Cavalon N721E - Texas

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
The FAA Preliminary tells us

"AIRCRAFT STRUCK TREES AND FLIPPED ONTO ITS SIDE, NEAR WEATHERFORD, TX"

The accident happened on 27-5-17 - Injuries unknown

The Cavalon was newly registered in November 2016.

Ouch. Expensive mistake. Glad they were not very seriously hurt.

I was flying a Titanium gyro in Justin about 40 miles north of the accident the same day this happened. I flew mid afternoon it was hot and humid felt like 107 but the temp was 97. This can have an effect for sure on the way gyros perform. Maybe got caught in density altitude issue close to the powercurve? Two people in hot conditions in a Cavalon just not good performance. The elevation is about 600-700 ft.

IT was A hot and humid , I heard the occupants were not small plus fuel,
. but only bumps and bruises.

Your NTSB has published the final report - CFIT trees getting bigger

The summary reads

The pilot of the gyrocopter reported that, after flying over his passenger's house to take
pictures, he headed back to the airport. He added that, while in level flight, he noticed that "the
trees on the ground under [him were] rapidly getting closer." He initially presumed something
was wrong with the engine, so he reduced throttle and then successfully applied full throttle in
an attempt to troubleshoot the situation. He made a left 180° turn, and the gyrocopter struck
trees and impacted terrain.

The gyrocopter sustained substantial damage to the empennage.

The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical failures or malfunctions with the
gyrocopter that would have precluded normal operation.

The pilot reported that he had presumed the terrain he was flying over was flat but later
realized he had flown into rising terrain.

More details in the NTSB PDF