Good and Bad News from the NTSB!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
I regularly read the NTSB reports looking for stories to share with my clients to help prevent them from becoming an NTSB report.

The bad news is there have been 20 gyroplane accidents in the last 12 months that have been reported to the NTSB.

It is hard to have a reportable accident in a modern gyroplane for less than about $15,000 and most are much higher.

This high accident count with so few gyroplanes flying is bound to have a negative impact on gyroplane insurance costs.

In my opinion all but one of these accidents are simple pilot error.

It is understandable because many of these pilots are new to gyroplanes as flying gyroplanes becomes more popular.

Please don’t hurry your training and don’t solo till both you and your flight instructor feel you are ready.

Try to learn every time you fly and strive to fly with more control.

It wouldn’t hurt to visit you flight instructor for a flight review before two years particularly if you have not flown for a while.

The good news is there was only one fatal accident even though it is not hard to end up dead in even a minor gyroplane accident.

If you want to learn more go to https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx

Put in a date range and under category put in gyroplane.

It sometimes takes quite a while to get a final report and there is generally much more useful information in the final report so don’t be afraid to go back several years to find more complete reports.

People have been using the same techniques to destroy gyroplanes for the last 30 years so there is a lot to learn.

Gyroplanes are not a high priority for the NTSB so be aware that they may reach an unlikely probably cause and you will get the most out of your time with the report by imagine the flight step by step.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread

The title reads ....

Good and Bad News from the NTSB!​

For many years I bookmarked hundreds of accident documents for our safety training
Some sleep-at-the-wheel government computer geek decided to change the archives and none of those links work any more.
I also liked the easily searchable features of the original website
Now I find it frustrating and not so easy

In my opinion sometimes the NTSB itself can be bad news.

There ... I said it !!!!

And some pilots say discussions about politics and government should not be allowed here !!!!

I too am frustrated by the change in the web page.

It appears to me there is nothing political about it.

Hopefully they will change it back.