flitesim like gyro simulator for atc radio work

jeffwill

Hello,
I'm looking for a simulator to run on a home computer that will feel kind of like a gyro and allow one to hone radio work skills.

Wondering if perhaps there's an inexpensive way to get comfortable with the basics of talking to atc for class D and C airspace
these days. The idea is to have the aircraft control task present a similar workload to actually flying vfr and add radio setting changes
and such to the mix while getting comfortable with the initially mysterious common atc conversations required.

Kind of a long shot for usual gyro use, but that's where I live - long distance low and slow.

Thanks

I had a lot of trouble with radio communications early on because I made it too complicated.

You may find this helpful.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/....aspx?id=17272

To this day I use radio call sheets on my kneeboard with what I need to say and what they are likely to say with variables as a blank space. I have them laminated and write on them with a wet erase. I put an extra clip on my kneeboard so that they hold still in the open aircraft.

I have the airport diagram on the back.

Here is a sample for the San Luis Obispo Airport (SBP) a class D airport. Arriving is at the top, departing is at the bottom. Class B and C take an additional page.

SBP 212-1,212 T 124.0 G 121.6
ATIS 120.6 (805)547-1260
11/29 7/25 Altimeter ________________
Wind________ @__________ R__________
San Luis Obispo Tower Exp Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf
with info ______________
Inbound to land_________ miles to the________
at _____________ feet make ______________
traffic for ___________report___ __________
Altimeter_________ Wind________@______
Runway_________
San Luis Obispo, Exp Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf
at ________ with _________
Taxi to _________ Via _____________________
Mode C tower frequency
San Luis Obispo Tower Exp Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf
Holding short of runway ______________
Ready for departure, request _________________
To the ___________________________________
Make____________________________________

For people with no radio experience I recommend that they listen to live ATC for some class D airport and spend a lot of time with the Airman’s information Manuel (part of the FAR/AIM) as a source for standard phraseology. If you know what you might hear it helps to understand what they are trying to communicate and using the correct words back makes it easier for them. Never hesitate to use the phrase; “Say Again?” if you are unsure of the intent of the communication and getting the book of the same name may be helpful.

Last edited:
Don't let ATC scare you. We are friendly people.

Get your feet wet by flying up to Georgetown.
Give them a call about 5-10 miles out.
It looks like they mostly cater to corporate jets.
The Jets will mostly be straight-in to full stops, so the pattern will mostly be empty.
Be prepared to enter the pattern anywhere instructed without any specific navigational directions.
"...Continue inbound, Report Right Base for RWY 18."
Repeat ALL instruction back to them. "RODGER" is NOT an acceptable response!
Be prepared for the tower to extend or shorten your downwind legs to space you in.

Class D airspace can be easier than uncontrolled fields.
Uncontrolled fields are like a four-way stop intersection, YOU have to figure out who goes next.
Class D has a traffic cop that decides the priority for you. Just pay attention.
It is First-Come, First-Served. The Jets do not have priority over the smaller planes.
Do a touch and go and then depart the area. Try a couple if the locals are friendly.

Next time try a full stop and visit the GA FBO.
Buy some gas to make them happy.
Study the Airport layout before you fly.
Learn where taxiway A, B, etc are located beforehand.
It is surprisingly easy to get lost on the ground.
Expect to get lost . The Magic phrase to remember is, "...Requesting Progressive Taxi Instructions". (Memorize this phrase!)
They will guide you like a living GPS. "Turn Left at the next intersection and follow the Citation to the ramp".

After you get comfortable with the Class D world....
Position yourself 20 miles NorthEast of Austin at 3500 feet.
Call up Austin Approach and request to cross the Class C going to San Marcos.
This is your excuse to be in the area!
Be prepared to follow their instructions closely.
Expect to be given Radar Vectors (Headings and Altitudes) just like an IFR Aircraft.
"Turn Right, Fly a heading of 210°, Maintain 3500 feet"
Again, Repeat ALL instruction back to them. "RODGER" is NOT an acceptable response!
If the vector heads you into a cloud, let them know right away.
You must maintain VFR above all else! Do NOT go into IFR no matter what!
At a minimum, you will get VFR Flight following and allowed to pass under or over the airspace.
Just fly the vectors. Be accurate with the Headings and hold your altitude to within 100 ft. Pay attention!
They are watching! This WILL make you a much better pilot in a hurry!

Don't try to land at Austin International!
It will cost you $50+ just to touch the wheels.
And TSA will want to inspect you and the aircraft.
But otherwise, overflying the airport can be one for the bucket list.
They might let you do a low approach if nothing much is going on,
just for the novelty of seeing an aircraft they have never seen before.
ATC is still Free!

Understanding the Airspaces...

Cass E. (The Wild West)
Be careful out there.
You're on your own son!

Class D. (Easy)
Call the Tower 5-10 miles out. Unless otherwise instructed, keep going. (No Clearance given.)
Expect to do all your own navigating just like an uncontrolled field.

