Best Way To Contact Transport Canada

FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
I got a new nasty letter from Transport Canada Medical section.

I say Nasty well I'm 5'9" 250lbs and he the TC medical doctor called me obese
I'm no doctor but I work all week over 50 hours and has a mechanic and don't fell obese if I'm obese well I will stop complaining but I don't fell it.

So in short he told me since I was obese that I had to go take a Diabetes test.
Yes he use the word obese

so I am?

Frank,

Body mass index, BMI, is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. A BMI over 30 is defined as obese; based on your height and weight, your BMI is 36.9. "Obese" isn't a kind word, but your doc is probably just following the book.

(An example of a BMI calculator is here.)

Sorry to say, but you fit the definition of Obese.
Obese is a medical term, and should not be considered an insult.
Normal body mass for your height is 170 lbs.
This places you 80 lbs over normal weight.

I am overweight! And I will not argue the point.
I am 5'11" and 200 lbs and I definitely agree that I need to loose 20 lbs.

Consider yourself lucky that the subject has come to your attention before any related medical conditions have reared their heads.

If you are flying the Bensen B8 you list in your profile, you are at Max Gross Weight before adding any fuel. Be safe my friend!

My normal weight is 220lbs so even at 220lbs I'm obese ok thanks guys I will shut up and do my test.

Frank,

Body mass index, BMI, is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. A BMI over 30 is defined as obese; based on your height and weight, your BMI is 36.9. "Obese" isn't a kind word, but your doc is probably just following the book.

(An example of a BMI calculator is here.)

nice calculator for me .....but this calculator makes my wife over weight and she's 5'4" and 148lbs and my wife is not over weight. maybe only works for Men and is fail for Women.

I hate the whole BMI thing. I'm 185 and 5'11. I qualify as over weight. I need to be at 175 to be at the very high end of "Normal". And at 135 lbs, I would still be considered normal. --Nonsense. At 135 lbs, I'm sick with cancer and ready to die. Below 165 would be low weight. 185 is probably at the high end of normal.

We are all in denial! (Me Too!)

It has been so long since the US population has looked Normal that we have forgotten what normal looks like.
Obese has become the new Normal.

Normal weight is Not the average of the population.
Go to a mall and look for the normal weight people to pass by.
They are few and far between.

Obesity is related to longevity.
50% of Normal weight people live to see 82 years of age.
50% of obese people only make it to 77.
50% of the morbidly obese are gone before 70. 85% are gone by 82.

Think about all the times the news featured people celebrating their 100th Birthdays,
How many would you describe as "Little" Old Men/Ladies?

A 5'4", 148lb woman is technically 3lbs overweight. Insignificant!
This isn't an exact science, it is just a general guide.
Don't get caught up in the exact numbers.

If you can Jog a 3K non-stop, you are fine.
If you can't Walk 3K non-stop, you're in trouble.

Attachments

• Obesity.jpg
    Obesity.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
BMI is an oversimplification by simply associating height and weight.
It does not consider, how much of your weight is muscle (i.e. good).

The story is old, but Brad Pitt, while filming Troy, weight 80 kg and is 180cm tall. That puts him on BMI 24,7.
BMI 25 is already considered overweight!

Brad.png

If you want to know for sure, you can undergo a (pricey) test of finding out, how much of you really is fat. That is much more significant.
Some people who look slim, actually have a lot of visceral, i.e. intra-organ fat, which is the worst. Pot belly is apparently the second worst.

Kai.

The problem I was alluding to is what BMI qualifies as over weight. In 1998, BMI range for over weight changed. Prior to 1998, a BMI of 28 (for men) was the start of the over weight range. It was changed to 25.

Perhaps your just a few inches too short.

BMI is an oversimplification by simply associating height and weight. It does not consider, how much of your weight is muscle (i.e. good).

True, but some health risks, including sleep apnea, correlate to BMI regardless of whether it's fat or muscle. Another correlating factor for apnea is a neck size over 17" in men - same thing, could be muscle or fat, but you're still at risk.