How Many Pilot Licenses?

RogerS

There has been questions asked at various times as to how many gyros there are in the United States. There was the old "State of the Nation thread" that reported on new gyro sales. My question is, if anyone knows how to find out how many gyro pilot's licenses there are in the United States. Several gyro CFI's that I have spoken with in the last year have all said that they are were seeing a number of students.. Can we tell how many NEW gyro pilot's licenses have been issued in the last few years?

Thanks Joe:
That is a really interesting read. There are far less Gyro certificate holders than I imagined.

Thanks guys. I had found this link also. Table 7 under this link breaks down the various rotorcraft stats. I can't believe there are only 44 people with a private gyro (11) or private airplane/gyro (33). Total commercial with all the various combinations equal 68? I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. Also no mention of sport pilot gyro. What am I missing?

Roger

Most of my clients are working toward a Sport Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane rating and I cannot find a table where that is broken out separately from other Sport Pilots.

Most already have a pilot certificate and I feel that may not be broken out.

Many gyroplane flight instructors are Sport Pilot only and they don’t need to have a private or commercial gyroplane rating.

My Pilot certificate reads Commercial Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane. I don’t have any other ratings.

RogerS;n1131706 said:
Thanks guys. I had found this link also. Table 7 under this link breaks down the various rotorcraft stats. I can't believe there are only 44 people with a private gyro (11) or private airplane/gyro (33). Total commercial with all the various combinations equal 68? I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. Also no mention of sport pilot gyro. What am I missing?

Roger

The FAA's 2017 numbers have 15 pvt gyro & 36 pvt gyro/airplane: total 51. But they don't show any pvt helicopter/gyro – can it really be zero?
All combinations of commercial gyro now add up to 84.
They show 2 recreational gyro certificates.
I think it's strange that they don't split out sport-only pilots at all, however. Sport pilot isn't even listed in their rotorcraft tab.

I good friend of mine has helio/gyro ratings

Tyger;n1133670 said:
The FAA's 2017 numbers have 15 pvt gyro & 36 pvt gyro/airplane: total 51. But they don't show any pvt helicopter/gyro – can it really be zero?
One of my clients is an Airline Transport pilot with a helicopter rating. He went on to get his Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane. Another is military Helicopter and went on to Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane rating. He may have already earned his Commercial Rotorcraft-Gyroplane.

In my opinion zero isn't likely.

Most of my clients are after or have received a Sport Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane Rating add-on to their Private Pilot. Most of them are Airplane, Single Engine Land.

It is my observation that most of the accidents that show up in the NTSB reports have some airplane rating with a Sport Pilot Rotorcraft-Gyroplane add-on. The final report shows ratings and experience.

I have private pilot airplane and private pilot rotor/gyroplane...is that weird? Ray

Rainman;n1133778 said:
I have private pilot airplane and private pilot rotor/gyroplane...is that weird? Ray

I guess it's a little weird, since you are one of only 36 people with both, according to the FAA. :)