Hawaii accident

landman

Aircraft
Barnett J4B
Total Flight Time
I do not have any details but Norm crash landed his Air Command in Hilo Hawaii. I understand he is concious in the hospital in Honolulu.

Martin Oliver

Martin, thank you for the report. Norm who? I wasn't able to find a Norm in Hilo.

Thank you. Vance

Some more details here. The pilot is 71, so it's not the same Norm.
http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=8835

also found this (Hawaii tribune)

Man crashes Gyroplane in Hilo

A 71-year-old Puna man suffered serious injuries Tuesday afternoon when his experimental plane crashed near Hilo International Airport.

The man experienced mechanical problems with his home-built gyroplane -- a two-bladed helicopter -- around 3:15 p.m. He had been in flight for less than 10 minutes.

The Fire Department said passersby heard a bang and a thump that sounded like a motor vehicle accident.

Witnesses did not see the craft go down, but they heard the pilot moaning in some bushes and made their way to him in the bushes, about 15 feet from the edge of the roadway.

The man was found conscious and complaining of pain to his right arm and face.

An ambulance took him to Hilo Medical Center, where he was treated. The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash. The aircraft is being stored in a Civil Air Patrol Hangar.

Last edited:
Hello Martin.

Thank you for the info.
Glad hes not hurt bad.
Mechanical problem. Could be the engine.

Please keep us posted on any new findings.

Best wishes.
Rehan

NTSB Identification: LAX06LA236
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, July 18, 2006 in Hilo, HI
Aircraft: Hammack Air Command Elite, registration: N6111A
Injuries: 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On July 18, 2006, at 1505 Hawaiian standard time, an amateur-built Hammack Air Command Elite gyrocopter, N6111A, collided with terrain after the pilot experienced a loss of control near Hilo Municipal Airport, Hilo, Hawaii. The pilot/owner was operating the gyrocopter under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The commercial pilot, the sole occupant, was seriously injured; the gyrocopter sustained substantial damage. The personal local flight departed from Hilo about 10 minutes prior to the mishap. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan had not been filed.

During a telephone interview with a National Transportation Safety Board investigator, the pilot stated that he departed runway 03. He continued toward the coastline and planned to return back to the airport to perform touch-and-go practice takeoffs and landings. While making a right turn (toward the east), with the gyrocopter about 50 feet above ground level (agl), he experienced a loss of control. The aircraft collided with terrain about 15 feet from the main road Kalanianaole, located north of the airport.

The pilot further stated that he believed a pushrod had separated in the gyrocopter's controls. He added that he constructed and regularly maintains N6111A. He has amassed about 65 flight hours in the gyrocopter over the duration of 2 to 3 years.

No Title

To make the story short, I'm a proud owner of an MTO Sport with 914 rotax;
Short Story, I was Having Issues with Power During Run Up, Enclosed you will find the culprit and the cause of the issue, this is a silent problem often confused with a bad fuel filter or the sync of the carburetors. I Recommend to everyone who owns a 914 to perform a detail inspection of their wastegate servo motor.
I was ready to fly with the wife and my kids on that weekend, over large legs of water in Hawaii, always stop and investigate and inspect every inch of your aircraft
not only what is on the checklist. always go beyond the normal inspection.
:painkiller:the Issue here was caused by condensation, what you see on the Pictures is not Mud or Muck, is actually the Melted Grease from the Gearbox after the servo Motor Failed. (this is a part used by rotax is actually a Motorcycle part)

After doing much research of the issue, I found out 100s of post about failures of the turbo servo, causing the engine to act up during flight or on the ground
these issues were reported by fixed wing pilots who owned the Rotax 914 engine.

Attachments

• photo130824.jpg
    photo130824.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo130823.jpg
    photo130823.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
First of all, why did you tack this post onto a 2006 thread 12 years later?

Regarding the pictures, the muck looks like dirt, oil, water. How did all that get inside the servo motor? Please post what fuel and oil you are running.

Well This did not happen 13 Years ago, Just wanted to share with everyone who owns a 914 Rotax to always look for the unseen, to know your aircraft and to always verify everything prior to embarking on any flight. Specially for me over long distance above water with no place to land.

feel free to start a new thread - your valuable info gets lost when its tacked onto a crash thread from 12 years ago

I have an MTO on the way with a 914 so I went to the Rotax forum but I couldn't find "hundreds" of failures. Please share some links. I want to be up on this when I start flying mine.