Fixed Wing PP requirements to fly Gyr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Wing PP requirements to fly Gyr

I have searched for an answer but still a little confused. What is required for a fixed wing private pilot to legally fly a single place gyro (Dual , solo and ground school requirements)?
    Was also also curious about cost of liability insurance for a single place gyro. I have asked my Insurance company that insures my RV3 but havenít heard back yet.
    Thanks
    Jim

Most of us seem to be flying as sport pilots, where it's an endorsement. An instructor signs you off to do a proficiency test with another instructor, and you're all set.

There are only a couple of insurers who deal with gyroplanes, and liability only seems to run around $1500 for a 2 seater. Not sure what a single seater would cost - that'd be a question an insurance agent should be able to answer. I use Denise Porter, Aviation West Insurance Brokers in California ([email protected]).

Comment

Thanks. Thatís encouraging about the training requirements. Hopefully insurance for single place will be s lot less. I use USAA/Falcon for my RV3 liability only and itís about $295. I sent them a email but havenít heard back. Falcon just acts as a broker and gets quotes from the underwriter.

Comment

A Sport-Pilot ENDORSEMENT is relatively easy, but you will be limited to SP privileges. Day, VFR, etc.
        An endorsement. from a CFI. 2 to 20 hours of dual time needed, but about 10 hours will be typical.

For a PP Gyro RATING is covered in FAR 61.109(d) which states the requirement for 40 hours of flight time,
        it doesn't specify that an applicant for a gyroplane rating must have 40 flight hours in a gyroplane.
        You probably already have 40+ hours in FW aircraft.

Specifically, you must obtain the following flight experience in a gyroplane:
        3 hours of cross-country training;
        3 hours of night flight training including one cross-country flight more than 50 nm in total distance,
        10 Night takeoffs and landings to a full stop;
        10 hours of solo, which include three hours of cross-country flight more than 75 nm in distance and to three different airports,
        3 takeoffs and landings at a towered airport.
        And Three hours of flight-test preparation;

- - - - -

A one Million dollar Liability policy will typically be about $1500 a year as stated.
        Dual or single will make little difference.
        If you lawn-dart either type into a house, The damages from the fire will be the same.

Collision and comprehensive seems to run about 10% of the declared value.
        An $80,000 Gyro will run about $8,000 for a year of coverage.
        You can add Comprehensive that covers the Airframe for Fire, Theft, other accidents as long as the Rotor is NOT Turning to a liability policy for another few hundred dollars.

Comment

My Magni is has hull coverage for $65K, at around $4800. I did get a ~$7000 quote though. Supposedly there was another insurer looking at the market, and hopefully they'll be cheaper (not sure why they'd bother if they're as / more expensive though). I was hoping to get a rate reduction this year, as I'll have >100 hours on type, but now I'm starting to think that's unlikely :(

Comment

I have about 1350 hours fixed wing. I went to my first tailwheel airplane about 350 hours ago and saw a jump from my nosewheel Piper Colt. Still my liability was only $350 and dropped to $295 after getting a few more tailwheel hours. I just called Falcon for a ball park liability only quote for a single place Dominator and will post what they have to say.

Comment

I just discovered that Falcon also writes the insurance sponsored by the EAA. I think it would be up our benefit if the PRA could get with the EAA and sponser insurance option for gyros. It possibly provide some good low cost coverage.

Comment

I think Falcon was my ~$7000 quote. My ~$4800 policy is with QBE.

Comment

Working...
                X