13 Months and finally done - almost

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
600 ish solo gyro and 190 ish two place
On December 26th 2008 we poured a foundation to a new hangar home. On January 21, 2009 my 59th birthday Laura and I received our certificate of occupancy. We still have some bits of work to do noticably landscaping but its good to be done.

For those who did'nt notice the other threads on this and who care heres what we did. We got a building lot on a small grass strip (FD92) community on the shore of Lake Harney Florida. The strip side has a 45ft X 14.5 ft hydraulic door with a wrap around porch built onto it. See the video here.

The home is built inside of a 50X60 steel building. The eves are 23 feet and the peak about 30. The hangar is 1500 square feet and open to the peak. The living quarters side faces lake harney. It is just under 2800 square feet.

Here are way more pics than you care to see. Some of these may have been sprinkled in other posts but I wanted to get them all in one place.

Here is the strip with our house from my gyro on approach. We were still under construction.

HangarFromtheAirandMiscPics006.jpg

This is the hangar side of the house
Frontofthehangarwithnewwindows.jpg

This is the right hand side of the hangar. The door goes into a workshop.

DSC_1029.jpg

We have some odd things flying around the hangar.

DSC_1043.jpg

More odd things (the Silver Surfer is the life size standee from the Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer on a 7 foot surf board)

DSC_0995.jpg

This is a small air conditioned shop if i need to get out of the heat to work on something.

DSC_1002.jpg

This is the toy box side of the hangar.

DSC_1031.jpg

The left door comes into the home the right into a hangar bathroom.

DSC_1033.jpg

The hangar bathroom.

DSC_0782.jpg

Continued on next post

Last edited:
More Hangar Home Pics

More Hangar Home Pics

Right side of Kitchen.

DSC_1006.jpg

Left side of Kitchen

DSC_1009.jpg

Dining Area

DSC_1070.jpg

Theater. The Theater is VERY DEEP MAROON and I just could not get a decent shot but this will give you the idea.

DSC_1047.jpg

Master Bedroom.

DSC_1063-1.jpg

From upstairs living room looking back at closet, wetbar, and guest bath.
DSC_1059.jpg

Residence Side Exterior
DSC_1034.jpg

View from upstairs living room deck.
DSC_1061-1.jpg

Were really happy to be able to have the opportunity and would love to share it with any traveling gyro-naut friends who happen to be traveling through our neck of the woods.

Awesome Joe!
I'd love to have my home on an airport!
I also love the bathroom treatment, looks good.

Nice job ! I absolutely LOVE it !

I hope you enjoy it to the fullest !

Hey Joe, you have the same refrig, that i do here at my home.

Nice looking hanger/home, I know you guy's will enjoy it.

Live Life To The Fullest.:whoo:

Joe- Looking great....you deserve it....

Stan

Looks great Joe and Laura!
Looks like Laura decorated the house, and you got to decorate the hangar. :)

Thanks guys. Not much decorating done yet we won't actually be moved in till May which we pronounce "after tax season". But its already a great weekend get away. Hope some of you will come enjoy it with us.

This time of the year is Wonderful flying in my area. Last weekend me and a friend in a trike flew from my house to a place called paw paw mound, about 17 or so miles and for half the trip we were under 20 feet and the other half under 100. Then we landed on the dry river bed, chatted with a few surprised air boaters then flew back.

That's exactly what my wife wants to do. She wants to build a metal house like that. Very nice!

Question though, it looks like the bifold door is actually the porch, do you have a picture of how the door opens up? I'm curious, I can't picture how the porch roof moves out of the way, or does it?

Don

Great work, Joe!

Ahh...to live on an airport again! I had a house on "Flying Ten" airfield in Newberry while my wife was at school at U of F. I really miss it. Color me jealous!

*JC*

That's exactly what my wife wants to do. She wants to build a metal house like that. Very nice!

Question though, it looks like the bifold door is actually the porch, do you have a picture of how the door opens up? I'm curious, I can't picture how the porch roof moves out of the way, or does it?

Don

See the video here.

whens the first Pires family fly-in? man that place looks great.

I have a buddy that is building his hanger now, I will e-mail him the link to this thread.I know he will love to see it.

great job. it really came out nice.

My dream is to someday build a arch style hanger and built an upstairs apartment,but in the center have a big opening so you can see the area below,but have windows all the way around so as to keep the heat in but opened in the summer like normal windows.

I dought I will ever be able to afford to do it. but that was my dreams.

anyway, your place is out standing ,what do the others around think of your hanger/home?

Question though, it looks like the bifold door is actually the porch, do you have a picture of how the door opens up?

Don
click on where it says HERE in his first post, and it will take you to a youtube video of the doors, trust me you will love it.

Truly awesome. There's nothing quite like having your toys living with you under the same roof. The only problem can be jealous neighbors. During my brief stay living at a hangar/home at our local fly-in community, I recieved a knock on the door from the president of the residents association who said that I wasn't welcome there with my gyro. When I made him aware that the subdivision bylaws didn't state anything about forbidding ultralights/gyros from using the runway, he begrudgingly acknowledged that I was correct. The next month I got a letter in the mail from the association to let me know that in an emergency meeting they held, (and didn't tell me about) they made the decision that any and all aircraft using the facility had to provide a copy of their insurance information and have at least $1,000,000 worth of liability insurance.
I moved out.