Airport Disrimination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Disrimination

My airport KGEZ (Shelbyville Indiana). I've been asking for a larger hanger with an office for over a year. I have filled out 2 applications. Each time when I go to the next meeting to get approval I'm told they have newly changed minimum standards. Now I'm told they are going to be changed again in September. I told the board that I'd file a complaint with the FAA because the hangar is filled with a paint company that has nothing to do with aviation so, therefore I want it for an aviation purpose and those people have to leave. Last month I was told no I could not have the hangar. Last week I receive a letter that says I cannot train anymore and if I do, I will be evicted and banned from the airport.
    http://gyroplanetraining.com/

Helping Plan a grand 2017 PRA convention

PRA BOD # 38604

Unfortunately I've heard your story over and over through the years. What you get for an Airport Board is the luck of the draw. Luckily ours if filled with pilots. We have airport about 100 miles south who's board sounds like yours and is more interested in business development than aviation development. The EAA and AOPA have a lot of experience with this issue and may be able to help.

Comment

If the airport receives FAA money there are a lot of things they cant do to you as a pilot and aircraft owner.

Give the FAA a call and ask for help.
      Best Regards,
      Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
      (575) 835-4921

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Drake View Post
        My airport KGEZ (Shelbyville Indiana). I've been asking for a larger hanger with an office for over a year. I have filled out 2 applications. Each time when I go to the next meeting to get approval I'm told they have newly changed minimum standards. Now I'm told they are going to be changed again in September. I told the board that I'd file a complaint with the FAA because the hangar is filled with a paint company that has nothing to do with aviation so, therefore I want it for an aviation purpose and those people have to leave. Last month I was told no I could not have the hangar. Last week I receive a letter that says I cannot train anymore and if I do, I will be evicted and banned from the airport.
        I have an airport 40 miles north of me that wants to charge 100 bucks to trailer my aircraft into the airport.
        I thought that was ridiculous.
        I called the FAA and was told that with the new security rules at federally funded airports, they could basically do what they want .
        If I fly in there is no charge.
        If you are based inside the airport they have rule and can deny service and entry at their discretion.
        If you fly in and are not a resident of the airport, you have free rein.
        So, if you have a registered air craft, your CFI is up to date and you fly in, there is nothing they can do.
        If you become a pain in the ass, then they will deem you a threat and can ban you from the airport.
        Life,The leading cause of Death

Live and Learn--OR--Die and be an example

Comment

Sometime in the last year or so, I read that the FAA has started to allow hangars at airports that have received federal funding anytime in the past to be used for non-aviation purposes (storage of any safe items), such as your airport's decision to allow the paint warehousing.

You may have shot yourself in the foot, Brent, by demanding they vacate to you in order to have a larger office in a hangar, and have now incurred their wrath from the sounds of that letter.

If push comes to shove and you are prohibited from instructing from your home airport any further, is there another private or public airfield nearby you can work out of, while flying from your current hangar to that field to meet your student? Or, you could fly your students there from your field, but start instructing after arriving there.
          Last edited by Kevin_Richey; 08-28-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Come to Havre, Montana. We could use a good CFI and/or a A&P with IA.

Comment

Brent....

Is anyone else based at your airport doing any other kind of training (airplane / helicopter) ? If so, then the airport 'management' is discriminating only because of gyro training. Hopefully, you have documented everything. If they deem you a risk of some kind, make them prove how you are doing anything riskier than anyone else.

I agree with other comments here...call the FAA and AOPA and ask for their help. A side note, and only my opinion...but, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing the PRA needs to step up and go to battle for you.

Steve

Comment

Sorry to hear about your predicament, Brent.

Something my parents never taught me, so I also had to learn it at HKU, "Never get on the bad side of small-minded people who have positions with a little authority." I got my lesson at the 'education industry'.
                Regards

Frank

Comment

Working...
                X