Annual Inspection of Gyroplanes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Inspection of Gyroplanes

I'm new to the sport of flying gyroplanes in the Los Angeles area and I'm looking for someone to perform an annual maintenance inspection on my Sport Copter Vortex. I did not build the gyroplane myself; so, my understanding is that I need an Airframe and Power mechanic with an Inspection Authorization to perform this work.

Any recommendations and ballpark costs?

In my opinion they don't need inspection authority Jim; they just need to be an airframe and power plant mechanic.

I have seen a wind range of prices and a wide range of work.

In my opinion appendix D of part 43 spells out the scope and detail of an annual condition inspection even for an experimental aircraft.

I seldom get out for less than $1,000 for a condition inspection on The Predator and it was typically $1,500 on the Cavalon.

I have seen as low as $400.
    Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Jim ...... one of the cool aspects of the ROTR event is that they have a willing resource (Jim Gillespie...ifIRC) who does reasonable & thorough YEARLY CONDITION INSPECTIONS ...as they are called for experimentals ! ...at the event! ... of course this is no help to you this year .... as that event is long gone!

If the original builder of your gyro is willing or able ... to do the inspection ... otherwise some qualify A&P with familiarity of gyro systems is the option!

Hope to see you at ElMirage...????
      Chris T.
      3Rs - Rotors rock & rule!

"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape." Buck B.

Time flies if you can but only the slowest.

PRA# 4212
      EAA# 1126845
      AOPA#08888697

Comment

Thanks for your prompt and informative response, Vance!

It's always fun to have a reason to read the FARs and try to obtain a clear understanding. Appendix D of Part 43 does offer clear explanation of specific parts ("where applicable") of aircraft to be inspected during an annual inspection. What I find troubling is Section 43.1, (b), (1) which states: 'Part 43 does NOT apply to any aircraft with an experimental certificate'. Curiously, when I looked up the word 'experimental' in the FAR appendix, it lists only 3 pages none of which provide insight into the annual inspection requirements for experimental aircraft.

I plan to contact the Van Nuys Flight Standards District Office after the holiday to see what their understanding is on this subject.

I appreciate your assistance, Vance! Your reply to my has given me the necessary motivation to dig a little deeper. I'll share the FSDO opinion on this subject in a future post.

Comment

Jim, it is my understanding that you need a conditional inspection for experimental aircraft. Take a look at this EAA link:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...ion-inspection

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Thurow View Post
            Thanks for your prompt and informative response, Vance!

It's always fun to have a reason to read the FARs and try to obtain a clear understanding. Appendix D of Part 43 does offer clear explanation of specific parts ("where applicable") of aircraft to be inspected during an annual inspection. What I find troubling is Section 43.1, (b), (1) which states: 'Part 43 does NOT apply to any aircraft with an experimental certificate'. Curiously, when I looked up the word 'experimental' in the FAR appendix, it lists only 3 pages none of which provide insight into the annual inspection requirements for experimental aircraft.

I plan to contact the Van Nuys Flight Standards District Office after the holiday to see what their understanding is on this subject.

I appreciate your assistance, Vance! Your reply to my has given me the necessary motivation to dig a little deeper. I'll share the FSDO opinion on this subject in a future post.
            Your welcome Jim.

It may be that your FSDO is Riverside rather than Van Nuys.

I feel that an annual condition inspection has value.

Several times we have found things that could have been a problem when airborne of The Predator and would have been a problem if not addressed.

Your local EAA chapter may have a line on someone who is comfortable with experimentals. They put their career on the line when they sign off the aircraft as airworthy and there is a lot more experience and documentation available for certified aircraft as compared to experimentals.

Because I am instructing in The Predator I have hundred hour inspections in addition to the annual condition inspection and I am in the middle of that now. It is 97 degrees at SMX now and hangar 3031 Juliet is not a comfortable place to be. I am having trouble keeping the sweat out of my eyes.

Ed went to a pool party at her sister's.
            Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Jim although the certification rules do not apply to an experimental aircraft, each experimental aircraft is issued a set of operating limitations.

This limitations specify how the aircraft is to be operated and maintained. Depending on when the operating limitations for four aircraft were issued, around item 22 should read something like

(22) No person must operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection performed in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, or other FAA-approved programs, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. As part of the condition inspection, cockpit instruments must be appropriately marked and needed placards installed in accordance with 91.9. In addition, system-essential controls must be in good condition, securely mounted, clearly marked, and provide for ease of operation. This inspection will be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records.
              PRA member 41204
              PRA Chapter 16

Comment

Working...
              X