Auto-Gyro or Aviation Trendak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fara View Post
    No, its a converted 912 by them to 144 HP. Personally honestly I would not want that engine but that's my personal opinion. Too many of these above 125 HP conversions have had serious issues and the reasons are very simple. Rotax never designed the internal of this engine to handle more than 125 HP.

915 iS engine is not released yet by Rotax for production.
    Thanks Fara. The Taifun is not going to be released until August, so I was hoping it was the 915. I wonder if the aircraft can be ordered in the US with the 915, since it has to come as a kit anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by rdalcanto View Post
      Thanks Fara. The Taifun is not going to be released until August, so I was hoping it was the 915. I wonder if the aircraft can be ordered in the US with the 915, since it has to come as a kit anyway?
      My sincere advise to you would be to consider the engine as a critical sub-system and then think about what you would want in that critical sub-system. One of the things would surely be reliability. Now consider that even a company as experienced as Rotax in light engine development has to go through revisions. 912 iS engine is a perfect example. It was based on 912ULS of which there are over 40,000 units out there with 10's of thousands reaching TBO and it has had over 5000 documented and tracked updates and changes to it from start to now and even so, 912iS had to mature over the first 18 months of field experience and had at least 2 or 3 recalls.

My guess being that you are new to aviation. Apologize if this assumption is not correct. As such there will be a couple of things you will realize in time but soon. Aircraft are not and will never be like cars or car ownership. You will have to learn a bit about their systems and maintenance. You can find plenty of knowledge, posts and Rotax mechanics familiar with 914 UL but none with 915.
      Second, Taifun being a new model already has certain issues that are plenty and throwing in a change of engine of 915 on them is not wise. The first thing we do as designers is select the engine and then design the aircraft around it. This is the only way to get the right flight dynamics in a powered aircraft. Can another engine be put on. For sure but it will never fly optimally and handle optimally. The slightest engine thrust line change can make a difference in how the aircraft handles in flight and those things have to be accounted for. I cringe when people come to me and ask me if they can put a Viking engine conversion on AR-1. I always tell them, "they can" NOT "we can".
      Last edited by fara; 03-02-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I had a Xenon and absolutely loved it! Before that I had two RAF-2000's. I've had numerous other fixed wing aircraft and now mostly fly a Carbon Cub. I've flown Calidus, Cavalon, Magni, Snow Bird, Sparrow Hawk. etc, etc. etc.. Each to their own but I prefer side x side hands down. Like having my passenger beside me much better than behind me. Much more personal in my opinion.

I can't believe I've managed to not own a Gyro for the past few years. I'm confident one of these days I'll simply post a hey ya'll I'm back post with a picture of a new Gyro. What would it be? Can't say positively it won't be a Tandem. With the high caliber people from AutoGyro, Chris Lord and many others the concerns of being orphaned is no longer a fear. There are some really nice Tandem gyros out there. I don't think I would consider a Cavalon but would not totally exclude it. After all it's been a year or so since I've flown one. If Xenon's/Trendak had good US support I would've owned another one long ago. US support, or lack of, will be a major factor in my decision. The only thing I know for sure is I won't buy a Gyro without a strong reputable US presence.
        David Morris
        Somerset, Ky.
        Current Aircraft 2015 Carbon Cub
        Former Aircraft
        2013 Carbon Cub
        Blue Xenon N915DM 2009 & 2010 Grand Champion
        2 RAF-2000's
        A36 Bonanza
        Numerous Saratoga's
        david@modernsystemsinc.com

Comment

Wow guys! Thank you for the well thought out replies!
          With engine overhaul of 2,000 hours, I'm now leaning more towards buying a used Cavalon, flying it for a couple years, and then deciding on a new model when I have a better idea of what I want. The other advantage to that plan, is that the Rotax 915 will have a couple years under it's belt by then, and I can see what happens with the Taifun. Fortunately, I don't need to decide tonight. It will probably be months before I have my license, but you guys have given me a lot to think about.

(With regard to my choices, living in Utah, a closed cabin with heat is a must).

Comment

Did you end up buying one yet?

Comment

I got my Sport License, and then my Private. I decided to wait until there is a good model with the 915 engine, so I have not bought anything yet. Because you can't "rent" a gyro, I'm now working toward my Commercial rating, so I can keep flying with my flight school. I have hundreds of hours in Hang Gliders, so I'm going to get my Glider Add-on this Spring/Summer and fly sailplanes for now as well.

Comment

Now you will want to buy a sail plane. :-) Then you will want to buy a SuperCub...

Comment

A couple of thoughts:

1. Your school wants you to buy a AT because they are the dealer for them. They were no longer able to be the AG dealer since someone else already had the dealership in that area.

2. I am an A&P/IA/ Heavy Maintenance Rotax tech. I would advise you to avoid the after market Rotax mods. Many engine failures, and I have even had one myself.

3. There are many "great designs" in aviation that were never viable due to lack of support, etc. AG does a great job supporting a great product. I have well over 700 hours in my Calidus, most of it training, and it still looks and runs like a new machine. I have four fixed wing aircraft that are down more often than my Calidus. You will appreciate a proven design from a proven company.
                  Cammie Patch
                  CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP, A&P/IA
                  Rotax Heavy Maintenance Technician
                  AutoGyro Dealer/CFI
                  Glass Cockpit Aviation
                  cammie@glasscockpitaviation.com

Comment

I believe they are using this engine:

http://webshop.edgeperformance.no/index.php
                    https://www.facebook.com/edgeperformance.no/

welded crank, custum ECU, injection, turbo etc

Comment

I'd go for the Magni M24 if you must have a side by side enclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by dinoa View Post
                        I believe they are using this engine:

http://webshop.edgeperformance.no/index.php
                        https://www.facebook.com/edgeperformance.no/

welded crank, custum ECU, injection, turbo etc
                        No they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by wnwgj View Post
                          I'd go for the Magni M24 if you must have a side by side enclosed.
                          I have never flown a Magni, but looking at the design, there are two things that stand out that I don't particularly like. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the engine seems very high with a very high thrust line that makes me nervous. The tail is a very low straight piece of metal that I'm predicting would restrict how much you can raise the nose during the flare to slow down. With density altitude over 8,000 feet during the summer, not being able to hold off the landing by flaring more would seem to result in a faster landing than I would like in no wind conditions.

Comment

While I haven’t flown the M24, I have some time in the M16. The high thrust line has been addressed in other threads here. Based on my experience, it is not an issue as far as handling. Looks can also be deceptive as the Magni’s rotor is rather heavy compared to some other gyros. This makes for a little heavier stick forces, but in a cruiser, more cross country machine is very stable and handles high winds/ turbulence very well. The low tail is also not an issue as the heavier rotor retains more energy in a flare making for a gentle touchdown. I have flown a Calidus at high altitude and enjoyed it as well. Lots of good choices out there. As the fellow in the Gyroplane Experience video says, “Try one before you buy one”.

Comment

Magni M24 Orion now available with the new Rotax 915iS, might be an option - at Aero 2018 Fredrichshafen right now today

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_UK View Post
                                Magni M24 Orion now available with the new Rotax 915iS, might be an option - at Aero 2018 Fredrichshafen right now today
                                That engine requires an adjustable prop, so it can't be flown by sport pilots in the USA.
                                Cammie Patch
                                CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP, A&P/IA
                                Rotax Heavy Maintenance Technician
                                AutoGyro Dealer/CFI
                                Glass Cockpit Aviation
                                cammie@glasscockpitaviation.com

Comment

Working...
                                X