Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubai - WAG - Gyro down 9.12.15

News report says
    Last edited by Steve_UK; 01-08-2016, 03:01 AM.

It was a Dutch competitor flying the pylon course as part of the WAG. It is not yet clear what happened but whatever it was caused a total loss of control. The accident was widely seen and videoed. The gyroplane (MTO) hit the water vertically at high speed. The pilot was underwater for some time before rescue. He survived the accident but his current condition is not known.

Comment

Hi Will - thank you for the update.

Let's hope he recovers from this sport accident.

Comment

Very Sad.

I find it sad how quickly we can go from having a lot of fun to not.

The pylon race does not seem to me to be close to the edge of the MTO Sportís flight envelope.

I hope we will learn more about what happened and why.
        Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Also was there and saw the gyro going in, as well as the ensuing rescue. All I can say is that if he survived then he was incredibly lucky. Let's hope he does.

Comment

Another perspective:
            http://www.arabianbusiness.com/gyroc...ai-614902.html

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
              The pylon race does not seem to me to be close to the edge of the MTO Sportís flight envelope.
              That all depends upon how one chooses to fly it!

Comment

Like NOE training some things are done better in an OH 6

Comment

Originally posted by WaspAir View Post
                  That all depends upon how one chooses to fly it!
                  Are the AutoGyro machines with the revised rotors still limited in allowable bank angles?
                  Paul W. Plack
                  Private ASEL, SP Gyroplane
                  Secretary, URA & PRA2
                  Editor, Western Rotorcraft

Comment

Originally posted by PW_Plack View Post
                    Are the AutoGyro machines with the revised rotors still limited in allowable bank angles?
                    Aerobatic flight is prohibited under limitations in the MTO Sport POH and AutoGyro consider anything over sixty degrees of bank aerobatic flight.

Comment

That is why it is held out of states.He cant be sued in that place.Roy bring home the gold butt just coming home is better.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveGyro View Post
                        That is why it is held out of states.He cant be sued in that place.Roy bring home the gold butt just coming home is better.
                        Wrong, It depends on the registry of the air craft not where it's operated

If it's manufactured in country of and registered of said country that's countries regulations prevail .

US registered = manufactures limitations as issued by FAA.
                        Europe registered = same as above - as issued by CAA
                        Any other country = same as above - as issued by their authority..

Like the Jap zero registered as a US experimental operated in Japan'
                        Maintained and operated in it's limitations as a US aircraft -
                        Japan had no jurisdiction.

Comment

Wrong, It depends on the registry of the air craft not where it's operated
                          With respect to its airworthiness you are correct. However, when I fly my gyro in Hungary, Austrian aurthorities do not have jursidiction over anything I do while flying the gyro over Hungarian state territory. Same goes for Dubai.

Now, the question of insurance is a different one again. But probably they have separate insurance covering these things at the WAG.

-- Chris.
                          Read about my trip across the USA in an MT03 gyro here.

Comment

Meanwhile.....................an update
                            Last edited by Steve_UK; 01-08-2016, 03:01 AM.

Comment

The rest of the competition for the Gyros was canceled due to the Crash. just announced Roy Davis came in 3rd for the bronze. Congrats Roy!

Comment

Working...
                              X