"Arerodynamics of Gyroplanes"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Arerodynamics of Gyroplanes"

Are any of you familair or know anything of this extensive 356 page study released by the UK CAA. Its a joint research between the University of Glasgow and the UK CAA. The good Professor "Houston" man behind the report.

I would be interested in those who know anything about Professor Houston and this 'extensive' report. If its already been discussed here then please forgive me for missing it.
    Brian Reid
    Pooncarie, Australia.

Try this link:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/sea...archid=2926741

Comment

Peter Lovegrove had some interesting thoughts about both report and Author.
      Leigh.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Beaty View Post
        The link wouldnt work for me, help please.
        Brian Reid
        Pooncarie, Australia.

Comment

Peter Lovegrove had some interesting thoughts about both report and Author.

Where can I find out more information about Peter Lovegrove??
          Brian Reid
          Pooncarie, Australia.

Comment

Youíre right, Brian, the link didnít work for me either.

Go to the members list and find Chippydriver, Dr. Houstonís pseudonym. Then you can open all of his posts.

Comment

Here is the link to the report from the CAA. It's about 12 megabytes, and in PDF format.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Paper2009_02red.pdf
              Mike Gaspard
              Forum Administrator
              Kaplan, Louisiana
              Bensen B8MG, NX36MG

Comment

Peter Lovegrove

http://www.gyrobooks.com/gyrobooks_013.htm
                Leigh.

Comment

I'm always skeptical of an author who claims to have "all there is to know." It would be great to get a review of this book.
                  Paul W. Plack
                  Private ASEL, SP Gyroplane
                  Secretary, URA & PRA2
                  Editor, Western Rotorcraft

Comment

Paul buy it and review it yourself.

Peter has been building and around gyros for over 30years here in the UK. A former engineering officer in the BRA he built the Bensen I am flying, and that is over 30yrs old.

Chippydriver's experience with gyros perhaps not quite as extensive.
                    Leigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Resasi View Post
                      Paul buy it and review it yourself...
                      Leigh, I could, but it might be better reviewed by someone with a lot more knowledge about gyros!
                      Paul W. Plack
                      Private ASEL, SP Gyroplane
                      Secretary, URA & PRA2
                      Editor, Western Rotorcraft

Comment

It surprises me that not a lot was discussed about the Houston study, after all, I believe it was mentioned that it took 500,000 punds to compile it plus wind tunneling, many years work etc and yet it provoked so little response about such an important issue.

Am I missing something here, I would appreciate comments on this .

BTW, I got the link working thank you although I have not downloaded the PDF file yet but will do so.
                        Brian Reid
                        Pooncarie, Australia.

Comment

Hereís an article by Peter Lovegrove explaining the difference between spindle rotorheads and offset gimbal rotorheads.

Trouble is; most of it is bassackwards.

How many people can spot the errors?

http://www.autogyro.com/technic/offsetg.htm

Comment

I just skimmed over it, but the thing that jumped out at me was that he is treating the Lift and Drag of the rotor as seperate forces instead of components of the the Rotor Thrust Vector. And shouldn't the drag component lessen at higher speeds?

I'm wondering how much experience he had with spindle heads or overhead sticks.
                            Mike Gaspard
                            Forum Administrator
                            Kaplan, Louisiana
                            Bensen B8MG, NX36MG

Comment

Peter seems to have been greatly affected personally by Ernie Brooks's fatal crash. He searched hard for a technical explanation for an event that was probably a porpoising or zero G accident of the type that was all too common in Bensen-clone gyros back then.

I flew my first 100-150 hours with a spindle head, liked it and experienced no weirdness such as Peter predicts. I liked the gimbal head less, in fact, when I first got one. The gimbal head made the stick feel like it was planted in a pail of oatmeal. The spindle head had what was to me an enjoyably light stick force. I didn't fly over 70 mph and didn't try aerobatics, though.

(BTW, the only reason I bought a gimbal head at all was that the spindle in the Bensen spindle head is a little suspect from the structural viewpoint. I had mine magnafluxed a couple times because it worried me (a few did break in flight, with obvious consequences). The spindle was made by cutting various journal diameters into bar stock on a lathe. This is a bit like cutting them into a broom handle; you expose "end grain" at those points where the diameter changes. Shafts like this are better made by forging, since that process makes the grain follow the shape of the piece. The gimbal head uses a dumb old AN bolt as its spindle, and is more wholesome in that regard.)

I never experienced a tendency toward exaggerated flare such as Peter describes. Tipping the spindle aft certainly increases thrust (both lift and drag, more or less in proportion to each other), but the angle between the rotor disk (tip-path plane) and the spindle actually DEcreases when you do this. Why? RRPM increases, which in turn reduces the blowback angle at any given airspeed.
                              Last edited by Doug Riley; 10-22-2010, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X