No announcement yet.

TAG crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the stress-testing done in a fatigue tester, or did it use steady-state loading? In either case, were all the loads considered? Things like the torsional loading of prerotation, possible hard flapping loads from poor takeoff technique and 2/rev loads attributable to the semi-rigid rotor?

Titanium, thankfully, has a more or less fixed endurance (fatigue) limit, as does steel. But this limit is roughly half of its one-time strength A part that passes a steady-load test can break at lower loads if they take the form of vibrations.

Compare the typical bolted Erector-set-style folding or two-piece masts on amateur-designed gyros with the curvaceous, tapered and bonded "strap packs" on professionally-designed helo rotorblades. The latter are configured to avoid the stress concentrations that simply are inherent in lap joints held together with big bolts through drilled holes.

Comment

Some don't like me because I was born somewhere else and because my born religion is something that some have problem with.
      What does that have to do with a gyro's design, engineering, or materials?

If somebody produces a gyro kit and publicly pontificates about gyro flying, I expect them to be a rated gyro pilot who does not diss the license as a mere "
      piece of paper", that's all.
      Call me old-fashioned. (Somebody else called Abid out on this in the forum a few years back. I was very surprised to learn of it last year, for I had presumed he was a gyro pilot.)

Compare the typical bolted Erector-set-style folding or two-piece masts on amateur-designed gyros with the curvaceous, tapered and bonded "strap packs" on professionally-designed helo rotorblades. The latter are configured to avoid the stress concentrations that simply are inherent in lap joints held together with big bolts through drilled holes.
      "Erector-set" -- what an apt metaphor, Doug.
      I can't imagine what TAG thought they were doing with those strap bolt holes.

Regards,
      Kolibri

PP - ASEL complex (C172RG, Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, SC2), soloed in gliders

"
      When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

Some don't like me because I was born somewhere else and because my born religion is something that some have problem with.
        What does that have to do with a gyro's design, engineering, or materials?

If somebody produces a gyro kit and publicly pontificates about gyro flying, I expect them to be a rated gyro pilot who does not diss the license as a mere "
        Call me old-fashioned. (Somebody else called Abid out on this in the forum a few years back. I was very surprised to learn of it last year, for I had presumed he was a gyro pilot.)

Regards,
        Kolibri
        PP - ASEL complex (C172RG, Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, SC2), soloed in gliders

"
        When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

fara, what does that have to do with a gyro's design, engineering, or materials?

Call me old-fashioned.

(Somebody else called you out on this in the forum a few years back. I was very surprised to learn of it last year, for I had naturally presumed you were a gyro pilot.)

Regards,
          Kolibri

"

Comment

Originally posted by Kolibri View Post
            fara, what does that have to do with a gyro's design, engineering, or materials?
            Regards,
            Kolibri
            Again you think everything I say on every post is about you.
            Also, since you still didn't get my memo. I used your name for you to see what I think. Here it is again. Watch it
            https://youtu.be/76jARSWqcdM

Comment

I don't think that, but you replied to EdL's post in which he had quoted me, so....
              Conversely, my posts in this thread (preceding yours) were not about you or your machine.
              Can we move on and get back to the subject here? Thanks. Kolibri

"

Comment

https://youtu.be/3roE9J-qP7Y
                Eric Hoskinson
                Rotor Ute
                Australia

Comment

I quickly went through this thread so if this was mentioned then sorry to repeat it.

There were witnesses that said there was a very loud explosion followed by the gyro plummeting to the ground. The rotors were found 100s feet from the gyro so it seems pretty clear the rotor separated in flight. Also this was the second time this happened with this model gyro. The first time was several months before that also resulted in a fatality. Following the first accident an AD was issued that grounded this model until an engineering fix for the mast was completed.

At the time of this accident the gyro was still subject to the AD was not legally allowed to be flown.

I just cant work out why someone would fly a machine that has known fatal defect that has not been rectified, and take his 18 year old son along as well. I cant believe that he didn't know, I am sure the manufacture would have issued an alert.

Jordan

Comment

Working...
                  X