AG-1 - N141C - Virginia - power lines - 6th May 2018

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
The FAA ASIAS report states "AIRCRAFT STRUCK A POWER LINE AND CRASHED ONTO A ROAD, SMITH BEACH VA"

News reports shows the gyro on its side on a small road - unclear on any injuries to the pilot

No injuries surprisingly. He is fine at home.

Sounds like it started with an engine out Abid. Any info on that?

Nothing to do with the machine. No engine issues or anything.
I'd rather let the pilot fill in what happened if they want to as they are on the forum and respect their privacy but rest assured no mechanical or engine anomaly had anything to do with it

Abid is correct......machine had no mechanical issues. Actually is a testament to how well the AR-1 is built.
Thoughts are with Barry and family. Tough guy!!

Barry's gyro is an AG-1. AR-1 was based on it but there are many changes including frame and geometry. AG-1 is indeed a well built machine and does protect the occupant well usually. Barry is very lucky to have hardly a couple of bruises and just literally walk away. Amazing.

Good that he was wearing a helmet. He can rebuild with AR-1 now. Sid’s color scheme looked nice.

Virginia State Police say the Gyro Copter clipped a power line, which wrapped up in its propeller. It fell approximately 226 feet before hitting the ground.

All_In;n1133394 said:
Virginia State Police say the Gyro Copter clipped a power line, which wrapped up in its propeller. It fell approximately 226 feet before hitting the ground.

I guess keep those rotors turning. A vertical descent is like coming down in a BRS parachute

Actually I think it is slower. I seem to see 700 fpm when descending vertically which is 8 mph but a Cirrus under a chute is said to descend at 15 mph.

CGameProgrammer;n1133399 said:
Actually I think it is slower. I seem to see 700 fpm when descending vertically which is 8 mph but a Cirrus under a chute is said to descend at 15 mph.

Is the Cirrus descent speed right Ed. Good to know.

You can see the wires in the google image of the road and it looks like a runway. Wires went across where normally numbers would be on a runway. I think the only way to tell is look for poles too. I bet the wires slowed the gyro before hitting the ground.

Update - Preliminary from NTSB -

On May 6, 2018, about 1510 eastern daylight time, an experimental, amateur-built Apollo AG-1 gyroplane, N141C, was substantially damaged when it collided with power lines during a precautionary landing near Smith Beach, Virginia. The private pilot sustained minor injuries. The gyroplane was operated by the private pilot as personal flight conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the flight that departed Halifax-Northampton Regional Airport (IXA), Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, about 1330. The flight was destined to Accomack County Airport (MFV), Melfa, Virginia.

The pilot reported that he started to fly across the Chesapeake Bay to the Cape Charles VOR at 1,300 ft above ground level. As he approached the shoreline at the Cape Charles VOR, he turned north toward MFV. At that time, the cloud ceiling began to lower very rapidly, so he made the decision to land at a private airstrip prior to MFV. He mistook a road for the private airstrip and the gyroplane collided with power lines during the attempted landing. The pilot added that there were no preimpact mechanical malfunctions with the gyroplane.

Examination of the wreckage by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that it was intact and resting on its right side on a road. The inspector noted that the fuselage sustained substantial damage. He did not observe any anomalies with the flight controls and was able to successfully test-run the engine on the airframe.

The recorded weather at MVF, at 1515, was: wind from 170° at 4 knots; visibility 1 3/4 miles in mist; overcast ceiling at 500 ft; temperature 18° C; dew point 17° C; altimeter 29.85 inches of mercury. The pilot also reported that utilized weather equipment onboard his gyroplane, but did not receive a weather briefing from flight service.

Flying in IMC and being forced to land in a hurry .... not a good idea. So very lucky!! The power line missed Barry's face by inches because it got deflected and slipped up by the lexan windshield, touched the top of his helmet and electrocuted him. He passed out. There was no pilot in control from that point as the gyro was coming down, nose down/first.

We should all learn from this. No amount of stability, forgiving characteristics of an aircraft can solve our own bad decision making, GetThereItis and our own lack of due diligence. Fly safely and keep Darwin away.

Last edited:
Fog can also form unexpectedly along the coast with the right conditions even after being sunny in the morning. Watch the dew point and forecasted temperature changes. I had fog form all around me once flying down the coast of Maine one afternoon last summer after beautiful sunny morning. Oddest weather event I have encountered. It cleared up just as fast.

"The recorded weather at MVF, at 1515, was: wind from 170° at 4 knots; visibility 1 3/4 miles in mist; overcast ceiling at 500 ft; temperature 18° C; dew point 17° C; altimeter 29.85 inches of mercury. The pilot also reported that utilized weather equipment onboard his gyroplane, but did not receive a weather briefing from flight service."

For me; an important part of flying is planning. I feel an important part of planning is calling Flight Service (1800-WX-BRIEF) and getting a standard VFR weather briefing for the route of flight.

I don't take off with less than a four degree C temperature/dew point spread because fog may form with a slight temperature change. I wouldn't fly the pattern with a one degree temperature/dew point spread.

MVF was well below VFR minimums and I would have checked that before takeoff.

I don’t know of any onboard weather equipment that can predict fog or low ceilings between weather stations.

Last edited:
DavePA11;n1135164 said:
Fog can also form unexpectedly along the coast with the right conditions even after being sunny in the morning. Watch the dew point and forecasted temperature changes. I had fog form all around me once flying down the coast of Maine one afternoon last summer after beautiful sunny morning. Oddest weather event I have encountered. It cleared up just as fast.

I guess I am Chicken Dave. Barry saw the ceilings closing in from 15 miles away (over the water crossing a 30 mile bay). If I saw that at mid point, I would have simply turned around and went back to where I came from where I knew the airport and knew it was clear. In fact I have done that multiple times on cross countries (though not over 30 mile bodies of water admittedly, I would have tried to fly another route on the west side). In this event, I only have hindsight but I am sure my decision would be to turn around. And there is no way in hell, I was going to fly a leg over a 30 mile body of water without getting a briefing just before leaving. That's for sure. Barry knows better than this also. I know because he initially learned all of this from me. He just screwed up.

Last edited:
I use weather briefing too for cross country flights. The point I was trying to make is watch the dew point spread especially along coast in Maine if weather coming from inland. I don’t have atitude indicator in my Cub or gyro so I don’t risk it. I got caught in this weather along with 10 other planes in the area and it wasn’t forecasted. Different situation from Barry’s.

Good news for Barry new AR-1 N424M serial 037 registered to him earlier this week.