Ferry a Vortex M912 from Washington State to North Carolina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferry a Vortex M912 from Washington State to North Carolina

So the title says it all. I am considering purchasing a Sport Copter Vortex M912 that is currently in Washington State and would need an experienced pilot to ferry it to central North Carolina. I know there are people on the Forum who do this, although this would be a long haul. Any other ideas on how I could safely bring it over? Perhaps I would be better off to rent/borrow a trailer and go get it.

Russ: I spoke w/ a fellow in KC, MO, that paid a trucking firm about $1,200 to ship a Sport Copter Lightning gyro and rotorblade box from the east coast to his location, about 1K miles. Just rolled it onto the truck.

If this is the Spokane SC for sale, you'd be looking @ about 2,500 miles...

Comment

If trailered, I'd highly recommend an enclosed trailer instead of open flatbed. I speak from experience towing my SC around the west on an open trailer. Lots of dust, occasionally getting rained on, turns all that dust into sludge in all the nooks & crannies of the gyro. Not a way to treat that M-912 that is in such pristine of condition...

Comment

Russ: Are you buying the enclosed trailer/hangar from Larry also?

Comment

Yes, it is the Spokane SC. I talked to him about the enclosed hangar/trailer, but it is just as it appears, primarily a hangar. Good for 20 miles or so, and not very fast at that. I agree that bringing it back on an open trailer is a bad idea. I am thinking about flying out and driving it back in a rented truck. Will need to be a sizable truck due to the width of the wheelbase. Would need to figure out how to safely secure it in the truck without drilling holes in the floor to add attachent points, as well as devise a ramp I can make out there and bring back with me. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ

Comment

I realize I am a few weeks late on responding. You might try Monarchist on this forum. I know he loves to ferry gryoplanes. I'd guess its at least 3 solid days of flying.

Comment

I would recommend shipping it. I can provide shipping broker that can quote it. I was going to fly my SC back from Nebraska, but glad I didnít. Need to make sure everything is in correct shape for long cross country trip including radio, helmet, instruments, etc.

Comment

Yeah, I ended up hauling it back myself in a 26 ft. U-Haul truck. Was a long trip, 5 days of driving, but I got to see a beautiful part of the country. Some of our interstate roads are in deplorable condition! But both I and the Sport Copter arrived safe and sound in NC Friday evening. All in all, it was a fun trip home.

I also got to spend a week with Jim Vanek and his team in Scappoose OR, which was a remarkable experience in and of itself! I will write more about this in another post, but suffice it to say, they are all very friendly, helpful and professional, and everyone there went out of their way to assist me in every way they could.

Shout out to Sport Copter!

Russ

Comment

Russ,

Did you fly your Sportcopter yet? How do you like it?

Dave

Comment

How were you able to secure the gyro in the U-haul truck?

Cory

Comment

I can't imagine the costs involved with flying out there, renting a uhaul for 5 days and the gasoline bill for the uhaul... plus hotel and so on. But sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do
                      Thats what she said.

Comment

Hauling aircraft by freight is about $1 per mile based on my limited experience.

The trailers have wooden floors so I mounted E-Track rails to floor then strapped the gryo at each wheel to metal supports. ETracks are on the sides of the trailer so made a wall of straps in front and behind gyro., but the walls move so best to secure gyro mainly to floor. I also screwed in some wooden blocks around tires. Rotors and hub go into there own wooden boxes which are screwed to the floor. Pretty simple to secure.

I compared costs with rental truck vs freight service and they are about the same unless there are hidden costs to the rental ageeements. I didnít have the time to drive a rental truck so went freight with broker. Worked great. Not sure what Russ did for shipping.

Used a flat bed truck to load and unload the gyro into the trailer rather than making ramp.

Dave

Comment

When I purchased my Vortex, I had it shipped from Illinois to Arizona. Contacted a place called UShip.com on the web. Here various shippers will bid on your cargo. I seem to remember the cost as around $1000. The guy did a amazing job. The Gyro was in an inclosed truck with air ride suspension. Took very good care of my baby. Most of the bids came in within $100 of each other. The shippers email was salmeter@aol.com. Recommended

Davve

Comment

Working...
                          X