Optimum axle width

Lee Scatt

Crash-test pilot
Aircraft
Bensen/BMW R-1100 (under construction)
Total Flight Time
500+
I'd appreciate some input on axle width. I am building a rigid 2x2 axle gyro, with a C.G. at about 45" above ground. AUW about 750 lbs. I have only built Bensens, with a much lower cg. I feel I have a fairly good landing and ground handling technique, and am not overly worried about rollover.

As a first estimation, I would determine the angle at which the rotor touches the ground with the stick at full travel in the opposite direction, then design the width of the wheel base such that the CG is still just barely inside of the wheels .
Once the rotor impacts the ground , there is no longer any point in worrying if the fuselage is going to flop over.
Your skills in landing may be more of a function of the skills of the designer than the skills of the pilot.

A well designeg gyro should require minimal skills to keep it upright.
It should require an exceptional effort to get it to play dead!

If you are going to have an AUW of 750 you might want to go with two 1"x 2" instead of 1 2"x2"

Yes, Dave it will be 2-1x2, I was thinking like Willie, what the best geometry would be, without being a pain to trailer, too much drag etc.. I reckon I'll guess and cut.

Anywhere between 3ft and what fits on your trailer should work. :)