Name:	stable-one-man-helicopter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	1138194

from here:

http://www.buildagyrocopter.com/one-man-rotary-wing-craft/
    Cheers,

Juergen

..Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte..
    ....non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter,...
    ...mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher...
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry -

Stanley Hiller & wife. 1946...

Comment

Thanks for the hint, Javier! When I saw the picture I thought: "Great to be a helicopter designer"! If you meet a nice young lady you don't have to ask her: "Would you like to see my stamp collection?". You just place her in your contraption and put your arm around her saying: "Hey, babe,let me help you with that handle..".

On a more sombre note, he must have been exceedingly confident about his design, with his wife not strapped to the aircraft. When the Sikorsky VS-300 was first flown by a new pilot he didn't strap himself to the seat and when he took off he managed to make the aircraft buck so wildly that he was thrown upwards right through the rotor disk. Fortunately, that close to the shaft, the the speed of the blade was low enough so he wasn't killed. He got away with a broken arm.

PS: there is no post signature in your mail, do you just don't have one or did you turn it off? If the latter is the case, how do you do that? In my profile I have "Show Signature" off but it still appears sometimes. Is there a way to turn it off post by post, as in the old forum?
      Cheers,

Juergen

..Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte..
      ....non quand il n'y a plus rien à ajouter,...
      ...mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher...
      - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry -

Comment

Rotary-wing machines are extraordinary aircraft, and these pioneers were extraordinary people too: Cierva, Young, Hiller, Flettner, Sikorsky, Bensen, all of them lived extraordinary lives...

PS: No idea about those 'post signatures'...
        Last edited by XXavier; 09-13-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X