Class C. (Harder, but still relatively easy.)
Call Approach 20+ miles out. Unless otherwise instructed, keep going. (No Clearance given.)
Expect to be given a Squawk Code and friendly Radar Service or Radar Flight Following.

Class B. (Hardest.)
Call Approach 30-40 miles out.
STAY OUT! until given a specific Clearance to enter.
"November 123AB is Cleared into the Dallas Class B Airspace, Maintain ....Squawk... "
They are VERY Serious about this part!
Expect to be treated like an IFR Aircraft. Strict Radar vectors will be given.
Other than the Clearance requirement, it is really no more difficult than a Class C.

I have flown into the Class B at Cleveland Hopkins International (CLE) to Circle and Photograph my house under the downwind leg 3 miles from the runway.
Call the Tower on a landline to coordinate this kind of stuff beforehand. They will work with you!

Take another pilot with you that has done this before if you can.
After you do it once, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Bill. (Former Approach Controller)

Yes, ATC really provides a great and valuable service. I make it a habit to be in contact with ATC throughout every flight that leaves the immediate airport vicinity. Being in touch with ATC has numerous advantages. Just yesterday, as I was flying north to meet some friends:

It was a busy day with lots of metal in the sky. I really appreciated the extra pair of eyes watching over me on the radar screen.

Also, listening in on the chatter I got a sense of belonging to a community. I learned where other people were going and mentally followed them on their journey.

Even better, I got to ask ATC if they could coordinate a transition through the control zone and restricted area around Vienna. That saved me some fuel and added some excitement and great scenery to the flight.

There were some showers building in the afternoon and I asked ATC which way looked better to deviate around them. They consulted with their weather radar and told me that it looked better to the south.

I also asked them for an updated weather report on my destination, which assured me that I would be able to get there before showers were going to set in.

And should I ever get into trouble, I am already in touch with someone competent to coordinate whater rescue efforts should be necessary.

And all that is for free!

-- Chris.

In a flight sim, the only somewhat flyable gyros I've found are on X-plane. You'll have to do a search and download the gyro from another site, and import it in. There are multiple tutorials on how to do this on youtube.
As for the the radio you can try this one from Sportys.
Knowing what to expect to hear from ATC is most of the battle.

Your question is specifically about simulation, Jeff, and I do hope the little bit that I can contribute, as someone with zero piloting experience, might still be helpful. I feel your question should perhaps be split in two. I have so far not used a flight simulation to practice ATC, but from reviews I understand that the ATC simulation (somtimes that's add on packages afIkn) is quite OK in most current flight simulation programs. But this is just hear say. What I would really like to share is the experience of a good friend of mine. Two or three years ago he had joined one of those virtual flight clubs which, I am sure, do exist in the US as well. In the evening and on weekends experienced club members "man" the towers of virtual airports and you can "fly" there and get a human counterpart as controler. Also since other club members come in to "land" and have to get into the pattern you get pretty close to the real thing.
Flying an autogyro in a simulation is another matter. As far as I know none of the current sim packages really captures the flight physics of an autogyro, so you can't really practice flying. If someone knows about a sim packages that you consider ok regarding autogyro flying I would love to hear about it.

PS: Bills thorough write up makes great reading, thanks for taking your time for that!

Another fun way to learn the lingo is to pack up the kids and a picnic basket and go to the airport to watch the planes.
You need to be close enough to hear both sides of the conversations.
You can hear planes on a handheld 30 miles out. The tower gets sketchy at 3 miles on the ground.
The Class D might not have a lot of activity but you only need to listen to the Tower and Ground frequencies.

The Class C will have a lot more action.
The approach frequencies are where the action is but the planes will not be visible without binoculars and a very clear day.
Take a chart along to figure out where everyone is before they get close.

If you call ahead, it is not unusual to be able to schmooze a private tour of the Tower.
Especially at a Class D. Really! Dress professionally and they won't get nervous.
Getting into the tower can be easier than trying to get past TSA to your own plane.

Do any airports still have observation decks???

Bill.

Uncle Willie;n1122243 said:
....If you call ahead, it is not unusual to be able to schmooze a private tour of the Tower.
Especially at a Class D. Really! Dress professionally and they won't get nervous.
Getting into the tower can be easier than trying to get past TSA to your own plane.

Bill.

We have a somewhat busy Class D here in Tomball, TX (North Houston). I took a tour of their tower and was surprised at how calm and relaxed they were. I just gave them a call and told them I'm a new pilot that would like to come and see what goes on in the tower. He said come on over!

Jeff, I used this book on ATC procedures. It goes through all sorts of possible scenarios in addition to teaching you how to talk the talk. I found it useful. Its called Radio Mastery, and has a unique method of visualizing, writing and speaking the interaction.

Here is a link to in on Amazon. Probably can be found elsewhere too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...efix=Radio+mastery,aps,199&crid=2ADAN3PG8IAR8

Cheers,

Dave

There's also a free app called "VFR Radio Communications" I haven't tried it, but I'm loading it now to check it out.