ELA 07 - Accident report - welding

Vance;n1138018 said:
In my opinion reduced rotor thrust is what begins most power pushovers in high thrust line gyroplanes brought on by a low g event or severe wind shear.

In my opinion the correct pilot response is to reduce power quickly.
When Vance says; “in my opinion, water flows downhill,” he’s demonstrating that he’s a devoted disciple of Friedrich Nietzsche, the German philosopher who declared; “there are no facts, only interpretations”.

Or our man Vance may have become cautious after encountering some of my barrister brethren, who gleefully will argue that maybe the sun rises in the west. "In your OPINION, sir, the sun rose in the east on the day in question. There is not a scintilla of evidence in the record to establish this assertion. You are assuming a fact not in evidence!"

"In my opinion" is one way to short-circuit such nonsense, and thereby keep the discussion moving.

Of course, Vance's Post #80 is spot-on. You only hope you can reduce power fast enough. If you're successful, you'll then find yourself wallowing along at 25 mph, behind the power curve, wondering if you dare increase power and move the stick forward to regain cruise speed -- or if that will cause another near-PPO. It gets frustrating after awhile, especially if you actually want to go somewhere. This is supposed to be fun?? (I sure got sick of it, back in the day. I was relieved to learn that the HTL instability problem could be fixed.)

You only hope you can reduce power fast enough.
Right, and that was my whole point about an ELA tail loss being dramatic enough to fatally delay a pilot's correction.
In my opinion . . .

C. Beaty;n1138049 said:
When Vance says; “in my opinion, water flows downhill,” he’s demonstrating that he’s a devoted disciple of Friedrich Nietzsche, the German philosopher who declared; “there are no facts, only interpretations”.

My mother and uncle taught me it is bad form to state things as fact without providing references.

If I don't want to take the time to explain the source of my opinion I simply write; "in my opinion".

I don't doubt that some of Friedrich Nietzsche's perspective has seeped into my life. I feel my philosophical perspective is broad based and a combination of what I have read, what I have heard and what I have experienced.

I have been fortunate with the people who have populated my life and how they expanded my perspective.

Last edited:
Kolibri;n1138063 said:
Right, and that was my whole point about an ELA tail loss being dramatic enough to fatally delay a pilot's correction.
In my opinion . . .

In my opinion losing an empennage is not likely to initiate a power push over.

C. Beaty;n1137881 said:
The rotorcraft manual was written by a Jeppesen tech writer, Dan Mowrey. Dan was conscientious but I doubt if he’d ever previously seen a gyro; however, he reached out to the gyro community for assistance and Dr. Bill Clem, a Dominator pilot who lived nearby, responded by almost camping out in Dan’s office during the manual’s preparation.

Jeppesen’s mandate from the FAA was “don’t offend anyone” which caused them not to address incorrect thrustlines.

I participated in several conference calls with Dan and others but thrustline was a taboo subject as a result of RAF Canada’s input.

That's a pretty interesting nugget of contextual history. Thank you for that.