FAA chose these confusing terms, but it's important we try to keep them straight.

PW_Plack;n1121290 said:
John, I hope this doesn't come across as picking nits, but it remains a big source of confusion. "Light Sport Aircraft" (LSA) is not a category. It is a definition, found in FAR 1.1, of limits on aircraft, regardless of category, which may be flown by Sport Pilots. For example, I learned to fly in an Aeronca 7AC Champ, an airplane manufactured in 1946 and registered in standard category, but which qualifies as an LSA.

Gyroplanes, regardless of how they're registered, qualify as LSAs as long as they meet the limits specified in FAR 1.1.

The categories for registration are Special Light Sport Aircraft (S-LSA) and Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (E-LSA). Every S-LSA or E-LSA is also an LSA, but many LSAs are not S- nor E-LSAs.

It's unfortunate the FAA chose these confusing terms, but it's important we try to keep them straight.
Oh you nit picker you! I did, think to look it up and do a little research, but man things are really happening at PRA and then add the convention there is no time.

Bro, I never care if I'm right I only wish to know and disseminate the 100% truth so I really appreciate all nit picking when you teach us the PRECISE facts.
And Brother I would not ask you to edit all of the PRA letters & doc's if I did not I need YOU to nit pick my writing! You know about everything and always help!!!

Now nit picking with just "I disagree and vague or no facts" really gets my goat!!!
Teachers used to do that to me until I was clued in and told they did not know the anwser. I was in shock, how could a teacher not know their one little subject?

So everyone please nit pick my posts with facts, need it and love knowing so much more than being right!!

Thank you bro for teaching us so much over the years! I miss your posts!!!!!

Last edited:
All_In;n1121286 said:
Hi Chris
I'm sorry I did not anwser you at first I was confused in the Sport PILOT certificate and assumed you were asking another poster. Then I reread it and realized the question was to me.

You can fly gyro-planes with a Sport Pilot License but you cannot built a gyroplane and have it registered as s Light Sport Aircraft.
Experimental Aircraft qualify to fly with a Sport Pilot Certificate or Private Certificate because they are under the Light Sport Category WEIGHT.

Gyroplane are not allowed to be include in the Light Sport Category of aircraft. The FAA specifically excluded gyroplane from being registered as light sport aircraft.
This hurts us because we cannot rent them to solo in or setup a fixed base operation with experimental as you can with Light Sport.
We will not grow as much until the FAA lets us in.

Hi John,
Sorry, the question was not for you. It was for the original poster. But, I do appreciate the response. :) Anyway I see the OP is from Missouri. I believe Mark Sprigg is an instructor/DPE who also lives in MO. I was just wondering if the OP needed the right contact info to get/complete instruction. --Instead of just flying illegally. Or maybe the OP had other reasons to abandon his dream?
Chris

Doug Riley;n1121260 said:
I'm never sure whether to say that I get INTO it or WEAR it. It does fly nicely, however, stripped-down or not.
Would you post a photo of your gyro, love to see it? Thanks.

Sorry I seem to have gotten two threads going at the same time. The other has current pictures, it's too bad that the youtube clip of it flying is gone. If anyone can reach Adam H, maybe he still has that. My reasons for selling are: older-Hah!, planning knee replacement, still working with not enough free time, and the most important--it was quite far to see Ron Menzie for lesson time, no one else closer. Is he still doing it?

Looking back, one could say it might have been better to have an unregistered ultralight, take some lessons, and just do it! I mean, read Glenn Curtiss' biography and grow a pair, eh? He was something.

I was asking 10K in 2014, will take less now.

Tom C