No announcement yet.

Dubai - WAG - Gyro down 9.12.15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes. It's more true now than when I got started in gyros in the 1970's that there's a "consumer aesthetics" element.

Many of us, back in the day, were actually attracted by the uncompromisingly functional appearance of the Bensen. The Dom continues that tradition. But some buyers want a flying sports car.

I don't object to that UNLESS safety is sacrificed for the "low slung" aesthetics. That's a bargain with the devil.

Comment

• devils's car

Comment

• Madness.

Comment

• Suicide waiting to happen?
          Alex Lameko
          Russian gyroforum
          Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

• Originally posted by jm-urbani View Post
            devils's car
            The D registration is for Germany, not Devil, right? :)
            I think that thing needs its very own discussion thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by twistair View Post
              Suicide waiting to happen?
              your remark reminds me a really lethal mixed gas diving re-breather some divers where using back in the 90's, it had been given a nice Nick name : DEAD ! Diver's Euthanasia Assistance Device...

in spite of all our attempts to inform them divers where sort of hypnotized by this machine... and they would continue to buy some more DEAD ... it caused maybe 50 casualties, and the story told by the maker's was always the same ... it's the diver fault , it's the diver fault ...

Comment

• Iím in shock looking at that thing. With all the data freely available and knowledge just a mouse click away, I canít believe that gyro even exists. The hangar photo is recent but Iím really hoping the runway shot is old and the owner came to his senses. There are better ways to kill oneself.

Comment

• My guess is that the designer(s) of this apparatus didnít understand that rotor drag exists only as a component of the rotor thrust vector but instead believed that rotor drag was something like parasitic drag of the fuselage, existing whether there was rotor thrust or not.
                  Therefore, propeller thrust must be applied at the balance point between rotor drag and fuselage drag.
                  What I find even more disturbing is that someone issued a permit for this thing to fly .

Comment

• Does the large horizontal stabilizer help?
                    Bobby Munroe
                    Private Pilot (SEL)
                    PRA Chapter 62 #42748
                    EAA #1160523

Comment

• Originally posted by AirCommandPilot View Post
                      Does the large horizontal stabilizer help?
                      It depends on what you mean by help Bobby.

At low speed even a horizontal stabilizer with a lot of volume canít do much when rotor thrust is lost with a thrust line so high above the center of gravity.

From the picture the horizontal stabilizer appears to have a significant nose down attitude.

I have learned not to imagine I can tell the thrust line offset is by looking at a picture. This aircraft does appear to take the thrust line offset to new heights.

On the other hand a Magni has a very high thrust line in relation to the center of gravity and it has one of the best accident rates out there.
                      Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

• I am waiting for the test pilot to try to get in zero g full throttle to get sure the HS is large enough ....

Comment

• Originally posted by jm-urbani View Post
                          I am waiting for the test pilot to try to get in zero g full throttle to get sure the HS is large enough ....
                          But zero G full throttle should be avoided by any gyro.
                          Bobby Munroe
                          Private Pilot (SEL)
                          PRA Chapter 62 #42748
                          EAA #1160523

Comment

• Originally posted by Vance View Post
                            On the other hand a Magni has a very high thrust line in relation to the center of gravity and it has one of the best accident rates out there.
                            That's why I asked. The Magni M24 has a thrustline through the back of your head, yet I don't see anyone talking about how bad it flys. Don't get me wrong, I think the gyro above is hideously ugly, but the comments about it's stability "might" not be warranted.
                            Bobby Munroe
                            Private Pilot (SEL)
                            PRA Chapter 62 #42748
                            EAA #1160523

Comment

• Originally posted by C. Beaty View Post
                              The angle of attack stability of the Magni results from the over balanced (nose heavy) rotor blades. An upward gust causes the rotor to pitch in a nose down direction, keeping the machine headed into the relative wind.

The downside of an over balanced rotor is a heavy stick.

Comment

• Originally posted by AirCommandPilot View Post

But zero G full throttle should be avoided by any gyro.
                                some are more resistant then others, it was ironical of course

Comment

Working...
                                X