Would you buy a Cavalon that had an "incident"?

rdalcanto

I earned my Sport License, and I'm looking to buy a side-by-side. The Auto Gyro dealer near me has a Cavalon with low hours that had a tip over. He said the tail is new, along with the blades and entire rotorhead. The scratches on the side of the cabin have been repaired and it looks new. Price is $35,000 less than a new one would cost (28% discount). I'm told the monocoque structure is fine. Would you trust it, and would you buy it?

I'm not a Cavalon expert, or even a novice. I think it can be fine, provided the folks that repaired/inspected it knew what they were doing. If I were in your shoes, the problem would be that I don't have enough knowledge about the Cavalon to tell f if it is ok. I certainly would be tempted to look at it, and maybe they can show you why it is ok. then go look at a few more. Also, a 28% discount seems a bit small for a machine with damage history. --What happens if you want to sell it next year after flying it 20 hours?

Ask if the welds were dye tested after the roll over and if the frame is still true to its original shape, it should be fine.

rdalcanto;n1125922 said:
I earned my Sport License, and I'm looking to buy a side-by-side. The Auto Gyro dealer near me has a Cavalon with low hours that had a tip over. He said the tail is new, along with the blades and entire rotorhead. The scratches on the side of the cabin have been repaired and it looks new. Price is $35,000 less than a new one would cost (28% discount). I'm told the monocoque structure is fine. Would you trust it, and would you buy it?

Congratulations on earning your Sport Pilot Certificate Richard!

Because the Cavalon is composite semi-monocoque construction it takes some close inspection particularly in the mast area and where the main gear is attached to the fuselage looking for signs of delamination.

I feel the metal bits are fairly easy to inspect.

In my opinion any flaws will show up quickly so if it has been test flown after repairs for even a few hours and re-inspected by a qualified mechanic I would be confident in its integrity.

Do they offer any warranty on the re-built almost new machine?

shootthrees;n1125959 said:
Ask if the welds were dye tested after the roll over and if the frame is still true to its original shape, it should be fine.

The Cavalon is a carbon fiber monocoque body with no welds. It's an incredibly strong and light structure. The only part with welds that I can think of is the top of the mast which I would guess was replaced and the engine mount.

Well, it turns out that they had two different Cavalons that had been tipped over. The one I thought we were talking about has already been sold. The second one needs a little more work, so I'm probably going to pass on it.