No announcement yet.

Short run with strong prelaunch ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I operate in a different world. I prespin to 150% of flight rpm while sitting still in flat collective pitch, and then pop in pitch when I want to leave the ground, using no runway.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Willie View Post
      In reality, most gyros utilize runways (paved or otherwise) that are more than 500m long, with many exceeding 1000m, so whether you get off in 100m or 200m is mostly just a matter of bragging rights.
      In France, many of the runways used by the Air Recreational Vehicles are about 300 to 400 meters only. With trees or power lines at the end. take of in 100m or 200m are a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Claude View Post
        In France, many of the runways used by the Air Recreational Vehicles are about 300 to 400 meters only. With trees or power lines at the end. take of in 100m or 200m are a big difference.
        I am guessing that it is also less important to be rolling within 30 seconds of crossing the hold line at such airfields. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Willie View Post
          If you pre-rotate higher, the rotor presents greater drag and slows the acceleration down the runway.
          If you limit the pre-rotation, the lower drag allows for faster acceleration but requires more time for the rotor to attain flight speed.
          it is a no-win situation. You can't short-change the Energy Demon!
          I agree with you, but it is possible to avoid wasting energy by using the rotor as an air brake at the beginning of the run.
          Here, It appears a distance shortening of 20% only if the rotor A.o.A is 0 degrees up to 30 mph.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Sans titre5.png Views:	1 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	1141681

Comment

Working...
          X